beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Jan 31, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #571 of 1,963
Quote:

Have you checked about your source or player?

About different volume between 2 channels, that can be cause by some factors like headphone positioning on your head, our ears condition (almost getting sick perhaps, flu is a very common reason also), etc

Good thought. Yeah, I tried it on two of my phones and out of my D100. Same thing each place, so I don't think it's source dependent. 

Quote:
People have disassembled their T5p, apparently the T5p is made of modular components that all "click" together so you can probably check it out inside carefully. I used to get a buzz on the driver diaphragm when a hair somehow made it through to the driver. At the right low frequency it would get to buzz. I think someone yanked out the cable of one ear cup and someone managed to break the wire inside the cable also. Could all be a possibility. The very last resort for me would be sending them to someone.

EDIT: That was on my HD650's. Theogenes your T5p are likely have something minor going on, not broken.

Okay, good to hear. The visions of a broken driver floating through my head did not exactly bring a smile to my face, so this (and the similar comments below) are very reassuring!
Quote:

Most common thing by far I've seen here at Head-Fi causing that kind of problem is a hair getting in there somehow (seen it pop up in many threads for a variety of headphones).

Quote:
I am also guessing it is a hair or dust. It would be easy to remove if you take out the driver and remove it. DO not panic! We are here to help you 
regular_smile .gif

Thanks a lot, guys!! It will be a couple of days before I'm going to be able to do it with my work schedule, but I'll work up the courage to take 'em apart by then 
size]

ZombieX has a video on disassembling the T1 (here), would I be safe in assuming the T5p disassembly would work the same way? 

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #572 of 1,963
Quote:
ZombieX has a video on disassembling the T1 (here), would I be safe in assuming the T5p disassembly would work the same way? 

My T5p is different than the T1 in ZombieX's youtube-video. In fact the T5p is easier to disassemble.  

Maybe ZombieX should make a T5p video? OR I could try to take a few pictures one of the next few days.

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #573 of 1,963
I took the pads off of my right channel to take a quick look, and it appears that they have the same grooves that the T1 have in the ZX video. I'm a bit reticent to start digging around on these (or anything else I value highly), as I'm not an experienced or particularly knowledgeable person when it comes to electronics. But I'll be VERY careful and get through it :wink:.

If/when I get the drivers removed from the cups, would some canned air on the back of the driver and the inside of the housing be what I need? I'm assuming that I don't have to actually take apart anything ON the driver, right? 

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #574 of 1,963
A few updates: 

Modifications

I have spoken to a handful of different guys and companies about modding my T5p (something like the Jaben mod), and after running into a few roadblocks, I've narrowed it down to two services, and I wanted to get some feedback from you guys while I deliberate. Both are contributing members of the HF community, but for diplomacy's sake I'll call them Companies A & B. 

Relevant Info
  1. I have opted for mini-XLR connectors (like Audeze) so I can use the cables I already have (among other reasons).
  2. I GREATLY prefer to have the adapters in-cup unless there is an overwhelming reason to do otherwise.
  3. Due to an unexpected recent financial setback, I'm going to have to be much more price-conscious that I otherwise would be.
  4. I originally checked on getting a mic cable compatible with my Android device as well, but nobody could provide one.
  5. My current portable setup: Galaxy S3 > JDS Labs ODAC > iBasso D6 (or Fiio E11 when that dies) 
  6. My near-future portable setup: Galaxy S3 > Leckerton Audio UHA-6.MKII and possibly the ODAC
  7. My current desktop setup: Windows 8 > JRiver 18 > Yulong D100 > Schiit Lyr (although when using the T5p I run straight from the D100). 
  8. Other headphones used with portable setup: Sennheiser IE8 (primarily), Klipsch X10 (typically when I don't have amp handy), and Sennheiser HD25i-II (although the T5p has obviously overtaken these tremendously, I will sometimes use the HD25 when I don't feel comfortable using it). 

Option 1 (Company A): 
  1. More established company, both on HF and in general
  2. Authorized by Beyer to do modifications
  3. Cannot do in-cup adapters, must be hard-wired into adapters that hang outside of cups
  4. Does not offer any mic options
  5. Less willing to help with buzzing issue
  6. Got a less friendly, straightforward vibe
  7. Slightly quicker to respond to emails
  8. Mod will cost $100 plus $10 per foot of cable from the cup

Option 2 (Company B): 
  1. Less established / newer company, but excellent feedback (more DIY background)
  2. Not authorized to do mods by Beyer 
  3. Can do in-cup adapters (prev work with Beyers looks great)
  4. Does not offer any mic options
  5. More willing to help with buzzing issue
  6. Got a more friendly, straightforward vibe
  7. Slightly slower to respond to emails
  8. Mod will cost $80

I am leaning towards Option 2 at the moment, with the primary driver being the in-cup adapter, and the price and overall vibe of communication coming in secondarily. Naturally, I have my concerns and reservations, and would consider getting a cable from Company A if I did do my modification with Company B as thanks for the time the gentleman spent with me and due to the great feedback his cables have received. So-- whaddya think?? (I know you don't have a whole hell of a lot to go on here, but I'm looking for any flaws in my logic or unconsidered points of view, and I'm open to anything you have). 

