Grado Fan Club!
May 24, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #24,991 of 65,933
I've been using vintage Sonys for a very long time, and I do love them very much, but their drawers always fail

Gee... my drawers NEVER fail!

However, I fear that my ears do!

Can you tell the difference between a SR225i and SR325e (by listening?)*

In this comparison, I found that the SR325e and the SR225i scored equally on each of 10 acoustic features that I was comparing.  A second and a third test (I have both on now!) confirm that I cannot reliably tell any difference in their sound.  Here, "reliably" means that I think that if someone were putting one on my head, then another, in random and not necessarily back-and-forth order, would I be able to tell which I was listening to, or even if the current headphone were the same or different as the previous one.

I first point out that volume leveling is still necessary to make them match, as the SR 325e is more efficient and louder for given input than the SR255i.

However, aside from volume, can YOU tell a difference?

This has to be with the SR 325e (not 325 or 325i) and the SR 225i (not 225 or 225e).  I don't know of anyone else who has both, but I do.

This finding startled me at first, as the SR325 is known as the brightest of the Grados, while the SR225 is more middle of the road.  But then I remembered that the -e series in general extends the bass and tames the treble as compared to the i, so perhaps the e of the SR 325e has tamed it to come closer to the SR225i of the brighter i series.

Be interested if anyone else has both and can compare them.

May 24, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #24,992 of 65,933
OK, as a result of my continual predilection to place my Personal assets (which are not big enough to call "wealth") at the disposal of The Grado Fan Club of head-fi.org, I have BOUGHT a pair of the gold 325i's off eBay just now, with the goal of seeing whether they return the brightness for which the 325's are known.  Oh the things I do for my hobby!

I am aided in this by the fact that I first bought, then sold back, a pair of gold 325i's to head-fier @kalki11 .  He sold his with the idea of buying the more recent 325e's.  When he got the 325e's he was VERY disappointed.  They were not as bright as his beloved SR325i in gold, the Grado 50th Anniversary Gold edition.  He then bought and sold several other versions of the SR325 (original, is, ...).  So since he clearly missed them (and they were his main headphones), I sold them back and bought @jaywillin 's 325e's. 

So I will soon be able to compare the older SR325i to the current 325e, hopefully finding the 325i's Much Brighter.  Look for a report from me after they arrive in early June.

Aren't headphones FUN??????

May 24, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #24,993 of 65,933
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I should have stated that I do use optical out, but like I've mentioned, I've been using vintage Sonys for a very long time, and I do love them very much, but their drawers always fail and I'm tired of repairing them, and the new Sonys IMO are poor quality. Build/performance doesn't even come close too the vintage model made in Japan. I currently own both the 601ES/701ES…the 601 I purchased about 1 year ago NOS/NIB and the drawer is starting to act up, and the 701 which is used but in beautiful condition needs some TLC in the spindle area, which I've yet too look into, but it does work. So as of now I'm just doing research to see if I should stop playing around with these models and just move on too something new. BTW, my first Sony CDP-C-77ES worked fine for 20 years being used nearly every single day…until the drawer gave up and I no longer had the patience to keep fixing it. I'm also looking at this [COLOR=FF0000](Sony CDP-515)[/COLOR] but I'm weary about the drawer failing in the near future.

Sounds like you would be a candidate for a non-drawer player/transport. Rega, for example sound very good as a player, and have a solidly built transport.

May 24, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #24,994 of 65,933
  OK, as a result of my continual predilection to place my Personal assets (which are not big enough to call "wealth") at the disposal of The Grado Fan Club of head-fi.org, I have BOUGHT a pair of the gold 325i's off eBay just now, with the goal of seeing whether they return the brightness for which the 325's are known.  Oh the things I do for my hobby!

I am aided in this by the fact that I first bought, then sold back, a pair of gold 325i's to head-fier @kalki11 .  He sold his with the idea of buying the more recent 325e's.  When he got the 325e's he was VERY disappointed.  They were not as bright as his beloved SR325i in gold, the Grado 50th Anniversary Gold edition.  He then bought and sold several other versions of the SR325 (original, is, ...).  So since he clearly missed them (and they were his main headphones), I sold them back and bought @jaywillin 's 325e's. 

So I will soon be able to compare the older SR325i to the current 325e, hopefully finding the 325i's Much Brighter.  Look for a report from me after they arrive in early June.

and i have a new alessandro ms2i coming soon, alessandro is clearing out the last of their "i" stock, 
i wonder where it'll will fit in with the 325i and 325e , should prove interesting !

May 24, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #24,995 of 65,933
Thanks for the reply.
My main concern is that some of my Cd's are slightly scratched, and I have found that the vintage Sony's do not skip at all with them. I had once purchased a newer Sony SACD-222ES and I couldn't believe how badly my Cd's were skipping, which is what made me go back to the vintage models, so I'm just a bit weary about a newer Cd player skipping with some of the Cd's I have.
Have you come across this issue with the Cambridge?
Thanks. 

Joeseph, no I haven't had any problems at all with skipping. Was on the road yesterday and couldn't remember the model, my player is an Azur 650BD. Doesn't have the greatest onboard DAC, but serves as a pretty good transport.

