Grado Fan Club!
May 23, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #24,976 of 66,180

I got an message from the Grado rep yesterday, and she said that she's going to meet with me at my dealer's next week, and she will bring 3 battery powered RA1 with her, so that I can choose the one that best matches the wood of my RS1.

I look forward to reading your impressions about the RS1.

Are you lucky or WHAT?

May 23, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #24,977 of 66,180
  Are you lucky or WHAT?

I'm not getting my hopes up. The new RS2e, RS1e, and GS1k, all seem to have light colored wood. If the RA1are made from the same batch of wood, I doubt that either of the 3 will match my dark RS1. Oh well.

May 23, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #24,978 of 66,180

Are you lucky or WHAT?

I'm not getting my hopes up. The new RS2e, RS1e, and GS1k, all seem to have light colored wood. If the RA1are made from the same batch of wood, I doubt that either of the 3 will match my dark RS1. Oh well.

What I meant was, aren't you lucky that someone at a company acturally responds to your questions with action?

May 23, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #24,979 of 66,180

If your not satisfied with any of the colors, lightly sand the clear coat of (if there is any?) and get some (Old English Scratch Cover for Dark Wood) and apply it too the wood until you get the color you want…and then if you want you can clear coat the wood again.

May 23, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #24,980 of 66,180
  If your not satisfied with any of the colors, lightly sand the clear coat of (if there is any?) and get some (Old English Scratch Cover for Dark Wood) and apply it too the wood until you get the color you want…and then if you want you can clear coat the wood again.

Whoa!, that is a great idea Joseph!.
rolleyes.gif

Anyone who would get within 10 feet of my new RA1 with even the absolute finnest grit sandpaper, would get bitch slap repeatedly until said sandpaper would fall from their weakend griped hands.
mad.gif

Oh!, by the way, I thought I'd take a new family pictrue, the old avatar didn't have my SR80e, my Bushmills, or my RS1.

May 23, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #24,981 of 66,180
  Whoa!, that is a great idea Joseph!.
size]

Anyone who would get within 10 feet of my new RA1 with even the absolute finnest grit sandpaper, would get bitch slap repeatedly until said sandpaper would fall from their weakend griped hands.
mad.gif

Oh!, by the way, I thought I'd take a new family pictrue, the old avatar didn't have my SR80e, my Bushmills, or my RS1.

OK, so I'm a bit confused…do you like the idea or not? Only asking because of your comment after saying its a great idea, which made me LMAO. 
smile.gif
 The Old English really works great!
Nice family portrait.
beerchug.gif

May 23, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #24,982 of 66,180

What I meant was, aren't you lucky that someone at a company acturally responds to your questions with action?

Yeah!, you're right, I am lucky, I have to remind myself sometimes that not everyone has access to a Grado dealer within walking distance (about 1 mile) from my home.

Heck!, I've even met with the former Grado rep (now retired), on many occasions, both at my dealers, and at the Montréal Hi-Fi show. The new rep is a women, and the fact that she's willing to bring all her battery powered RA1 to my dealer's, just because I want my ''purse''- (RS1), to match my ''shoes''-(RA1).
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #24,983 of 66,180
  OK, so I'm a bit confused…do you like the idea or not? Only asking because of your comment after saying its a great idea, which made me LMAO. 
smile.gif
 The Old English really works great!
Nice family portrait.
beerchug.gif

I do like the idea, it's just that I'd be scared sh&tless that I would mess it up. 

May 23, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #24,984 of 66,180
OK, I've been using Sony CDP-C 6-7-801ES models since 1990 and happen too really like their quality from this era. I haven't used the DAC/amp in these players for a very long time, but at some points I have plugged my HP's directly into the HP output and enjoyed the sound very much. I've just about had enough of these vintage players drawers failing on me and having too fix them over and over again, so I'm hear asking some advice on a quality transport (5-disc if they exist) being I use an external DAC/amp for a long time now…or possibly a quality Cd player (5-disc carousel) without breaking the bank, because I do use my MBP (ALAC) files imported to my iTunes library from my Cd's as my main source and rarely use my Cd's anymore, but still want a transport/player if I choose to use Cd's as my source being I have many of them. Any thoughts/suggestions from anyones opinions/experiences would be appreciated. In the mean time I will also do my own research as well.
Thanks.