Unrelated Updates

Pads:  
I have now received both the JMoney leather pads and the clear gel stock Beyer pads, and I plan on trying them out shortly. I'll post any interesting impressions or thoughts. Briefly, the JMoney pads I purchased arrived EXTREMELY quickly and came in a little synthetic fabric bag (minor, but nice touch). They do show some signs of less-than-perfect manufacture, but this is to be expected (to a degree-- they still cost nearly $50), as they are B-stock. The clear gel pads came in today and really are pretty ugly, but I'm probably more excited to hear them than the J$ based on the reviews I've read. 

Buzzing Issue
Although I'll be running around like a madman for a large portion of the time, I have the next 3 days off, so I'm considering trying to fix the buzzing sound myself. Would spraying some canned air around the back of the driver and the inside of the housing suffice? If not, I'm open to any other ideas anybody has! (I wanna get this sorted out quickly-- this is the type of thing that will drive me bonkers). If anybody (else) has concerns about the potential for catastrophe that accompanies my attempts to open up my cans, the guy from Company B said he would take a look and remove any hair, etc if it was there, but that he couldn't do anything else, and couldn't fix it if one of the drivers was actually toasted. 

Okay, that should be enough verbosity for now 
size]
. Looking forward to hearing back from you guys!! (And thanks again for the reassurance with the buzzing issue-- that would have bothered me a LOT.)

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #576 of 1,963
Great video! Thanks for sharing 
normal_smile%20.gif

I would say though that the T5p sounds warmer to me then the T70. Not much though. I can enjoy both the T70 and T5p and I could easily live with either one of them as my only headphone. I was lucky to have the T70p and T5p at the same time for more than a month and I ended up listening to the T5p all the time. The T70 are very special and is unique in their midrange presentation I think. They sound very liquid and their midrange forwardness makes voices sound very intimate and lifelike to me. 

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #577 of 1,963
Nice video, man. I've scoured YouTube for anything about the T5p, so I love seeing new stuff on there :wink:. Haven't heard the T70, but it does seem to be pretty well liked, and I'd love to take a listen one day. You mentioned in the video that you heard the T1 as well, but you didn't seem to be particularly enamored of it. Care to share any thoughts? :)

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #578 of 1,963
Quote:
Great video! Thanks for sharing 
normal_smile%20.gif

I would say though that the T5p sounds warmer to me then the T70. Not much though. I can enjoy both the T70 and T5p and I could easily live with either one of them as my only headphone. I was lucky to have the T70p and T5p at the same time for more than a month and I ended up listening to the T5p all the time. The T70 are very special and is unique in their midrange presentation I think. They sound very liquid and their midrange forwardness makes voices sound very intimate and lifelike to me. 

Thanks mate

i thought T70 hinted warmth a lil more but, hey different music, source and amp.  Synergy effects things like this easily. I could also easily live with both and admit the T5p is better, the T70 is much better value. I know really want one of the two ahah! I loved the mids of the T70 and T1 the most. Very magical and engaging!
Quote:
Nice video, man. I've scoured YouTube for anything about the T5p, so I love seeing new stuff on there :wink:. Haven't heard the T70, but it does seem to be pretty well liked, and I'd love to take a listen one day. You mentioned in the video that you heard the T1 as well, but you didn't seem to be particularly enamored of it. Care to share any thoughts? :)

Thanks!

Yes keep subscribed on my channel more is coming constantly!

Yes it was great i though although people complain about the lack of bass. It is not 880, 990 but still tight and punchy.

No i really liked the T1 in the end after more comparing with my HE-500. This was taken before that but i still highlighted my day with these models. I am huge closed back hater so this was a breath of fresh air. The T1 and A1 review video will be up tomorrow!

The A1 has synergy like no other amp i have with the beyer models, especially the high end ones.

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #579 of 1,963
Thanks for your review, can you tell us the music you tested with? I know that is a little bit intimate but it's useful. Also maybe describe the other components combinations in the systems. I look forward to the T1 review too.

I enjoy the T5p, I haven't heard any other Beyerdynamic model except the DT1350. I'm also looking out for reviews of cable upgrades on the T5p.

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #580 of 1,963
The more I listen, the more I like T5p more compare to the big brother T1.

Although T1 (in proper set-up) has better soundstage and bigger bass, but at the same time also feel lack of musicality compare to T5p, the T1 is simply less colored. OTOH, T5p has very engaging midrange, slightly smoother sounding, leaner bass but definitely enough for me (I'm far from basshead), and already sound great from any modern DAP right now (AK100, Altman, Sony Z1000-series, even direct iphone 4s). Also for bonus, I like more the touch of leather pad compare the velour, though we always can swap them anytime if we have both.

I would say, T5p is really a win win solution 
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #581 of 1,963
Feb 7, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #582 of 1,963
Quote:
The more I listen, the more I like T5p more compare to the big brother T1.

Although T1 (in proper set-up) has better soundstage and bigger bass, but at the same time also feel lack of musicality compare to T5p, the T1 is simply less colored. OTOH, T5p has very engaging midrange, slightly smoother sounding, leaner bass but definitely enough for me (I'm far from basshead), and already sound great from any modern DAP right now (AK100, Altman, Sony Z1000-series, even direct iphone 4s). Also for bonus, I like more the touch of leather pad compare the velour, though we always can swap them anytime if we have both.

I would say, T5p is really a win win solution 
evil_smiley.gif

I feel this too, vocal is great! Same with piano, violin ... T5p is very enjoyable. I wonder how transparent it is compared to the T1?

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #585 of 1,963

Users who are viewing this thread

Back