Grado Fan Club!
May 23, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #24,961 of 65,717
  I seen these last night on eBay, and was thinking about a pair myself (having already had them) but preferred the 325is over them, but these were/are incredible sounding HP's and I wouldn't mind having them…at all! Jump on them Jay!

peer pressure joseph ?? 

i succumbed...   
wink_face.gif

May 23, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #24,962 of 65,717
Thanks! I think we wont HAVE a TV there, in the first place. Forgot to specify that this is a prospect picture, so we'll have different furniture in there when we move in, come july. Neither me and my gf watch much TV, but I think I will put my projector there somehow. :)

That said; IF we get a TV at some point, I'll buy some wireless cans of sorts, for instance some Senns, for the TV. Hehe
Yup.:)

Absolutely Beautiful, well at least in July :wink:!

May 23, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #24,964 of 65,717

Just curious, do you have the 1 X 9V, or the 2 X 9V ?, also, wich OP amp are you using ?.

I have the 2 X 9V, but I also ordered the AC power supply, and all 7 OP amps, I like the 4556 (same as Grado RA1), but I prefer the Burr Brown 2207.

I may be repeating myself, but I think that this amp sounds great, regardless of it's low price, I also think that the fact that it comes in a mint tin is very cool.

I just have the 1X9V, It has almost been 10 years since I purchased it and I don't think he offered the 2X9V, I tempted to get one to see what it sounds like it. I prefer the Burr Brown 2207 too, it sounds so good.  The amp sounds fantastic, It powers my HD600 &650 without a problem. Amazing little amp for the money and I do love the mint tin. Nice little touch. I'm glad you enjoy yours as much I do mine.

May 23, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #24,966 of 65,717
  I do not know if anyone here is into this kindof music...

Pure enjoyment with the PS500e. Overall may have listened 3-4 hours today :)

More my style (genre wise. the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired):

May 23, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #24,967 of 65,717
  Comparing the Grado Headphones:  Part 2 - The Little Woodies:  RS1i, RS1, and RS2i

The HPA1 amp... highest perfoming in the tests above, was used for all of these comparisons.  Here are the results.

<snip, snip>

Surprisingly, the RS2 came out with the highest overall preference score.  It exceeded the transparency of the others and was tops in high-frequency detail features of bass finger pluck, variation of a shaker, the reedy ripping quality of brass and organ, and the ability to discern a small change among complex loud orchestral activity.  

In an earlier comparison (here), I had found that I placed the Sennheiser HD 800, the PS1000, and the RS1i within a point of each other, with the RS1i ahead.  This result here indicates that the RS1i scores the lowest in overall preference among the "small woodies," so the RS1 (with buttons) and the RS2i score higher than the HD 800 and PS1000 for me.  

Umm... OK.

Nice work on these reviews and I appreciate the effort involved. I recall that earlier review of the RS1i versus the HD-800 and PS1000, but I don't recall the amps used (which makes a huge difference, IMO).

However, on that last part, where the RS2i scores higher that the HD-800 is where you lose me.

May 23, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #24,968 of 65,717

More my style (genre wise. the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired):

Nice. I had Pantera on MC. I had a more rich friend. I copied a lot of his CDs. He was a huge Metal fan. (more than 15 years ago)

Youtube is often not a good source, but some acts are only available on youtube... I wish Youtube would enhance its audio part. Like one can watch HD-Videos, why not add lossless audio too...

May 23, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #24,969 of 65,717
Absolutely Beautiful, well at least in July :wink:!

Thanks man. I agreed :wink:

Oh, and a general question. When my Aune T1 recently had a critical meltdown (got a replacement now), and something in it burned, there was a kind of half loud, but not ear shattering, static like sound which moved into the right cup. I quickly pulled out my PS1000's, and the amp somehow worked afterwards, but I got a bit worried that there perhaps was a voltage spike or whatever, potentially damaging the PS1000's without me noticing yet. Just to get some peace of mind, and calm down my OCD, how does this actually work in practice?Is it possible to 'burn' the drivers or solder points of hp's due to a critical amp failure? The sound wasn't all that loud, so I'm not too worried about THAT part. Anyone?

May 23, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #24,970 of 65,717

Umm... OK.

