Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
May 10, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #691 of 18,459
Being dumb here with the forum. I think its time for me to go to sleep..The LCD-2s have kept me awake for the second night in a row. Just can't seem to put them away. Sadly they will be returned to dBel later today. 
frown.gif

May 10, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #694 of 18,459

Quote:
I am hoping I will be able to do a comparison between the two before Canjam, albeit with my TPs and possibly dBel's modded Zebra Wharfedale Isodynaics.

Thats great news! The TPs will have to do:)

Let me know if you know someone that will build a EHHA-2, do you know which MOSFETs will be used?

May 10, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #695 of 18,459

Quote:
I second this question. What the driver look like anyhow?
redface.gif

None of us here own one ourselves yet :p. dBel only has a evaluation pair which shouldnt be tampered with... But oh im sure a few people on here will get one, so bring out yer cameras :wink:

May 10, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #696 of 18,459

Quote:
redface.gif

No clue, but I am thinking it shouldn't be too different from the LCD-1 traces. I don't know if there is a photo of that floating around. I distinctly remember sankar asking me not to take a photo of the exposed diaphragm at last year's canjam of the LCD-1. From what I could make out the LCD-1 has quite similar trace pattern to the Fostex T50RP (zigzag) with a few differences which i can't seem to recall. I don't know if they have gone a different way with the LCD-2. My guess is that it is probably largely similar but only one way to know for sure. Take it apart. Unfortunately, neither of us own this pair. Perhaps when the orthoninjas across the pond receive their LCD-2s we will know what it looks like. 
ph34r.gif
 Unless, Alan is feeling adventurous 
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #697 of 18,459

Quote:
No clue, but I am thinking it shouldn't be too different from the LCD-1 traces. I don't know if there is a photo of that floating around. I distinctly remember sankar asking me not to take a photo of the exposed diaphragm at last year's canjam of the LCD-1. From what I could make out the LCD-1 has quite similar trace pattern to the Fostex T50RP (zigzag) with a few differences which i can't seem to recall. I don't know if they have gone a different way with the LCD-2. My guess is that it is probably largely similar but only one way to know for sure. Take it apart. Unfortunately, neither of us own this pair. Perhaps when the orthoninjas across the pond receive their LCD-2s we will know what it looks like. 
ph34r.gif
 Unless, Alan is feeling adventurous 
biggrin.gif

Well I bet itll look different to the LCD1, I think iv seen the LCD1 traces....i think. And LCD-2 claims 80% diaphragm coverage, so id bet the LCD-1 to LCD-2 traces would be akin to the Fostex T50 to the T30 visually (obv sound wise totally different lol)

May 10, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #698 of 18,459

Ok, tks so much for enlightening me, I didnt know the schematics were nonexistent. I wont be able to attend CanJam unfortunately so the EHHA-2/Stacker comparison will have to be covered by others and guessed upon from myself:frowning2: If there are any builders for this EHHA-2 (match made in heaven for LCD-2) Id be very interested in knowing about it.

Damn quoted reply doesn't work for me...  Really having a hard time seeing how the H-F is an "improvement."  But I digress...

There is one EHHA-2 in existence, and it belongs to Don.  I'm not sure if it will make it to CanJam or not.  One Liquid Gold exists and belongs to Pabbi1.  It may also make it to CanJam. 

The CTH would be able to drive the LCD-2s, EHHA kits are still available, though it was designed around the 6GM8 tube so other tubes that work at the lower voltage are tricky to apply. 

To be fair, Don, Sachu and I have taken the Cavalli Audio "Redpill", so we're probably a little biased (pun intended) towards his designs.  Other designs that would be a good fit are DEKWARE's CSP2 and the Aikido 24V Hybrid.  The 24V Hybrid is a rare bird and I haven't tried JB's new headphone amp as I'm having too much fun modding the 24V to run at 75V with either 6GM8 or 6N23Pi tubes.  A FirstWatt F5 will certainly be capable of driving the LCD-2s, but it needs a new PS to get noise and ripple down to acceptable levels, plus resistors on the positive leads to the TRS jack to prevent bad things happening to the F5 if the cans are unplugged when the F5 is powered up. 

May 10, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #699 of 18,459

Quote:
Ok, tks so much for enlightening me, I didnt know the schematics were nonexistent. I wont be able to attend CanJam unfortunately so the EHHA-2/Stacker comparison will have to be covered by others and guessed upon from myself:frowning2: If there are any builders for this EHHA-2 (match made in heaven for LCD-2) Id be very interested in knowing about it.

Damn quoted reply doesn't work for me...  Really having a hard time seeing how the H-F is an "improvement."  But I digress...