May 24, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #24,985 of 66,180
  OK, I've been using Sony CDP-C 6-7-801ES models since 1990 and happen too really like their quality from this era. I haven't used the DAC/amp in these players for a very long time, but at some points I have plugged my HP's directly into the HP output and enjoyed the sound very much. I've just about had enough of these vintage players drawers failing on me and having too fix them over and over again, so I'm hear asking some advice on a quality transport (5-disc if they exist) being I use an external DAC/amp for a long time now…or possibly a quality Cd player (5-disc carousel) without breaking the bank, because I do use my MBP (ALAC) files imported to my iTunes library from my Cd's as my main source and rarely use my Cd's anymore, but still want a transport/player if I choose to use Cd's as my source being I have many of them. Any thoughts/suggestions from anyones opinions/experiences would be appreciated. In the mean time I will also do my own research as well.
Thanks.

I am not sure about any transport cd players, Joseph, but you could rip all of your cd's to flac files.....then you would not need a cd transport.......unless you just like spinning the cd's....I know some people do.

May 24, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #24,986 of 66,180
  I am not sure about any transport cd players, Joseph, but you could rip all of your cd's to flac files.....then you would not need a cd transport.......unless you just like spinning the cd's....I know some people do.

Thanks…yes I would like to have a Cd player in my main system besides using (ALAC) files through my MBP. I decided its not worth the price for me to get a Cd transport after doing some research last night. I also realized that I don't need a 5-disc player anymore considering I use the MBP 95% of the time to listen too my music. I just want to have the option to listen too either, so I think I may purchase either the Cambridge 651C or the 351C Cd player and be done with it…but I would like to do a some more research before making the purchase. Thanks whirlwind.
beerchug.gif

May 24, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #24,987 of 66,180
Thanks…yes I would like to have a Cd player in my main system besides using (ALAC) files through my MBP. I decided its not worth the price for me to get a Cd transport after doing some research last night. I also realized that I don't need a 5-disc player anymore considering I use the MBP 95% of the time to listen too my music. I just want to have the option to listen too either, so I think I may purchase either the Cambridge 651C or the 351C Cd player and be done with it…but I would like to do a some more research before making the purchase. Thanks whirlwind.
:beerchug:

Joesesph, I have a Cambridge universal player, that also does blue ray, excellent sounding, and has been very reliable.

May 24, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #24,988 of 66,180
Joseph, I have a Cambridge universal player, that also does blue ray, excellent sounding, and has been very reliable.

Thanks for the reply.
My main concern is that some of my Cd's are slightly scratched, and I have found that the vintage Sony's do not skip at all with them. I had once purchased a newer Sony SACD-222ES and I couldn't believe how badly my Cd's were skipping, which is what made me go back to the vintage models, so I'm just a bit weary about a newer Cd player skipping with some of the Cd's I have.
Have you come across this issue with the Cambridge?
Thanks. 

May 24, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #24,989 of 66,180
@joseph69  - not sure whether you are requiring your CD player to give you digital output or not (if so... please let me know what you choose).

But if not... I recommend the vintage Sony Discman D-25, if you can find it and are prepared for a bit of a hassle.

It was rated as the top of several portable CD players here.  I have one, and I recount my travails in getting it running here.  (Oh thank you, @paradoxper, for teaching me how to embed links without printing the entire link!!)

In short, I bought it non-working off of eBay for about $35, then after bravely attempting to fix it myself, sent it to a place on eBay that is a couple of former Sony technicians who repair these (and have their parts!!), for a flat rate of $149 and two weeks of waiting.

I have it back... I LOVE it!  It still does not have the battery (not true... I jury-rigged a battery setup to make it portable according to instructions here which I summarize in that thread about getting it running, pointing to links where I got the necessary parts).  It will last for about 100 min of playing on one charge, but since this Discman predates all the error correction coding that make portable CD players bump resistant, you will probably only transport it rather than actually carry it around (although as old and slow as I am, I can move around without it skipping!).

Sounds like a lot of trouble, and certainly not able to give you digital output.  But for me, the sound quality is SOOO SUPERIOR to any other portable or desk-sized CD player (Technics 5-CD changer) I have that it is the one I use.

May 24, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #24,990 of 66,180
  @joseph69  - not sure whether you are requiring your CD player to give you digital output or not (if so... please let me know what you choose).

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I should have stated that I do use optical out, but like I've mentioned, I've been using vintage Sonys for a very long time, and I do love them very much, but their drawers always fail and I'm tired of repairing them, and the new Sonys IMO are poor quality. Build/performance doesn't even come close too the vintage model made in Japan. I currently own both the 601ES/701ES…the 601 I purchased about 1 year ago NOS/NIB and the drawer is starting to act up, and the 701 which is used but in beautiful condition needs some TLC in the spindle area, which I've yet too look into, but it does work. So as of now I'm just doing research to see if I should stop playing around with these models and just move on too something new. BTW, my first Sony CDP-C-77ES worked fine for 20 years being used nearly every single day…until the drawer gave up and I no longer had the patience to keep fixing it. I'm also looking at this (Sony CDP-515) but I'm weary about the drawer failing in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back