First step into audiophile territory
Jun 27, 2009 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 99

Belabor

100+ Head-Fier
Hello to all Head-Fi members. My name is Marten and I'm looking to buy my first IEM in a few weeks. It's currently the middle of the summer holidays here in the Netherlands, and I hope to buy some new stuff at the end of it. That won't be until another 2 weeks or so.

A few months ago I did some researching and came to the conclusion that my perfect first IEM would be the Nuforce NE-7M. Due to circumstances however, I have not been able to buy them, and I have noticed lots of new products have hit the market lately. I am now having second thoughts about the NE-7M because of the microphone I will probably never use and several complaints about build quality.

What am I looking for exactly? I currently own a Sansa Fuze and after half a year I'm still using the stock buds. They keep falling out of my ears and isolation is about zero, as you all know. That's why I'm looking to try out some good isolating everyday IEM's. I will use them everywhere I can, so I would appreciate it if they wouldn't suffer from wind noise while I'm on my bike, like the stock buds do. A good fit, a nice set of accessoires and great sound quality are on my priority-list as well.

To keep it short, I'm looking for the best all-around package for a budget price. I've done extensive research in the past few weeks, and I have created a list with contenders.

Victor HA-FX500
Klipsch S4
Head-Direct/HiFiman RE0
Audio-Technica CKS70
Denon AH-C710 (if I can get them shipped to the Netherlands for a reasonable price!)

The list above is random! It doesn't show my preference from top to bottom.

I currently listen to Electronic, Drum and Bass, Rock, Alternative and little bit of Hip-Hop.

Budget: about 100 euros, the lowest price I can get the FX500 for currently

I hope to have informed you enough. I'm awaiting your replies.

EDIT: I have edited this post for people that don't go to the last page. Continue reading at page 4!

Jun 27, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 99
The UHP336's are good for the price. I've got a pair, and I love them. This probably applies to other IEMs too, but they need to be broken in before they'll sound their best. There's probably better stuff out there in your budget though.

Jun 27, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by bba1973 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UHP336's are good for the price. I've got a pair, and I love them. This probably applies to other IEMs too, but they need to be broken in before they'll sound their best. There's probably better stuff out there in your budget though.

I'm kind of worried about their size for using them on my bike. And they are designed to go over the ear, but that might be a problem because I'm wearing glasses.
I do believe they are excellent value for money however. That's why I added them to my list.

Jun 27, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belabor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm kind of worried about their size for using them on my bike. And they are designed to go over the ear, but that might be a problem because I'm wearing glasses.
I do believe they are excellent value for money however. That's why I added them to my list.

You are, indeed, right about the size. They were far too large for me so they had to go back (microphonics were an annoyance as well). I also wear glasses, and I find that IEMs with memory wire (like the UHP336) to be a little more tricky to use than something with thin, shapeless wires.

If it were my money I think I'd go for the brainwavz, but the Lansings are the only ones I've had hands-on experience with.

Jun 28, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #5 of 99
Beside S2/S4 and UHP336, I have the rest. The comparison is in my signature (the new one), if that interest you.

Jun 28, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 99
Quote:

I am also wearing glasses, almost in my whole life
smily_headphones1.gif
. I have PFEs and UM3Xs and both are over the ear type, and I have no problem with it. The cables are small enough to sits well on my ears. So do no worry much about it, and welcom to the head-fi....
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.

Jun 28, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #7 of 99
I put 80 euros into a currency calculator and got about $112. If that isn't right, please let me know. As for your musical tastes, I guess you just need an IEM that plain old sounds good.

When I was looking for headphones, one of the contenders I was considering were the westone UM1s. I obviously haven't heard them as I bought in favor of the turbines, but I have read good reviews on them. They're ~$100 which is a bit less than 80 eruos

Jun 28, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #8 of 99
I will vouch on behalf of maximo's iM-590.

While I do not own that model, I do own the iM-490. It is very balanced, I dont find any particular frequency spectrum to be over powering. Decent bass with nice thump. Highs are not ear piercing, they are a treat when listening to female voices.

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #9 of 99
Thanks for all your replies.

I think I can scratch the UHP336 from my list. I've done some extra looking around, and the reviews are really mixed. I'll just keep them on for now, just in case.

ClieOS, I have had a look at your threads, and if I would to choose from that, you would probably recommend me the IM-590. However, the smaller than average isolation could be a problem for me. And they are currently very expensive for me to buy due to high shipping rates. But that may very possibly change in several weeks.

About my budget, I have been looking at higher priced IEM's like the UM1 and Turbines, but those left me with the same problem as the IM-590 did: high shipping rates. Price and shipping combined, they far exceed my budget.

Jun 28, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #10 of 99
I'm currently leaning towards the Beta Brainwavz + FiiO E5 or the Maximo IM-590.

Does anyone have one of these, apart from ClieOS of course?

Jun 28, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #11 of 99
Quote:

Thanks for all your replies.

I think I can scratch the UHP336 from my list. I've done some extra looking around, and the reviews are really mixed. I'll just keep them on for now, just in case.

ClieOS, I have had a look at your threads, and if I would to choose from that, you would probably recommend me the IM-590. However, the smaller than average isolation could be a problem for me. And they are currently very expensive for me to buy due to high shipping rates. But that may very possibly change in several weeks.

About my budget, I have been looking at higher priced IEM's like the UM1 and Turbines, but those left me with the same problem as the IM-590 did: high shipping rates. Price and shipping combined, they far exceed my budget.

Ah, didn't think about the shipping rates to the UK. I knew the turbines were out of your limit, but the UM1s were just under which I guess is no good. Sorry dude, I'll try to find some more suggestions, although those Maximo's have been talked about a lot around here lately

Jun 28, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #12 of 99
After reading Mark's review on the Beta Brainwavz, I'm having second thoughts. I'm looking for a fairly balanced IEM, but he says the bass is really light on them, even with the E5. With my music preferences, that is not what I want.

I'm waiting for this to be confirmed. If Mark is right, I'll have to scrap them from my list.

My favourite at this moment would be the IM-590, but I've noticed it isn't available for me at the moment. Any info on availability in Europe or Amazon? I don't trust the current Amazon listing, since they don't include any specs or pictures.

Jun 28, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #13 of 99
Quote:

After reading Mark's review on the Beta Brainwavz, I'm having second thoughts. I'm looking for a fairly balanced IEM, but he says the bass is really light on them, even with the E5. With my music preferences, that is not what I want.

I'm waiting for this to be confirmed. If Mark is right, I'll have to scrap them from my list.

My favourite at this moment would be the IM-590, but I've noticed it isn't available for me at the moment. Any info on availability in Europe or Amazon? I don't trust the current Amazon listing, since they don't include any specs or pictures.

Dono about the 590s, but I just paid $13.07 incl. shipping for the 490s on ebay. I've seen 590 listings come up too, one in a while.

Jun 28, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #14 of 99
Just to let you know, the RE0 of Head Direct are well-priced IEM's at their retail price ($230), but they are on sale for $100 + a free Fiio E3 (which is a small bass boost amplifier
smily_headphones1.gif
). A great deal, if you ask me.
smily_headphones1.gif

You could look up some info about those IEMs, they might be what you're looking for. It might have unbeatable SQ for $100
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #15 of 99
RE0 is an excellent IEM even for $200. But for the full potential, you'll need an amp (even though ampless sounds pretty good as well). If you have the money and think about getting an amp in the future, RE0 is the winner here..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back