Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
May 9, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #676 of 18,459
I didn't sleep much last eve'...the fault is tossed right at the feet of the Audez'e. I got on an Opera binge...Verdi, Rossini, Bizet, Wagner (you get the picture) not snippets mind you...entire Opera's (whew!). Occasional stops to shovel a sandwich or use the potty
L3000.gif
 (I have a fridge next to my chair)!! 

May 9, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #677 of 18,459
You wouldn't want too. The supplied Headband is very comfortable, and is a cornerstone for the necessary Geometry to maintain the physical balance (the phones are large and heavy) , and spring rate tension of the pads. It's a very integrated (and well thought-out) system. You could of course, remake the stirrup (the driver housings are BIG), but unnecessary....

I wouldn't worry about the "foam".....I like it! 

Quote:
Do you guys think it would possible for me to attach the lcd-2 cups to a beyer headband?

May 9, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #678 of 18,459
Agreed on the foam bit..It is super comfortable.

As for burn in, I was told by kwkarth that the diaphragm material has a unique property that it supposedly retains the same tension that it is set with during manufacture of the drivers. This means that even many years down the line there will be no degradation that plagues every dynamic headphone and even some orthos. The only real burn in then here will be a psychoacoustic one, which is still important. The more I listen to this headphone the more I learn to appreciate what it is capable of. This is true for any headphone which you know of course. 

May 9, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #680 of 18,459

Quote:
dBel84 could you describe the amp you are using in more detail? Any comment on it compared to à StackerII?

I am not sure how useful this would be as there are not too many people that know what a stacker sounds like :) . But if you are going to canjam , you will get to hear how both a stacker and this amp sounds

The amp is essentially a jazzed up EHHA - has the output power of an EHHA and thus the slam for those deep notes, but uses HV on the tubes to have them operating at a much better electrical point as well as making the amp significantly faster. It remains DC coupled. For me, it has the same ability to expose the microdetails in all their glory while retaining enough voltage swing and current demand for the most complex pieces of music to headphones which crave a little power.

..dB

May 9, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #681 of 18,459
Agreed, I am hearing a similar difference between the EHHA -1 and the stacker 2. I am not convinced that the micro details on the EHHA-2 match that of the stacker 2 (though much better than the EHHA-1), will wait to listen to it side by side.

More slam on the EHHA but the detailing on the stacker is just something else. Shame that the stacker 2 doesn't look like is going to be available, but the EHHA-1 does a commendable job with the LCD-2 which doesn't come as a surprise to me. From the current crop of popular DIY amps, EHHA-1 gets my vote for the LCD-2.

If you are on a budget and want a portable, the ALO Rx sounds pretty darn good with the LCD-2. I am still writing up my impressions and will post in full later tonight.

May 9, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #682 of 18,459
Sachu

You were supposed to say Smeggy's TPs are nearly as good as the LCD-2s, say 85% or so.  That way I wouldn't pine for them nearly as much as I do now since curiosity is getting the better of me.  Time to hit up Germania for another cable so I'll have it in time for CJ.  My CA LG boards haven't arrived yet either.  I'm running out of time to get that thing built. 

Need to see how much I can get for my blood and plasma now...

May 10, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #684 of 18,459

Quote:

THE CAVEAT! There has to be at least one...right! I don't know if burn-in alone will ever cure my observation completely. It's the upper-most frequencies (not the fundamental as such...but the harmonic and resulting sub-harmonics) that are merely average. Not that the over-all balance isn't plausible...IT IS!

Example: The Verdi Arias; Sondra Radvanovsky with Constantine Orbelian Conducting is very revealing toward this regard. A splendid (if unforgiving) recording of a good collection of the Verdi Arias. The arching (more like vaulting) Soprano from Sondra is widely regarded and World renowned. The playback on the Audez'e is good to almost very good here...not outstanding like the rest of the frequency band. It will congest and show a glint of nasality at the outermost dynamic reaches of her voice....The 800, on the other hand strides through this with no effort, looking over it's shoulder and asks Sondra "That all you got?".

Nice impressions!

Sounds to me like this might be because you've been listening to the HD800 for a while.  I'm curious to know how this will develop as you listen to them more over the next few weeks.  Having less treble energy than the HD800 is a good thing for me
wink_face.gif

May 10, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #685 of 18,459
Yes Sir, I am approaching our first anniversary this Month! Synergy is the problem, not the 800. As ruthless as the "other" revealing phone...the Qualia. Sounds down-right relentless with the wrong gear and cable. The entire year has been an ongoing experiment! 

Being able to listen to the Audez'e at reduced levels, makes the treble reduction less obvious. Upper limits of the Violin loose some vibrancy, the Piano will observe a slight reduction in sparkle and the Soprano can (not will) glass a bit. Wouldn't be noticeable or even objectionable save the rest of the performance, which is outstanding.

That reduction in both treble hash and playback level can make for a VERY long listening session if one wished!! No Fatigue... That's a big fricken bonus!

Quote:

Nice impressions!

Sounds to me like this might be because you've been listening to the HD800 for a while.  I'm curious to know how this will develop as you listen to them more over the next few weeks.  Having less treble energy than the HD800 is a good thing for me
wink_face.gif

May 10, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #686 of 18,459
dBel84,

thanks for clarifying, do you have MOSFETs on the output stage?

sachu, I have a ALO RX so that will be fun to try, but Im really looking for something that can "stack" up against the O2I/BHSE combo, so a world class partner for the LCD-2.
Any idea of something else or know anyone that can build a StackerII?

May 10, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #687 of 18,459

Quote:
dBel84,

thanks for clarifying, do you have MOSFETs on the output stage?

sachu, I have a ALO RX so that will be fun to try, but Im really looking for something that can "stack" up against the O2I/BHSE combo, so a world class partner for the LCD-2.
Any idea of something else or know anyone that can build a StackerII?

yes, Don is running MOsfets in the output stage on his EHHA-2.

As for someone building a stacker 2..sorry, that is not possible anymore AFAIK. 

May 10, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #689 of 18,459

Quote:
You mean the StackerII parts are impossible to find anymore?

Someone close to the O2 partner?

No, the Stacker 2 isn't a published design. The ones out in the wild are mainly prototypes and even they differ a fair bit in design as it has been through so many iterations from what I am told.

May 10, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #690 of 18,459
Ok, tks so much for enlightening me, I didnt know the schematics were nonexistent. I wont be able to attend CanJam unfortunately so the EHHA-2/Stacker comparison will have to be covered by others and guessed upon from myself:frowning2: If there are any builders for this EHHA-2 (match made in heaven for LCD-2) Id be very interested in knowing about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back