beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Jan 29, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #556 of 1,963
Quote:
I think the price has something to do with that. Innerfidelity's somehow bad measurements of these might also influence a few people. Only guessing but I agree. They sound good if close cans are what you need. Otherwise I would buy T1 for the price. 

If you consider adding a high quality cable to the T5p, they cost significantly more than the T1. T1 already has a respectable cable. T5p is begging for OCC audio specialty cable, then the price will be close if not more than the Fostex TH900 especially if you get a longish cable, but probably not at the dizzy heights of Ultrasone Edition 10.

Jan 29, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #557 of 1,963
Quote:
I think the price has something to do with that. Innerfidelity's somehow bad measurements of these might also influence a few people. Only guessing but I agree. They sound good if close cans are what you need. Otherwise I would buy T1 for the price. 

Exactly. When I said these were good over a year ago on another forum, I alomst got crucified. Only because Tyll had his measurements.

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #558 of 1,963
Quote:
Exactly. When I said these were good over a year ago on another forum, I alomst got crucified. Only because Tyll had his measurements.

Measure? 
confused_face(1).gif
 The manufacturer gives all the useful measurements.

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #559 of 1,963
Quote:

Those measurements do not look exactly like a headphone in the price range of the T5p, but in the end the only thing that counts is whether I like the sound (or not). Measurements and even opinions of others are merely an indicator... and reading his reviews (which I like very much btw.) Tyll is not too fond of brighter headphones I'd guess...

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #560 of 1,963
Quote:

Those measurements do not look exactly like a headphone in the price range of the T5p, but in the end the only thing that counts is whether I like the sound (or not). Measurements and even opinions of others are merely an indicator... and reading his reviews (which I like very much btw.) Tyll is not too fond of brighter headphones I'd guess...

Yeah, you should have seen that thread. There was no room for personal opinions there. The strangest bunch of folks I have ever seen on the Interwebs.
Quote:

Measure? 
confused_face(1).gif
 The manufacturer gives all the useful measurements.

Well...

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #561 of 1,963
Quote:

Yeah, you should have seen that thread. There was no room for personal opinions there. The strangest bunch of folks I have ever seen on the Interwebs.

Well...

it's been like this for awhile....

after all these years, i still love t5p, even with just the stock cable. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #563 of 1,963
I understand and respect what Tyll was saying-- that guy knows infinitely more about headphones than I ever will, and I 100% cede to his greater knowledge. But man, I still just don't get the intense dislike he had for these (I believe he compared trying to get good sound from them to "polishing a turd"). It makes me think of the old objectivist adage: if it measures well and sounds bad, you're measuring the wrong things-- surely the converse is also true, that if something sounds good but measures poorly, the fault lies in the methodology of measurement. 

And as far as the accusation of the T5p being a bright headphone, I don't see it... It strikes me as having a clearly illuminated sound, but as I associate bright with an unpleasant sound or with too much focus at the upper end of the frequency range, I don't find that it applies here. 

You know, the opinions on these were so varied that after I had purchased them (but before they arrived), I started getting a real case of buyer's remorse-- I had gone back and started reading reviews again, and I started second-guessing my decision to snatch up a pair of these. But after having them for a week, while I certainly wouldn't call the sound faultless, I would say that it is quite evidently a top-quality audio reproduction machine. 

I don't doubt you're right, rasmushorn, in listing the inflated MRSP as one of the reasons the T5p draws such ire. It frankly is too high IMO. But they are hardly the only headphone that makes the mistake of being a bit spendier than it ought, and I don't necessarily see the same depth of the love/hate divide with some of the other ones (except Ultrasone, which gets blasted pretty much constantly here). So I still don't understand the strong negative emotions I see from some people on these. 

I guess at the end of the day, I'll just be thankful that the mixed reviews these have gotten have made the second-hand market pretty reasonable price-wise and allowed me to get a pair and try for myself. And if anybody else is considering getting a pair, I would recommend you at least give these a shot if you're in the market for a truly high-end pair of portable cans. While I would agree they are a bit light in the bass, I think they sound much, much better than some have suggested, and I for one am glad I have them. 

On a different note: I haven't tried removing the pads from these yet, but as I've ordered two different sets, I'm going to have to shortly. Is it a pretty simple task, or am I going to be dipping into my arsenal of curse words while trying it out? 
size]

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #564 of 1,963
Quote:
I understand and respect what Tyll was saying-- that guy knows infinitely more about headphones than I ever will, and I 100% cede to his greater knowledge. But man, I still just don't get the intense dislike he had for these (I believe he compared trying to get good sound from them to "polishing a turd"). It makes me think of the old objectivist adage: if it measures well and sounds bad, you're measuring the wrong things-- surely the converse is also true, that if something sounds good but measures poorly, the fault lies in the methodology of measurement. 

Exactly. Of course the interesting cases (from an engineers standpoint) are the ones where sound and measurements don't correlate... And when in doubt I prefer what I like to what theoretically should sound good (but does not to my ears).
Measurements can easily make one forget just how much a thing of personal preference sound perception actually is... Numbers seem so convincing and objective, graphs even more so.

And as far as the accusation of the T5p being a bright headphone, I don't see it... It strikes me as having a clearly illuminated sound, but as I associate bright with an unpleasant sound or with too much focus at the upper end of the frequency range, I don't find that it applies here. 

I don't consider the T5p to be bright in a negative sense, but I wanted to say 'not dark' in a simple way. Its definitely not harsh, I like the good treble resolution very much (much more than I ever thought, considering myself a bass lover in the past).

