First step into audiophile territory
Jul 27, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #61 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belabor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FX500 for Rock, Electronic, Drum and Bass, or should I look at different IEM's?
Is the short cable really a nuisance, or is it not that bad?
Will I need a FiiO E5, or is that the best way to throw away my money?
Any information would really be of help, because I'm really terrible at making up my mind. But I guess that's the risk of joining forums like this one.

First of all, forget the FIIO E5, mine is resting in a drawer somewhere, you don't need it with the Fuze. I'd say the FX500 fit the bill for all your music styles.

But here's another thought if you're reluctant to spend big money without experience in IEMs. Why not get a Soundmagic PL30 first? It will cost you $25 shipped from mp4nation and will already be a huge improvement over stock buds. I'd say it will be about 80-90% as good as the IEMs on your wishlist. You could learn what you like and don't like about them and use this as a reference point for chosing a more expensive IEM later.

Just my 2c!
smile.gif

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #62 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of all, forget the FIIO E5, mine is resting in a drawer somewhere, you don't need it with the Fuze. I'd say the FX500 fit the bill for all your music styles.

But here's another thought if you're reluctant to spend big money without experience in IEMs. Why not get a Soundmagic PL30 first? It will cost you $25 shipped from mp4nation and will already be a huge improvement over stock buds. I'd say it will be about 80-90% as good as the IEMs on your wishlist. You could learn what you like and don't like about them and use this as a reference point for chosing a more expensive IEM later.

Just my 2c!
smile.gif

You're just trying to make this even harder, aren't you?
wink.gif

I have been thinking about this, and it is true: I can't miss the sound of something I haven't heard yet. So, if I buy the PL-30 I will probably be satisfied with them as well. But, it will mean that I'll want to upgrade within a year. The FX500 will keep me happy for a longer time.

But you're completely right. A sensible person would start at the bottom of the stairs and climb up when they feel they (and their wallet of course) are ready for it. Maybe I just needed that, maybe I've just been a little too overenthousiastic. But I'm still not certain.

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #63 of 99
Quote:

You're just trying to make this even harder, aren't you?
wink.gif

I have been thinking about this, and it is true: I can't miss the sound of something I haven't heard yet. So, if I buy the PL-30 I will probably be satisfied with them as well. But, it will mean that I'll want to upgrade within a year. The FX500 will keep me happy for a longer time.

But you're completely right. A sensible person would start at the bottom of the stairs and climb up when they feel they (and their wallet of course) are ready for it. Maybe I just needed that, maybe I've just been a little too overenthousiastic. But I'm still not certain.

Yeah, james has a point, but so do you. I started at the bottom of the IEM food chain with the Lenntek Sonix, and they are still some of my favourite budget IEMs. I felt the urge to upgrade within a month though, but I wasn't coming from stock buds, but rather Senn PX100s and Koss KSC75's which aren't easily beatable by IEMs.

If you're coming from stock earphones (ibuds or the like), a decent budget set should hold you over for longer. There are 3 to be had easily for <$25 that will blow away your iBuds and give much more expensive phones a run for their money: the Lenntek Sonix ($20, costco), the Meelec AI-M9 ($20, overstock.com), and the PL30s ($23, mp4nation.net).

If you do decide to go this route and save most of your current budget for a later upgrade, your choice should be among these three.

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #64 of 99
I've been thinking about it, and I think you're both right. I should start down the ladder to see what sound signature I'm looking for and don't spend big money right from the start where there's a chance I won't like them.

I'm currently looking at both the PL30 and AI-M9. Just don't know which to choose, they seem to have similar sound signatures and accessoires.

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #65 of 99
Quote:

I've been thinking about it, and I think you're both right. I should start down the ladder to see what sound signature I'm looking for and don't spend big money right from the start where there's a chance I won't like them.

Believe me, it's not so far down the ladder as you might think. I have the IE8, SE530 and FX500, but I still like and use the PL30. For listening in bed they are even my favourite IEMs because they are super-comfy and I can lie on the side with them. Can't help you with the AI-M9 though.

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #66 of 99
Quote:

I'm currently looking at both the PL30 and AI-M9. Just don't know which to choose, they seem to have similar sound signatures and accessoires.

They are quite different, so it really depends on your musical preferences. I'm listening to them back-to-back right now, and I think that the PL30s are more fun with their forward mids and punchy but somewhat undefined bass. I find them more comfortable, as well.

The Meelecs are more detailed, better-balanced, and have better treble extension and cleaner bass. I find them less comfortable but slightly more isolating than the PL30s. Meelec customer support is quite good, too.

In terms of accessories, the PL30 accessory pack includes over-the-ear guides, which could be useful for someone new to wearing IEMs over-the-ear (but better ones can be purchased from phonak for $8). On the other hand, the Ai-M9 pack includes an airline adapter (which can be purchased separately for only a few $).