May 24, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #24,996 of 65,933
Sounds like you would be a candidate for a non-drawer player/transport. Rega, for example sound very good as a player, and have a solidly built transport.

Yes, I am considering purchasing the Cambridge 651C which is a single Cd player, but still has a drawer, but has much less moving parts due to it not being a carousel. I did look at the Rega  being I have the Rega DAC, but for the amount of time I use my Cd's it really dosen't pay for me to purchase the Rega. Thank you for your suggestion. 
smile.gif

May 24, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #24,997 of 65,933
Joeseph, no I haven't had any problems at all with skipping. Was on the road yesterday and couldn't remember the model, my player is an Azur 650BD. Doesn't have the greatest onboard DAC, but serves as a pretty good transport.

I'm highly considering pulling the trigger on the 651C just too use as a transport to the Rega DAC. Thank you.

May 24, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #24,998 of 65,933
  Thanks…yes I would like to have a Cd player in my main system besides using (ALAC) files through my MBP. I decided its not worth the price for me to get a Cd transport after doing some research last night. I also realized that I don't need a 5-disc player anymore considering I use the MBP 95% of the time to listen too my music. I just want to have the option to listen too either, so I think I may purchase either the Cambridge 651C or the 351C Cd player and be done with it…but I would like to do a some more research before making the purchase. Thanks whirlwind.
beerchug.gif

In my opinion, some of the most underrated players, are the Technics from the late 80's, to the early 90's, with their 1 Bit MASH D/A converters. They are also very reliable. Two years ago, I bought a mint SL-PS700, it's a full size 12 pounds single disc,MASH player, with a dead silent transport. It was a top tier Technics player, so there are not that many out there. However I also have a Technics SL-PG340. It too, is a MASH single disc player. It sounds very nice and these are everywhere, and people are pretty much giving them away. These two players are hooked up through my vintage Marantz recievers, and I use them to copy my CD's onto my reel to reel tape recorders. This means A LOT of wear and tear on the CD players, and so far,  I've had no issues wathsoever.

Another player that I've heard, that also sounds great and was regarded as a best buy is the Rega Apollo single CD player. It will be more expensive than the Technics, but it does sound great. I have never compared them side by side, but the Technics as a better price vs performance ratio.

Oh!, I forgot to mention, the lower tier Technics don't have a digital output, however their MASH converters are so good, that you probably wouldn't care.

I hope this helps Buddy.
beerchug.gif

Damn!, I forgot tha I wasn't on the last pare of this thread. Disregard what ever doesn't meet your criterias. Sorry!.

May 24, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #24,999 of 65,933
  I'm highly considering pulling the trigger on the 651C just too use as a transport to the Rega DAC. Thank you.

I'm glad to read this... I absolutely LOVE my Rega DAC. When I listen to other DACs at meets, they sound like they are yelling at me - very subjective, I know, but the folks at Rega are on to something and I'm a loyal customer, as a result.
I've considered adding an Apollo spinner to the stack... always something else to purchase. 
beerchug.gif

May 24, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #25,000 of 65,933

Yes, I am considering purchasing the Cambridge 651C which is a single Cd player, but still has a drawer, but has much less moving parts due to it not being a carousel. I did look at the Rega  being I have the Rega DAC, but for the amount of time I use my Cd's it really dosen't pay for me to purchase the Rega. Thank you for your suggestion. 
smile.gif

I've had a JVC XL-Z1010 for about 25 years.  It's had a few problems, fixed, but the drawer was not one of them.  Also have the 1050 for about 20 years and it has had NO problems whatsoever.  2 cents.

May 24, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #25,002 of 65,933
  I'm glad to read this... I absolutely LOVE my Rega DAC. When I listen to other DACs at meets, they sound like they are yelling at me - very subjective, I know, but the folks at Rega are on to something and I'm a loyal customer, as a result.
I've considered adding an Apollo spinner to the stack... always something else to purchase. 
beerchug.gif

I've had a JVC XL-Z1010 for about 25 years.  It's had a few problems, fixed, but the drawer was not one of them.  Also have the 1050 for about 20 years and it has had NO problems whatsoever.  2 cents.

Funny, but I didn't care for the Rega DAC when I purchased it, but then 6-months after leaving it in the closet I decided too really give it a listen , and it is a great DAC!!!

Now thats how long my Sony 77ES lasted, that too me is a great product!
I really wish the Sonys (at least the current ones I own/owned didn't have this issue…it seems they are notorious for this. 
frown.gif

May 25, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #25,003 of 65,933

If its just a CD transport you want this is one of the best Cyrus CD t
http://www.cyrusaudio.com/product/cd-players/cd-transport

May 25, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #25,005 of 65,933

Dedication!!

The funny/sad thing is that the price of a 325 doesn't seem like much for a headphone these days, at least not compared to all of the flagships floating above $1,000. I remember a time—not that long ago—when there weren't really any production headphones costing $1,000.

But I digress…

Interested to hear your thoughts when you get the 325i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back