You know, the opinions on these were so varied that after I had purchased them (but before they arrived), I started getting a real case of buyer's remorse-- I had gone back and started reading reviews again, and I started second-guessing my decision to snatch up a pair of these. But after having them for a week, while I certainly wouldn't call the sound faultless, I would say that it is quite evidently a top-quality audio reproduction machine. 

My experience was almost the same... I was quite anxious after ordering them (especially paying almost full retail), but that was resolved within moments after freeing them from their enormous metal box (unfortunately I did not get the felt bag which might have been more useful to me).

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #565 of 1,963
Okay, so an unsettling development today: after a fairly stressful day at work, I decided to run my errands around town with my T5p serenading me gently back to humanity. I was REALLY tired, and was listening to Wilco's 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot' (great album btw). I noticed in the right channel some kind of odd noise that correlated with the music. Here's what I can tell you about it: 

It sounded like something small resonating, but it wasn't high-pitched. 
When I first noticed it, I distinctly thought it sounded like it was at the lower-back portion of the driver. 
When I spoke with a friend on the phone later (using an adapter cable for the mic), sometimes his voice would cause it again. 
When I played the same track ("Jesus, Etc") on my desktop setup, I could get the noise again at a slightly higher than normal listening volume. 
When listening at home, it became apparent that the noise correlated with some part of the rhythm (the bass, I believe). 
When I increase the volume further, the sound becomes a buzzing that still goes along with the music but is much more present. 
The noise is only in my right channel. 

I do not believe this sound was here before. It does not seem to be affected by gently pressing on the housing for the right driver, and I do not hear anything loose in there when moving it around. I've also gently wiggled the cable entry on the right side, and still no affect. I tried downloading two tone generator apps to my phone to try to determine what frequency the sound was, with no luck. 

This really concerns me... Any ideas on this, guys? 
size]

EDIT: I believe the volume on the right channel is a bit less too, although I could be mistaken. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #566 of 1,963
Looked on the Beyer site for an authorized service center around Nashville, TN and found Trew Audio, but when I looked at their site, they did not list beyerdynamic as one of the brands they service, so I used the 'contact' form on the (Beyer) website to ask where I might be able to get this looked at. 

This suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks... Without going into a lot of detail, I have had an unspeakably horrific week, starting the night after I got the headphones, and these have been a fantastic escape for me... so the thought of these not working correctly is probably bothering me a bit more than it should. 

Any ideas or feedback would be appreciated... Thanks in advance, guys. I'm probably going to just go to sleep for now and take a look tomorrow. 

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #567 of 1,963
Quote:
Okay, so an unsettling development today: after a fairly stressful day at work, I decided to run my errands around town with my T5p serenading me gently back to humanity. I was REALLY tired, and was listening to Wilco's 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot' (great album btw). I noticed in the right channel some kind of odd noise that correlated with the music. Here's what I can tell you about it: 

It sounded like something small resonating, but it wasn't high-pitched. 
When I first noticed it, I distinctly thought it sounded like it was at the lower-back portion of the driver. 
When I spoke with a friend on the phone later (using an adapter cable for the mic), sometimes his voice would cause it again. 
When I played the same track ("Jesus, Etc") on my desktop setup, I could get the noise again at a slightly higher than normal listening volume. 
When listening at home, it became apparent that the noise correlated with some part of the rhythm (the bass, I believe). 
When I increase the volume further, the sound becomes a buzzing that still goes along with the music but is much more present. 
The noise is only in my right channel. 

I do not believe this sound was here before. It does not seem to be affected by gently pressing on the housing for the right driver, and I do not hear anything loose in there when moving it around. I've also gently wiggled the cable entry on the right side, and still no affect. I tried downloading two tone generator apps to my phone to try to determine what frequency the sound was, with no luck. 

This really concerns me... Any ideas on this, guys? 
size]

EDIT: I believe the volume on the right channel is a bit less too, although I could be mistaken. 

Have you checked about your source or player?

About different volume between 2 channels, that can be cause by some factors like headphone positioning on your head, our ears condition (almost getting sick perhaps, flu is a very common reason also), etc

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #568 of 1,963
People have disassembled their T5p, apparently the T5p is made of modular components that all "click" together so you can probably check it out inside carefully. I used to get a buzz on the driver diaphragm when a hair somehow made it through to the driver. At the right low frequency it would get to buzz. I think someone yanked out the cable of one ear cup and someone managed to break the wire inside the cable also. Could all be a possibility. The very last resort for me would be sending them to someone.

EDIT: That was on my HD650's. Theogenes your T5p are likely have something minor going on, not broken.

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #569 of 1,963
Quote:
People have disassembled their T5p, apparently the T5p is made of modular components that all "click" together so you can probably check it out inside carefully. I used to get a buzz on the driver diaphragm when a hair somehow made it through to the driver. At the right low frequency it would get to buzz. I think someone yanked out the cable of one ear cup and someone managed to break the wire inside the cable also. Could all be a possibility. The very last resort for me would be sending them to someone.

EDIT: That was on my HD650's. Theogenes your T5p are likely have something minor going on, not broken.

Most common thing by far I've seen here at Head-Fi causing that kind of problem is a hair getting in there somehow (seen it pop up in many threads for a variety of headphones).

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #570 of 1,963
I am also guessing it is a hair or dust. It would be easy to remove if you take out the driver and remove it. DO not panic! We are here to help you 
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back