Grado e Series
Jun 30, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #5,236 of 6,729
  Mine (when I had them), the 60e protrudes out at least 1.5 cm outward, and with the way you took the picture, the protrude is noticeable. (i.e. No need to take close-up macro photograph to see them).
And my 60e does not sound the same with my 80e.

So maybe Grado did, like Mercuttio said, do some building adjustments along the way. That said... I would say there is a definite possibility in my mind that the rs1e of early batches (and demo units that is likely to come from those early batches), sounded different than the rs1e that Mercuttio owns.

As your written short summary of 60e does not sound like what I hear from my old 60e. (More sub-bass, very thick on the lower midrange, quite lacking in resolution in comparison to the 80e, or the old sr60). Basically just sounds all-around like a cheap Chi-Fi headphones.

I am holding them in my hands, mine are exactly the same housings with no protrusion. I can swear it on a Bible if you want. XD

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #5,237 of 6,729
Assume he means mm ie 1.5mm not 1.5cm ! I think that would be quite notable difference !

Anyway they look identical to me. 

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #5,238 of 6,729
  Assume he means mm ie 1.5mm not 1.5cm ! I think that would be quite notable difference !

Really? Are we talking about 1.5mm? Come on, they make good drugs to treat OCD. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #5,239 of 6,729
  I am holding them in my hands, mine are exactly the same housings with no protrusion. I can swear it on a Bible if you want. XD

It's clear it looks relatively the same.
To me, your sr60e provides a weight to Mercuttio's statement that his rs1e sounds Good and that there could have been a difference somewhere on the built... than the early batches of the rs1e that wasn't popular here.

I've demoed rs1e (early batch) from the single local Retailer, and they are as mediocre as everybody here said.

Quote:

I'm noty going to fuss over 1.5mm differences.
I brought out a ruler before I made that previous post to be as accurate as my memory could be from owning them.

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #5,240 of 6,729
I recently tested out grados entry level e series offerings paired with my galaxy s5 and I was quite surprised by how nice the bottom end on the egrado sounded, it made the sr60e and sr80e sound quite anaemic in comparison. Now if only the comfort was a bit better I'd be very tempted to grab a pair.

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #5,241 of 6,729
15mm & 1.5mm is some difference At 15mm the standard pads wouldn't even fit and the drivers would protrude so much with bowls that they would be flush with the cushion so sorry but I don't think I was being fussy when I questioned what you were saying.

Anyway my 80e isn't like that thankfully and is an amazing headphone so much more refined and therefore more versatile than the 80i. No metallic harshness to the highs, little sibilance nicely balnced and natural.Prefer it to my DT999 pro at the moment.

Jun 30, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #5,243 of 6,729
  Really? Are we talking about 1.5mm? Come on, they make good drugs to treat OCD. 
bigsmile_face.gif

I just want to say that my SR80e have the red drivers, an they are perfectly flush with the earcups.

Good thing I don't have OCD, I take enough meds as it is.
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #5,244 of 6,729

I don't think the HF output on the GS1e will suit my needs (test link in sig). Whats a good price for a new RS1i? The best I've found so far is $595.

Try Overture Audio Ann Arbor, MI. They were and perhaps still are offering 25% off of Grado -I products, and if they still have an RS1i, that would make it $525. 734 662 1812. Closed Monday, so try after 11:00 am Tuesday.

Thanks for the info. I called, he checked and they were out of the i version. Think I'll wait a couple days for my ie800 to arrive and reassess at that point. Hopefully I don't regret waiting.

Jun 30, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #5,245 of 6,729
Really? Are we talking about 1.5mm? Come on, they make good drugs to treat OCD. :bigsmile_face:

I think the difference between 1.5cm and 1.5mm is 13.5 mm or over 1/2" ? !? 1.5mm is not a lot maybe even within tolerances of a poorly assembled product but 1.5cm or 15mm is a significant amount indicating a different design altogether.

Or are you all another planet from me ?

Jun 30, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #5,246 of 6,729

Thanks for the info. I called, he checked and they were out of the i version. Think I'll wait a couple days for my ie800 to arrive and reassess at that point. Hopefully I don't regret waiting.

I'm sorry they didn't have it.  I just 30 min ago bought from them the Grado RS2e, to go with the RS2i I had bought from them three months ago at that 25% discount.

The RS2i scored the best in my evaluation of 13 Grado headphones (see my signature).  I then took my RS2i to Overture Audio to compare with their RS2e, found that the RS2e was even better, so just now bought it!

Jun 30, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #5,247 of 6,729
I think the difference between 1.5cm and 1.5mm is 13.5 mm or over 1/2" ? !? 1.5mm is not a lot maybe even within tolerances of a poorly assembled product but 1.5cm or 15mm is a significant amount indicating a different design altogether.

Or are you all another planet from me ?

I agree with you, so I guess we're from the same planet.
beerchug.gif

Jul 1, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #5,248 of 6,729
Jul 1, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #5,249 of 6,729

I have both 60e and 80e in front of me. They sound the same except the 60e has a strange metalic accent in the highs (that AM radio tinniness that you mention). 

I have made blind tests by the way and it is hard to hear the differences. 

Yes, I was really surprised by that aspect of the 60e sound signature. I actually bought two pair to make sure it wasn't a defect in the first pair, but the second pair sounded the same. 

As another poster said, the igrado has a beautiful, beautiful sound signature. It has a lush, warm sound, with terrific bass impact. I just could not tolerate the discomfort of the headband design: way too tight. I really wish I could have kept those.

I bought the egrado, which is more comfortable, but it has an odd graininess and just did not sound clean at all. A bit more bass, certainly, than 60e or 80e, but the lack of refinement just did not sit well with me. 

I've settled in nicely with Koss KSC75's which have the detail in both bass and treble I'm looking for, but with a cleaner, refined sound and without the exaggerated bass of say portapro, or exaggerated treble of some of the grado models.

Jul 1, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #5,250 of 6,729
I recently tested out grados entry level e series offerings paired with my galaxy s5 and I was quite surprised by how nice the bottom end on the egrado sounded, it made the sr60e and sr80e sound quite anaemic in comparison. Now if only the comfort was a bit better I'd be very tempted to grab a pair.

Well, the egrado is a major upgrade in comfort over the igrado. The igrado's sounded even better but the comfort level was unacceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back