First step into audiophile territory
Jul 27, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #76 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belabor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which is faster, Focalprice or MP4Nation? I want to order these today, and would like to have them as soon as possible. I am in the Netherlands for those of you that haven't noticed.

It's a toss-up really. I've had both my fastest and my slowest transaction with mp4nation. They took about a week and a half to get me my PL30s, which is faster than anything I've ever bought from the other Chinese deal sites (focalprice, DX, etc). Then they took 52 days to get me my P10s
frown.gif
, which is the slowest shipping EVER.

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #77 of 99
Well, it all went completely different as I planned only a week ago.

I was this close to ordering the FX500, but then james444 was being a very sensible Head-Fi'er (those are very rare you know
redface.gif
) and told me that it would be better for me and my wallet to take it easy for my first purchase. I agreed and was again this close to ordering the PL30's.

Guess what? It didn't happen. My parents heard of my search for IEM's (my younger sister already has a cheap set of IEM's, because she broke the earbuds that came with her Sony DAP after only a month.) So my dad decided to buy a pair from another local store for me: Welcome to Canyon - Catalogue - Audio/Video - Headsets - CNR-EP1. The cost: 7,50 euros.

I was kind of embarassed at first, but after a few hours, I noticed that these are definitely an upgrade over the stock earbuds in isolation, overall sound quality and comfort. So, these will have to keep me happy for a while. And if they broke, I wouldn't mind. That way I can get back here on Head-Fi to choose my next headphone or IEM.

Thank you guys. I really appreciate all the information you provided. I will undoubtedly come back here again (someday).

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #78 of 99
Quote:

Guess what? It didn't happen. My parents heard of my search for IEM's (my younger sister already has a cheap set of IEM's, because she broke the earbuds that came with her Sony DAP after only a month.) So my dad decided to buy a pair from another local store for me: Welcome to Canyon - Catalogue - Audio/Video - Headsets - CNR-EP1. The cost: 7,50 euros.

I was kind of embarassed at first, but after a few hours, I noticed that these are definitely an upgrade over the stock earbuds in isolation, overall sound quality and comfort. So, these will have to keep me happy for a while. And if they broke, I wouldn't mind. That way I can get back here on Head-Fi to choose my next headphone or IEM.

Congrats on finally having a pair of IEMs. They look pretty cool, have a bit of Phonak design to them. I like the matte plastic too, doesn't look quite as cheap as the glossy stuff.

As long as you like the sound, that's really all that matters. Looks like we don't have to be sorry about your wallet... at least not for the time being
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #79 of 99
What I definitely like about these is the stronger bass, the fact that they stay in my ear, whereas my earbuds would fall out with every step and the isolation. All things considered, you Head-Fi'ers would probably say things like: ''Isolation is below average'' and ''They sound like ****'', but I'm happy with them. And that's all that counts for now. But I will definitely want to upgrade in the future.

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #80 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on finally having a pair of IEMs. They look pretty cool, have a bit of Phonak design to them. I like the matte plastic too, doesn't look quite as cheap as the glossy stuff.

x2. Have fun!
beerchug.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #81 of 99
I've tested these yesterday in the car and they isolated most of the music quite nicely. They weren't perfect, as they didn't isolate the lowest and highest tones, but it was better than with my earbuds. Sound was pretty good while driving, but now that I have tested them in silence, they don't sound as good as my earbuds.

I have several problems with these IEM's after testing them in my room.

1) Microphonics - the cable was tied together in the package and because this IEM has a J-cord, it is very microphonic and tangles very easily. I could buy a clip, but I don't think these IEM's are worth a clip because of the J-cord. I think this could be resolved if I wore the cable under my shirt, but I will have to try that later today.

2) Supplied tips - Only M and S sizes are supplied with these (and the S is white, yuck). Good thing my younger sister had a spare pair of black L-tips. I won't complain too much because the M-size tips sound the best so far. But I can see why people would hate these if they have big ear canals.

3) Overall sound - I don't know a lot of technical terms, but they sound quite different from the Sansa earbuds. The bass is much stronger, which is the only upside so far. The rest of the spectrum sounds 'empty'. Mids are okay, but the highs are really bad. It sounds like the music has holes in it, drums are soft and fade away pretty fast and there's way less drum and guitar 'impact' (I don't know how to explain this, but the Sansa earbuds seem to sound fuller, if that's the right term) and the IEM's are quieter than my earbuds, so I have to turn the volume up. They sound really bad with Normal EQ or any of the presets, so I have to use the custom EQ which will drain the battery three times as fast as with the presets. Because the highs are so disappointing, I turn the last bar on my Fuze's Custom EQ up to +8dB, which gives me a lot of sibilance (especially with male vocals, everytime they use the letter s my ears hurt).

I know my dad just wanted to help, but I'm not satisfied so far. I'm starting to think about the PL30's again. I'm going to give them a few more days, because they're not THAT bad. Maybe burn-in works for these as well.

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #82 of 99
If you think that Sansa earbuds sound fuller, your new IEMs must *really* be doing something wrong. I have both types of sansa earbuds (the fat ones and the skinny ones) and they both totally fail on completely different levels. I would never call either one "full", "rich", or "tonally accurate". Can your new IEMs be returned?

Also, try wearing them over-the-ear to reduce microphonics. They don't look like they're designed for it, but then again neither are RE2's. Might help.

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #83 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you think that Sansa earbuds sound fuller, your new IEMs must *really* be doing something wrong. I have both types of sansa earbuds (the fat ones and the skinny ones) and they both totally fail on completely different levels. I would never call either one "full", "rich", or "tonally accurate". Can your new IEMs be returned?

