Grado e Series
Jun 29, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #5,206 of 6,729
  Your very welcome…just don't want too see you buy a HP you won't like/can't return.
From what I understand, you can't go wrong with the RS2e, and you can buy then "NEW" from an authorized Grado dealer for $495.00U.S.

Technically speaking, distance selling regulation allows you to open, inspect, and try, goods bought online. (In the UK anyway.) I don't know if a private seller has to abide by this rule though.

With ebay, you have seven days for change of mind, if bought under a 'buy it now auction'. I think the item has to be in the same condition though, i.e. un-opened, and packaging in same condition.

I think it's wise advice to warn someone from buying in this case. The only alternative is to ask the seller if it's OK to try the headphones. Still however it falls under whether warranty is upheld by Grado.

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #5,207 of 6,729
  Technically speaking, distance selling regulation allows you to open, inspect, and try, goods bought online. (In the UK anyway.) I don't know if a private seller has to abide by this rule though.

With ebay, you have seven days for change of mind, if bought under a 'buy it now auction'. I think the item has to be in the same condition though, i.e. un-opened, and packaging in same condition.

I think it's wise advice to warn someone from buying in this case. The only alternative is to ask the seller if it's OK to try the headphones. Still however it falls under whether warranty is upheld by Grado.

There are many ebay sellers that have no return policy. I don't know the General rules from eBay but in practice, there are lots of sellers that has "no return policy".

Jun 29, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #5,208 of 6,729

There are many ebay sellers that have no return policy. I don't know the General rules from eBay but in practice, there are lots of sellers that has "no return policy".

eBay notes in fine print on every listing on its USA platform that it retains the right to
step in and "force" a return if the item is non-conforming.

Jun 29, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #5,209 of 6,729
UK ebay allow 7 days on change on mind/cooling off period, abiding with distance selling regulation. However that only applies to 'Buy it Now'. It does not apply to bidding auctions. Look it up. (I believe the purpose of stating 'No Returns', means the seller is not offering a grace period, as some do. Some allow fourteen days, and some even longer.)

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #5,210 of 6,729

Hey, even with my 13 Grados spanning all that they make, I listen to my SR60 Very Often, particularly when I start a listening session.  I always just listen in amazement that a headphone so economical can sound SOOOO Good!  Also, the SR60 has a bit more bass response than the other members of the SR series (-80, -125, -225, -325).

Listen with joy and pride!

Can I get a little clarification around that bass statement?  I've read different things.  Some ppl say the sr60e has more bass, some say the sr80e has more, some say the sr80e has 'more extended' bass, etc, etc.

Do the sr80e go deeper, but perhaps the sr60e has a more pronounced mid-bass bump while not extending as deep as the sr80e?  

Also, how's the treble on the sr60e vs sr80e.  I've looked at the graphs on headphone.com, but they don't have updated graphs for the e series.  However, the graphs they have show a large mid-bass bump for the 60 compared to the others.

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #5,211 of 6,729
  eBay notes in fine print on every listing on its USA platform that it retains the right to
step in and "force" a return if the item is non-conforming.

Yes but thats only if the item is damaged/not as described. If the seller doesn't accept returns, he doesn't have to accept a return…I just purchased an (obsolete) part for $300.00 NOS/NIB from eBay from a seller with no return policy and found out 1 day later there was1 NOS for the original retail price of $100.00 a local dealer had located for me from another dealer, and I kindly asked the seller to accept my return…thankfully he is going too or I would have paid 3x the amount.

Jun 29, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #5,212 of 6,729
  Can I get a little clarification around that bass statement?  I've read different things.  Some ppl say the sr60e has more bass, some say the sr80e has more, some say the sr80e has 'more extended' bass, etc, etc.

Do the sr80e go deeper, but perhaps the sr60e has a more pronounced mid-bass bump while not extending as deep as the sr80e?  

Also, how's the treble on the sr60e vs sr80e.  I've looked at the graphs on headphone.com, but they don't have updated graphs for the e series.  However, the graphs they have show a large mid-bass bump for the 60 compared to the others.

SR60 is light blue; SR80 is red.  The rest of the SR line (-125, -225, -325) have bass that follows the SR80 (as shown by the orange and  green curves), meaning that the SR60 is the strongest in bass response below 100 Hz.

Jun 29, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #5,214 of 6,729
No, i series... predates the e.

Jun 29, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #5,217 of 6,729
Maybe... folks who compare the -e to the -i say that the -e has less treble fatigue (actually, I think they say "more treble politeness") and better bass extension.

Here is a comparison I made of the SR325i, SR325is, and SR325e (first chart - 3(blue) means best in that acoustic category of the three).  As you might know, the SR325 is known as the brightest of the Grados, yet in its e- version, it was identical, to my ears, to the SR225i - the taming of its trebles brought it back to average! (second chart).

Yet if you grab the frequency response curve from innerfidelity of the SR325i and the SR325i and trace one to lie on top of the other, the difference does not look very great:

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #5,218 of 6,729
Thanks for that.  Im just surprised with all the grado love, that there aren't updated graphs for the e series yet.  It's been a while! :)

I think I may pick up the sr60e.  I had the sr225e for a while, but I just couldn't justify the $200 at the time.  Also, I couldn't stand the L pads or the super thick cord.  The comfies/thinner cord of the 60/80 should be ok for me.  Plus I still have some quarter-modded comfies and HD414s.  I just wish I could see some frequencies of them.  

From what I gather so far... the sr60e would be similar to the ksc75 but with better soundstage, more extended bass with less mid-hump, and slightly brighter upper mids/highs.

Sound accurate?  If so I'll probably pull the trigger.

UNLESS.. the sr80e is the same except better . Hahaha.  

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #5,219 of 6,729
^

I owned both. I don't know if my sr60e was defect or what but it sounds warm and really thick, while lacking the usual resolution of a grado headphones. I have the sr60 to compare against the e.
The sr80e sounds like a normal Grado Prestige Series. Just less refinements than the 325e. Less awesome in comparison, but still great for the price.

Jun 29, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #5,220 of 6,729

Those Headroom graphs show the SR60x vs SR80x as I remember it when I auditioned them. I recall it like it was yesterday auditioning them both together. The sub-bass of the SR60x added something not present in one particular track I was listening to closely.

The Innerfidelity graphs show the 60 and 80 to be more similar.

Bear in mind that relatively little seems to have changed in frequency response in the SR series. I mean over the generations of them. It's been more about refinements. The i-series were a little more dynamic. The e-series more clear and solid.

Personally I think the 60 has the edge in sub-bass. Whereas the 80 has the edge in highs detail, by feeling faster. Choosing between the two is a very tricky choice. However I would say the SR60e is a superb headphone, and you will unlikely be disappointed. Also, the SR80e is being hailed as an outstanding headphone. The best bet, if you can is to audition.

That's what I think anyway. Someone may disagree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back