There is one EHHA-2 in existence, and it belongs to Don.  I'm not sure if another will make it to CanJam or not.  One Liquid Gold exists and belongs to Pabbi1.  It will at CanJam. 

The CTH would be able to drive the LCD-2s, EHHA kits are still available, though it was designed around the 6GM8 tube so other tubes that work at the lower voltage are tricky to apply. 

To be fair, Don, Sachu and I have taken the Cavalli Audio "Redpill", so we're probably a little biased (pun intended) towards his designs.  Other designs that would be a good fit are DEKWARE's CSP2 and the Aikido 24V Hybrid.  The 24V Hybrid is a rare bird and I haven't tried JB's new headphone amp as I'm having too much fun modding the 24V to run at 75V with either 6GM8 or 6N23Pi tubes.  A FirstWatt F5 will certainly be capable of driving the LCD-2s, but it needs a new PS to get noise and ripple down to acceptable levels, plus resistors on the positive leads to the TRS jack to prevent bad things happening to the F5 if the cans are unplugged when the F5 is powered up. 

Boilermakerfan, tks for expanding the info. The CTH sounds interestign but IOm not looking for something that "can" drive the LCD-2, Im looking for something that will make it competitive with a O2/BHSE combo, a nothing else could be bettered type of amp design(Im not saying "best" bc there is no best just a design that takes into account the LCD-2 quirks, measurements, etc).
But if you "Redpill" chewers think the EHHA-2 is remotely close to this it sounds very intriguing:)

May 10, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #700 of 18,459

Quote:

Boilermakerfan, tks for expanding the info. The CTH sounds interestign but IOm not looking for something that "can" drive the LCD-2, Im looking for something that will make it competitive with a O2/BHSE combo, a nothing else could be bettered type of amp design(Im not saying "best" bc there is no best just a design that takes into account the LCD-2 quirks, measurements, etc).
But if you "Redpill" chewers think the EHHA-2 is remotely close to this it sounds very intriguing:)

Had to turn off full-page editor to get the quotes to work...

With that clarification, then there are more questions generated.  Are you looking for the top options of available amps or are you willing to wait and see if the EHHA-2 becomes available in the near future?  Or do you wait further for other designs such as the Super Bijou which is hinted at on the Cavalli Audio web site, but no prototypes exist?  Do you want solid state, all tube, or a hybrid amp?  Since you asked about EHHA-2 builders, I'm assuming you are not opposed to a commissioned build of a DIY design, but you have no desire to build the amp yourself. 

My recommendations were for available, existing designs that should pair up nicely with the LCD-2s.  You could buy an existing amp and enjoy a set of LCD-2s while you wait to see what other Cavalli Audio amps become available in the near future.  If the EHHA-2 becomes available, you can upgrade at that time and sell the other amp.  Any "loss" on the sale of the old amp can be viewed as "rent paid" for the option of owning a pair of LCD-2s and listening to them during that time frame while waiting for the other amps to be released. 

May 10, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #701 of 18,459
Quote:
redface.gif

I think I posted a pic of one upthread. This is the only published pic AFAIK.

May 10, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #702 of 18,459
Im all for hybrid design. And seeing the amp/phone as one unit. Thats why I have the Mactone for the K1000 and getting the BHSE for the O2, so a top/best for LCD-2 to do it justice is wanted. You think the Bijou would be better than the EHHA-2.
Commision build, absolutely!

Quote:

Had to turn off full-page editor to get the quotes to work...

With that clarification, then there are more questions generated.  Are you looking for the top options of available amps or are you willing to wait and see if the EHHA-2 becomes available in the near future?  Or do you wait further for other designs such as the Super Bijou which is hinted at on the Cavalli Audio web site, but no prototypes exist?  Do you want solid state, all tube, or a hybrid amp?  Since you asked about EHHA-2 builders, I'm assuming you are not opposed to a commissioned build of a DIY design, but you have no desire to build the amp yourself. 

My recommendations were for available, existing designs that should pair up nicely with the LCD-2s.  You could buy an existing amp and enjoy a set of LCD-2s while you wait to see what other Cavalli Audio amps become available in the near future.  If the EHHA-2 becomes available, you can upgrade at that time and sell the other amp.  Any "loss" on the sale of the old amp can be viewed as "rent paid" for the option of owning a pair of LCD-2s and listening to them during that time frame while waiting for the other amps to be released. 

May 10, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #703 of 18,459

Quote:
I think I posted a pic of one upthread. This is the only published pic AFAIK.

That picture doesn't tell me so much. Apparenty it's something mounted on a round baffle... but we cant see the voice coil.... what we can see is a strange pattern I think if that's the voice coil, lines going across each other like that. I think maybe it tells me less than not having seen it. V confusing.

May 10, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #704 of 18,459
There is no "voice coil."  Good thing you don't see one.  
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back