Also, try wearing them over-the-ear to reduce microphonics. They don't look like they're designed for it, but then again neither are RE2's. Might help.

I'm not sure if I used the right term for that, but the IEM's sound more distant. They are not as fun, it's like there's a radio playing at the background. I'll try them some more tonight and tomorrow, maybe I can find out what it is.

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #84 of 99
Quote:

I'm not sure if I used the right term for that, but the IEM's sound more distant. They are not as fun, it's like there's a radio playing at the background. I'll try them some more tonight and tomorrow, maybe I can find out what it is.

Ah, I imagine you have the thick sansa buds then, like these:

sandisk-sansa-mp3.jpg

They are rather forward in nature, which could be why your IEMs sound distant in comparison.

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #85 of 99
Yes, those are the ones I have. That would explain why I find the IEM's distant in comparison. Maybe it's just something I have to get used to, but so far I like the earbuds better, although I have to add that they need the Jazz EQ to sound that engaging. Without it, they sound pretty dull.

Just put the IEM's in again and I've tried them without EQ. Really bad, I have the feeling I'm listening to a mono radio. The music seems to blend in with eachother.

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #86 of 99
Quote:

I'm starting to think about the PL30's again. I'm going to give them a few more days, because they're not THAT bad. Maybe burn-in works for these as well.

It's this line of thinking that gets people spending ever increasing amounts on audio gear. Usually, you start out feeling fairly content or extremely satisfied with your gear. However, no matter how happy you are with your gear, there will always be this little voice in the back of your mind saying, "Even though I'm happy with things the way they are now, how much happier would I be if I had spent more?" You start noticing that your IEMs/headphones aren't as good as you thought. Thoughts of the gear that people suggested that was "just a little bit above your budget" start coming to you more and more often. Before you know it, you're at the store taking the cash out of your wallet of clicking the "buy it now" button. On the Singaporean audio forums, people use the term "poisoned" to refer to what happens when you're heard something that's better than what you have and now you want it really badly. Congrats, it sounds like you've been poisoned.

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #87 of 99
I have been very close to buying the FX500, and now I have these Canyon IEM's. Price difference: FX500 101 euros, Canyon CNR-EP1 7,50 euros.
tongue_smile.gif

Edit: Now playing Muse - New Born with the Custom EQ set at 3, -1, 2, 6, 3 and vocals, guitars and drums are more forward now, but I'm still not really happy about the overall sound. The highs are really disappointing on these IMO, but I can't go higher or lower than +3, because it will only get worse.

Xzibit - Hey Now (Mean Muggin'). Only one thing to say about this one. Bass! Mids, highs and everything else similar to the earbuds, but the bass is WAY better.

I think I have the Custom EQ at about the right level now: 3, -1, 3, 8, 4. Might want to tone some down a bit, but for Rock and Drum and Bass this setting works great.
Still not happy about the fact that the Custom EQ sucks away 3/4 of the Fuze's battery life though. I have about 4 hours on them since the last charge and the battery indicator is at 26%.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #88 of 99
Quote:

Yes, those are the ones I have. That would explain why I find the IEM's distant in comparison. Maybe it's just something I have to get used to, but so far I like the earbuds better, although I have to add that they need the Jazz EQ to sound that engaging. Without it, they sound pretty dull.

Just put the IEM's in again and I've tried them without EQ. Really bad, I have the feeling I'm listening to a mono radio. The music seems to blend in with eachother.

Seems like you prefer a more forward/aggressive sound. Good new for you then (or bad, depending on how you want to look at it): The PL30s have a pretty forward mid-range.

Also, if I remember correctly, with the fuze as your DAP and if you are using it with the Sandisk fw, keep in mind tha the EQ is poorly integrated and IMO can often make things worse on the detail front.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTKZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's this line of thinking that gets people spending ever increasing amounts on audio gear. Usually, you start out feeling fairly content or extremely satisfied with your gear. However, no matter how happy you are with your gear, there will always be this little voice in the back of your mind saying, "Even though I'm happy with things the way they are now, how much happier would I be if I had spent more?" You start noticing that your IEMs/headphones aren't as good as you thought. Thoughts of the gear that people suggested that was "just a little bit above your budget" start coming to you more and more often. Before you know it, you're at the store taking the cash out of your wallet of clicking the "buy it now" button. On the Singaporean audio forums, people use the term "poisoned" to refer to what happens when you're heard something that's better than what you have and now you want it really badly. Congrats, it sounds like you've been poisoned.

Bingo, but while I generally agree with this (and am very prone to being poisoned myself), this is a special case in which the OP has the handicap of not having made the choice himself, which IMO makes the situation even worse. In addition, if the stock sansa buds sound better than the "upgrade", I would consider that a (shocking) downgrade. Notice that the OP went from being somewhat satisfied with his gear to quite dissatisfied in about 12 hours.

That being said, I would suggest that the OP stick with it for a while as he may need time to adjust to the sound his IEMs deliver. How long he should stick with them depends on the return policy at the store they were purchased from
wink.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #89 of 99
Quote:

Sorry for you, but frankly if they sound worse than stock buds out of the box and do not improve within a few hours (burn-in and/or ear adaption) then chances are high they might actually be crap. Hope your dad can return them
frown.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #90 of 99
Maybe it's just not the IEM's, but the sound signature. Or I'm having a bad seal, but that is not likely because these things were made for 'rich bass', as the description says. And they deliver.

Anyways, I should not draw my conclusion too early, I really want these to sound good. Your mind can make things sound better than they really are, but so far these just don't cut it for me. I'll be honest with myself and use them for the next few days, and make my final conclusion after that time. I just hope I don't have to charge my Fuze every day. The battery life has drastically gone down since I started using the Custom EQ.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back