So as you see, it really depends on your preferences. The Ai-M9 would be your entry into balanced phones, with the next steps up being the ADDIEMs, the RE2s, and the RE0s. The PL30s would take you on a different path - that of the Nuforce NE-7M's, and (FWIR) the JVC Fx500's.

Edit: and yet again, James is right. I would say that with these $20 heavyweights you would be getting 80-90% of the sq of something like the RE0 or Ety Er6i. I use the Ai-M9 all the time for relaxed listening at home and the PL30s outside for the fun factor (and the fact that they are disposable should I snag the cord on something).

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #67 of 99
I think that would mean the PL30 would be for me. I've looked at Overstock for shipping costs to the Netherlands: 20 euros. No, thanks.

Is there anything else I should watch when I order the PL30's? Tips? Is the bass knob fragile?

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #68 of 99
i have a pl30 and its still going strong. the bass knob should hold up unless you are fiddling with it every other track.

the variety of tips that comes with the pl30 should be more than enough for you imo.

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #69 of 99
Quote:

I think that would mean the PL30 would be for me. I've looked at Overstock for shipping costs to the Netherlands: 20 euros. No, thanks.

Is there anything else I should watch when I order the PL30's? Tips? Is the bass knob fragile?

Ah, the netherlands. Didn't realize that. Yes, that would make the PL30s much cheaper, I suppose, although I am really liking the AI-M9s atm. I've never used the bass knobs as the "clear bass" setting is plenty of bass for me, but I've seen reports of the knob coming off.

Both the chrome paint and the rubbery black coating (I have the black ones) will start coming off over time, but since PL30s don't have any resale value to begin with, this shouldn't be a problem
tongue.gif
. Comply T400 tips fit them, but I find the Soundmagic tips to be sufficient - for me the foamies are the best for comfort and the biflanges - for isolation.

Jul 27, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #70 of 99
I think I should just order the PL30 today. It looks like a great first step for me and I will be done with all the researching (which was pretty fun if I have to be honest. I'm a gadgetfreak
tongue_smile.gif
)

I see it would be best to order them from MP4Nation. They have combo deals with the Fiio E3 or E5, but james444 said I won't need those with my Fuze, so should I just go for the PL30 only? And the PL30 description says BLACK, but it's silver in the pictures. Is it the Focalprice-black, or just silver?

Thanks, I really needed to get down to earth. I realize now that throwing 100 euros into this right from the start is not best thing to do. Especially if I don't have any experience with IEM's. Thanks again.

Jul 27, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #71 of 99
Quote:

I see it would be best to order them from MP4Nation. They have combo deals with the Fiio E3 or E5, but james444 said I won't need those with my Fuze, so should I just go for the PL30 only? And the PL30 description says BLACK, but it's silver in the pictures. Is it the Focalprice-black, or just silver?

Just imagine how much fun picking your first upgrade will be
wink.gif

The E5 might be interesting to you if you're a gadget freak as it is a very fun toy and has come in handy in a variety of situations (such as cutting the hiss from the headphone out on my netbook, being used as a volume control for my desktop speakers that have a broken volume pot, etc etc). As for using it with the fuze, the improvement you will see with an E5 will be tiny compared to the improvement in going from your current earphones to the PL30s. But if you decide to get an amp, do go for the E5 over the E3 - it's better in every way.

As for the PL30's, the black ones from mp4nation are indeed black, and not the gunmetal ones pictured. I believe the gunmetal ones can only be had with a combo from mp4nation and the white ones cannot be had at all.

Jul 27, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #72 of 99
CP074B-6.JPG

yeap, this is the black version that i had as well.

*image taken from focalpoint

Jul 27, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #73 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the PL30's, the black ones from mp4nation are indeed black, and not the gunmetal ones pictured. I believe the gunmetal ones can only be had with a combo from mp4nation and the white ones cannot be had at all.

So if I get an E5 with them, they will have the gunmetal look, and without it they will be black. I don't care that much about the colour, but I think the black one matches the rest of the package best. Still don't know if the E5 is really necessary in this occasion, but it's really a nice little thing to have.

Jul 27, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #74 of 99
Read some threads at MP4Nation's forums, and it seems that the Fiio amps don't work all to well with the PL30. So I'll just get it without the amp.

Unless there's somebody else who has a great recommendation, I will order the PL30's from MP4Nation today. Will post some impressions and maybe a small review when I get them.

Jul 27, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #75 of 99
Which is faster, Focalprice or MP4Nation? I want to order these today, and would like to have them as soon as possible. I am in the Netherlands for those of you that haven't noticed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back