Nice work on these reviews and I appreciate the effort involved. I recall that earlier review of the RS1i versus the HD-800 and PS1000, but I don't recall the amps used (which makes a huge difference, IMO).

However, on that last part, where the RS2i scores higher that the HD-800 is where you lose me.

The amp on the HD 800 in that first comparison was the Sennheiser HDVD 800, while the amp for the RS1i and the PS1000 were both the HPA1 amp of Joseph Grado Signature Products.

The RS1i scored essentially the same as the HD 800.  Then in a later comparison, when I compared the RS1, RS1i, and RS2i to each other (again with the HPA1 amp), the 10 acoustic feature preferences totaled higher on the RS1 than the RS1i, and higher still on the RS2i than the RS1i.  That is because the RS1 had bit more bass and more high-frequency detail than the RS1i, which had more transparency, and because the RS2i had the highest transparency of the three.

The placing of the RS2i over the HD 800 is derived from RS1i = HD 800  and RS2i > RS1 > RS1i.  It would be interesting to next compare the HD 800 and RS2i side by side with a third headphone (third one only because the whole method is set up to compare three at a time).

Of course, summing 10 comparison scores on acoustic features weights each of them equally, while our listening preferences likely emphasizes one type over the other.  For me, I place high importance on transparency (which is why I like Grados so much), with importance also on sound stage and bass.  So an overall preference of "which headphone would you choose" or "which do you listen to the most" would not particularly match the answer to the question "which headphone scored the highest in these 10 point comparisons." 

So no fear, I do not plan to trade in my HD 800 / HDVD 800 for another RS2i (or the newer version RS2e, which I have not heard but those who heard it prefer it to the RS2i). 

But it sure surprised me that the RS2i came out so high!

May 23, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #24,971 of 65,717
  So no fear, I do not plan to trade in my HD 800 / HDVD 800 for another RS2i (or the newer version RS2e, which I have not heard but those who heard it prefer it to the RS2i). 

But it sure surprised me that the RS2i came out so high!

OK, well, great explanation. I am surprised, as I've read (don't own one) that the HDVD 800 is an ultimate pairing for the HD-800.

Maybe I need to spend some time away from my tubes and Senns and get back on-board with my RS2i 
beerchug.gif

May 23, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #24,972 of 65,717
Maybe I need to spend some time away from my tubes and Senns and get back on-board with my RS2i 
beerchug.gif

Come home, Krutsch. Come home.

I myself have been putting in a lot of time recently on some HD 600s I bought because there was a deal I couldn't pass up (I think I'm gonna make them a project headphone and mod them).

When I really want to sit down and just get utterly lost in the music, I take the 600s off and put on my Grados.

May 23, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #24,973 of 65,717
Youtube is often not a good source, but some acts are only available on youtube... I wish Youtube would enhance its audio part. Like one can watch HD-Videos, why not add lossless audio too...

I agree 100%... They should add the option, anyway. Trying to stream HD video and uncompressed audio probably wouldn't work well for people who don't have really good bandwidth but it'd be nice to have the option.

May 23, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #24,975 of 65,717
  Addicted to Grado thats for sure, got a pair of PS1000, RS2e, PS500e, MS Pro and Bushmills.

Damn, was almost about to jump on a pair of old buttoned RS1 but seems like the sale is pending
tongue.gif

Been grooving with my recently acquired PS1000 for 8 hours today, lots of listening and getting acquainted with her. So so good, bliss is the right word for it. Been listening to Alice Cooper, Zeppelin, Janis Joplin, SRV, Guns N Roses, LA Guns, Witchfinder General and some Judas Priest today. I've been off work for a week, so I've got tomorrow to do some more listening. Gotta be the most underrated flagship by people on this site I reckon, doesn't get the dues it deserves for its amazing verve, staging, it just involves you so much and is intoxicating.

At last, another Bushmills owner,(satisfied I presume), I know I am.

We seem to gravitate towards the same Grados. I love my PS1k too, and I recently aquired a pair of n.o.s. buttoned classic RS1. I still prefer my PS1000, but the RS1 are definately giving my HP1000 a run for their money, for second place.

I got an message from the Grado rep yesterday, and she said that she's going to meet with me at my dealer's next week, and she will bring 3 battery powered RA1 with her, so that I can choose the one that best matches the wood of my RS1.

I look forward to reading your impressions about the RS1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back