First step into audiophile territory
Jul 22, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #46 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Precisely. The D2/D2+ has a very good equalizer, so tweaking the sound to your tastes really isn't an issue. If the OP is using something with a useless equalizer, like an iPod or a Sansa, this wouldn't be a viable option.

That said, I use the RE0 for Rock/Metal without EQing, especially on sansa clip, and it sounds great. If you want some added warmth and a bass boost, you could pick up a Fiio E5 on the cheap (I don't even bother taking my E5 anymore though. Used to the cold sound I guess).

You were in the right direction concerning my player, it's a Sansa Fuze. I'm still using the stock buds and they sound fine when I turn the EQ to Jazz, but then again, I've never experienced high-quality audio.

I was already thinking about buying an E5 and probably a crystal hard case as well. I've dropped my Fuze for the first time last week and it has left nasty scratches and a small bump at the right bottom corner of my Fuze
frown.gif

Jul 23, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #48 of 99
Belabor, I'm going to be buying the Victor FX500's Friday next week, $39 more than the RE0's but they've already gained a massive following. If you bump this thread in a week and half or so I'll post my impressions vs. the RE0's. For me, bearing in mind my music tastes predominantly bassy (hip hop, dnb, techno and breakbeat), the bass quantity was simply not enough, especially coming from NE-7M's. Don't get me wrong they sound great but I felt let down on a number of occasions listening to especially drum n bass and when usually the break would rumble my head with the NE-7M's, I would get a nice clean but little impact sound with the RE0's, with little excitment, example -
Live We Live by Commix, a wonderful masterpiece of chilled Drum n Bass, there are so many discernable sounds in this track, and the bass is so fantastically warm unlike the skullcrushing DJ Hype provides. The highlight of this song is the break at 1:24, the NE-7M's allowed me to close my eyes and be whisked away into the music and enjoy the soft but deep bass and it fills my head and rattles my eyeballs, seriously listen to this track if you want to test the warmth of the bass in your IEM (track number 1 on FabricLive 44 - £10 direct from Fabric Records..amazing album full stop). Listened to the same track on the RE0's, had a big expectation since the tom's and snare's sounded brilliant in the intro..when the break happened I physically made this face ---> :-/ it just sounded far too artificial and clean and it excited me not at all one little bit. Another example changing genres is Revelry by Kings of Leon - even in my tinny little speakers in my car I always get excited after Caleb sings 'to face the loss of the good thing that I have found' and then goes 'wooo woooo woooooo' and the drums start playing..hell I just listened to it on my Sony MDR-V150's and I got excited, but the RE0's I frowned and thought oh...completely non-plussed.

I'm not dissing the RE0's coz they are great, in other ways they did completely blow me away - Arizona by KoL focuses nicely on Caleb's voice, the lead guitar and the snare, and even in the first 10 seconds the hair on the back of my head stood up.

But taking into account your music taste you may be of the same thinking as me..perhaps, which may get you to reconsider

Jul 23, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #49 of 99
The reasons why I steered away from the FX500 were
1. that they presumably sound harsh and over the top with electronic, because they are better for 'natural' bass
2. the price
and 3. the lower isolation.

I find these things to be pretty important to me, and while the FX500 is 'only' $39 more, that's still a good 28 euro's more, which for me is a lot of money.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still open for suggestions, the Denon C710 is another appealing option, but I think the FX500 is just not for me.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Isolation on the FX500 is worse than the RE0, but doesn't seem to be bad either. Maybe I will have to look into these after all... Damn you, Head-Fi.
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #50 of 99
the other main reason the RE0's went for me was the poor fit apart from using the complys which ruined the SQ.
Like I say, I will compare the sound of the RE0's to the Victors for you, our music tastes seem pretty similar so hopefully I should be able to tell you if the bass is wrong for electronica (the bass is meant to be quick though)

Jul 23, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #51 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the other main reason the RE0's went for me was the poor fit apart from using the complys which ruined the SQ.
Like I say, I will compare the sound of the RE0's to the Victors for you, our music tastes seem pretty similar so hopefully I should be able to tell you if the bass is wrong for electronica (the bass is meant to be quick though)

Will have to wait for another week anyways.

I'm getting back at my statement that I had reached my decision. Since I've been looking in the RE0 some more and have been reading your and ljokerl's reply's to a number of threads, I'm afraid these won't be 'fun' enough either.

My music genres are Rock, Alternative, Electronic, Drum and Bass, some Hip-Hop and a little bit of everything for the rest.
It was quite a hassle to choose the parts for my current PC one and a half year back, but this is even harder.
frown.gif
I'll just take another week to make my final decision, so expect me to bump this thread a few times in the next days.

