First step into audiophile territory
Jun 29, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #16 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RE0 is an excellent IEM even for $200. But for the full potential, you'll need an amp (even though ampless sounds pretty good as well). If you have the money and think about getting an amp in the future, RE0 is the winner here..

I really don't think i want to spend 100 dollars on IEM's, although it's very tempting. I see they include a FiiO E3, but will that really be worth the money?
I see now why everybody says ''Sorry for your wallet''. I know this is a bit out of my budget, but I'm very tempted to buy them anyway.

Before I make my decision, is there anyone else who has the IM-590 or any of the IEM's in my list? And please, don't mentioned anything over a hundred dollars. That is my absolute maximum, but I'd rather stay under it.

Jun 29, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #17 of 99
There are lots of other great IEMs under $100

ADDIEM ($35)
Metro.Fi 200v ($25)
Soundmagic PL30 ($23)
Head-Direct RE2 ($39)
Etymotic Er6i ($75)

However, they really lose out to the RE0. All in all, if you say you want the best for under $100, don't expect miracles (i.e someone to tell you that the best IEM under $100 actually costs $20). If you're willing to settle for lower SQ at a lower price, then call that your maximum and go from there
smile_phones.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #18 of 99
What I'm interested in is how buying from the US is going to affect the price. For instance, if I enter 100 dollars in here XE - The World's Favorite Currency and Foreign Exchange Site, will that price converted to euros (100 dollars = 70 euros) be what I actually have to pay, or will it be higher?

If that means that I can get the RE0 for 70 euros, I don't see why I shouldn't buy it if they have free shipping.

EDIT: Removed Beta Brainwavz and UHP336 from list. Added RE0.
I would really appreciate info about any of the listed IEM's, because I'm still having doubts about throwing my budget in the bin and just go for the RE0.

Jun 29, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #19 of 99
I don't know if this helps you, but the RE1 was on my list when I was shopping and a lot of people considered it very good for the price - they are a little higher than $100. The RE0s are the next-up in the RE series and they are currently on sale for that much with a free amp.

I say go for it - I didn't buy shure SCL4s on sale for about 80 bucks ($250 normally) and I totally should have. A great deal is a great deal. It's almost like if you wanted to buy a Corvette coupe (~$50k) and somebody offered you a corvette Z06 (~$75k) for $60k. It's worth that extra push for the amazing deal.

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #20 of 99
I'm almost convinced.
bigsmile_face.gif

Leaves the currency issue. If I buy the RE0 from Head-Direct, it will cost me $99 + $10 shipping to the Netherlands. If I enter that amount into a currency converter, it says $109 translates roughly to 78 euros. Is that what it will cost me in reality too, or will I have to pay extra taxes of some sort?

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #21 of 99
As far as I know the tax limit has increased some time ago to a couple of hundred euro's.

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #22 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by maniac2003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I know the tax limit has increased some time ago to a couple of hundred euro's.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by ''tax limit''.

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #23 of 99
I'll explain in Dutch, makes it a bit easier:
Er is een bepaalde limiet, daaronder betaal je geen invoerrechten. Dat bedrag is begin dit jaar of vorig jaar verhoogt naar enkele honderden Euro's. Precies weet ik het niet dan moet je bij de douane zijn.

BTW, I'm also looking for some upgrades instead of my current Philips SHE9800. The RE0 looks nice
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #24 of 99
Quote:

Er is een bepaalde limiet, daaronder betaal je geen invoerrechten. Dat bedrag is begin dit jaar of vorig jaar verhoogt naar enkele honderden Euro's. Precies weet ik het niet dan moet je bij de douane zijn.

Zou dit ook voor België gelden?
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

BTW, I'm also looking for some upgrades instead of my current Philips SHE9800. The RE0 looks nice
biggrin.gif

Just do it. You won't regret it. Your wallet might.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #25 of 99
Quote:

I'll explain in Dutch, makes it a bit easier:

biggrin.gif

Thanks for explaining that in Dutch.
wink.gif

I see the RE0 comes with a free Fiio E3. Does it really help bring up the bass, or is it completely useless? I do like to have a little bit of extra bass for my Electronic music.

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #26 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeTrun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zou dit ook voor België gelden?
smily_headphones1.gif

No idea
frown.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #27 of 99
Okay, I've pretty much decided on my top three. I'll just put them in order of preferance and add what I like about them and what I don't like.

Head-Direct / HiFiMAN RE0 - $109 incl. shipping
The Good: Excellent value for money, great neutral sound sig, build and cable of high quality, good for portable use, free fiio e3 included.
The Bad: Still costs me a lot more than the other options, no case or pouch included, might need EQ-ing for bassy music.

Nuforce NE-7M - $49 excl. shipping
The Good: Value for money, sound sig perfect for electronic, great customer service, half the price of the RE0.
The Bad: I won't use the mic with my Fuze (already built-in), build quality is so-so, needs different tips to sound at their best.

Maximo iMetal IM-590 - $??
The Good: Great set of accessoires, build and cable of high quality, great sound quality.
The Bad: Not available in Europe yet (?), isolation is below average according to reviews.

I guess the RE0 would be my best choice, but I'm still waiting for comfirmation that it works well with more bassy music (Prodigy, Pendulum, Royksöpp, Gorillaz, just to name a few). That, and the fact that the RE0 has no pouch or case included, are the only things holding me back. I'm just going to ask this one more time: is the RE0 really worth it?

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #29 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if the case is the only thing stopping you...

Its only $10 more

Yes, buying an extra case for $10 may be a good idea for me. I like to be very cautious with my electronics, and I think I will be using my IEM's for a very long time.

Still, is there anyone who has the RE0 and can tell me how it plays bassy music? Electronic, Trance, Hip-Hop, whatever you like. I just don't want to buy something from the net for nothing. I really want to make absolutely sure I'm doing the right thing. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when I'm talking about electronics.
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back