Jul 25, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #52 of 99
Right, time to put up my new list of potentials.

Victor HA-FX500
Do-like: Sound signature should be great for my music tastes, love the design, pretty durable, great carrying case, good isolation: overall probably better value for money for my preferences vs. the RE0.
Do-not-like: Quite a bit more expensive than the RE0, cable 0.7m (way too short) and 1.5m with extension (way too long), maybe a bit too bassy for some of my music (heard reports of too much bass in particular songs).

Head-Direct RE0
Do-like: Excellent value for money concerning overall SQ, build quality top notch, highest isolation of the bunch.
Do-not-like: A bit too bass-light for DnB and Electronic, not 'fun', microphonics.

Audio Technica ATH-CKS70
Do-like: Better for electronic music vs. the FX500, almost half the price of the RE0, looks like they don't stick out of your ears that far.
Do-not-like: Lowest isolation of the bunch, lots of wind-noise (definitely not good for cycling), pretty unknown on Head-Fi, would like to read some more reviews.

Klipsch S4
Do-like: Sound signature, design, isolation and fit.
Do-not-like: Are these even in the same league as the IEM's listed above?

This is my top four at the moment. I've also seen the Denon AH-C710, but they are too expensive for me to buy because of the ridiculous $50 shipping from the US. AMP3 is an option, but that's even more expensive.

Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards the FX500 right now, but would like to hear some more impressions on them concerning electronic music and the cable length.

Jul 25, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #53 of 99
I've seen there's an Atrio M5 for sale in the FS-section for 95 euros. How would the Atrio compare to these?

Jul 25, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #54 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belabor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Victor HA-FX500
Do-like: Sound signature should be great for my music tastes, love the design, pretty durable, great carrying case, good isolation: overall probably better value for money for my preferences vs. the RE0.
Do-not-like: Quite a bit more expensive than the RE0, cable 0.7m (way too short) and 1.5m with extension (way too long), maybe a bit too bassy for some of my music (heard reports of too much bass in particular songs).

Belabor, I don't know where you've got these specs, but my FX500 cable is 0.9m from plug to earpiece.

Jul 25, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #55 of 99
Quote:

I've seen there's an Atrio M5 for sale in the FS-section for 95 euros. How would the Atrio compare to these?

The Atrio M5 is great for DnB and Electronic IMO, bass and mids about as good as the FX500, but the Victor trumps it in highs and soundstage.

Jul 26, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #56 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Belabor, I don't know where you've got these specs, but my FX500 cable is 0.9m from plug to earpiece.

Well, I read it's 0.7m somewhere in the forums. Anyways, I still find 0.9m too short as I like storing my IEM's in my jeans (I'm almost 2m tall). Since my Fuze has pretty big buttons, I can easily change songs that way by pressing them and I don't have to take them out.

Jul 26, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #57 of 99
Quote:

Well, I read it's 0.7m somewhere in the forums. Anyways, I still find 0.9m too short as I like storing my IEM's in my jeans (I'm almost 2m tall). Since my Fuze has pretty big buttons, I can easily change songs that way by pressing them and I don't have to take them out.

Ok, got it. I keep the Fuze in my shirt pocket, therefore I like short cables.

Jul 26, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #58 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, got it. I keep the Fuze in my shirt pocket, therefore I like short cables.

I would too, if I had any to speak of.
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #59 of 99
Edited my first post in this thread and added the Klipsch S4. Just read the review here on Head-Fi and they look rather interesting, but I don't know if they are in the same league as the RE0 and FX500.

Jul 26, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #60 of 99
Did some more reading today, and I think I should remove the RE0 from my list. I've asked around and people generally tell me that all music sounds 'good' with them, but nothing sounds 'fun' as the RE0 is so neutral.

I think I do want that fun sound for my Drum and Bass and Electronic music and it looks like the FX500 would be very good for my Rock collection. I'm really beginning to appreciate rock and I find myself watching MTV Two far more often than before. I've seen some pretty good deals on the Atrio M5 as well, but comparisons between the two mostly reveal the FX500 to be more detailed.

I would like to say: ''FX500 it is then'', but I always seem to get back at my word when I say that. I would really appreciate your help with this.

FX500 for Rock, Electronic, Drum and Bass, or should I look at different IEM's?
Is the short cable really a nuisance, or is it not that bad?
Will I need a FiiO E5, or is that the best way to throw away my money?
Any information would really be of help, because I'm really terrible at making up my mind. But I guess that's the risk of joining forums like this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back