ATH-W1000X Thread!
May 16, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #978 of 1,994
May 16, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #979 of 1,994
Quote:
What do you mean by Decay, as in Linger like decay as in it sticks around 

It doesn't echo back as much anymore. But the smoothness and tonality and the "magic" still remains.

It's hard to explain... but I think you'll like it after you apply the mod.

May 16, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #981 of 1,994
May 16, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #983 of 1,994
Quote:
I can send you a bit in the mail next week, PM me your address. You only need a small piece.

No charge.

Oh thanks, can you include some pics of a better guide to the mod, purrins is kinda vauge! 

May 17, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #984 of 1,994
Quote:
And if you do not it takes 5 seconds to change back..

Yep. But I don't think anyone would change back.

I know personally that I wouldn't change back. The W1000X is now my favorite headphone of all times.

What's amazing is that the ear cups have gone through all this ordeal without even a single tiny scratch. I'm careful with it, but I was expecting the glossy finish to pick up tiny scratches like crazy. The W3000ANV I saw last time at the SF Bay Area had some pretty visible hairline scratches.

May 17, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #985 of 1,994
Quote:
What's amazing is that the ear cups have gone through all this ordeal without even a single tiny scratch. I'm careful with it, but I was expecting the glossy finish to pick up tiny scratches like crazy. The W3000ANV I saw last time at the SF Bay Area had some pretty visible hairline scratches.

The Echizen lacquer finish on the W3000ANV is far more delicate than whatever finish is on the W1000X's cups. I'm hesitant to even do a pad swap on the W3K for fear of getting nasty scratches on them in my clumsiness.

Probably has something to do with how the W3K has a ultra-rich, mirror-polished finish.

May 17, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #986 of 1,994
Yeah... but I don't get that part. Scratch-resistant coating wouldn't have cost them that much more (based on the pricing of the headphone), right?

The W3000ANV is a pair of beautiful headphones, and my heart sank when I saw those hairline scratches on the ear cups. I almost wanted to tell the owner that he shouldn't have brought it to the meet. But he was nice enough to let me demo them, so... being the hypocrite that I was, I just shut up and listened.

If I get the chance again this summer, I'd love to compare my purrin-modded + felt-modded + L3000-padded W1000X against the W3000ANV. While I love the W1000X now, for certain music, I think the W3000ANV would still be the much better choice.

May 17, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #987 of 1,994
Quote:
Yeah... but I don't get that part. Scratch-resistant coating wouldn't have cost them that much more (based on the pricing of the headphone), right?

The W3000ANV is a pair of beautiful headphones, and my heart sank when I saw those hairline scratches on the ear cups. I almost wanted to tell the owner that he shouldn't have brought it to the meet. But he was nice enough to let me demo them, so... being the hypocrite that I was, I just shut up and listened.

If I get the chance again this summer, I'd love to compare my purrin-modded + felt-modded + L3000-padded W1000X against the W3000ANV. While I love the W1000X now, for certain music, I think the W3000ANV would still be the much better choice.

The W1000X's have a much duller finish; a more durable coating would probably compromise the mirror-like sheen on the 3K. That said, I'd prefer the added durability for the small hit in aesthetics. AT probably thinks that as a statement product, the W3000ANV would need to look as much like a showpiece as possible.

When I contacted ATUS, they naturally told me I couldn't order replacement earcups for the W3K (was intending to buy a pair as insurance); they only had replacement cables and elements reserved for warranty service. They also informed me that the finish can only be repaired at the point of manufacture, but I somewhat doubt this is true and plan on seeing what a professional restorer can do if and when the time comes. If it comes down to it, I might even have them clear-coat the cups after buffing/polishing.

I actually highly doubt any 3000ANV that's ever been handled with direct contact to the cups is free of micro-scratches. Still, this would probably only affect serious collectors as the headphone looks brilliant:

The W3000ANV are a very special headphone, especially for the lover of female vocals, chamber music, et al. That said, I'd have little inclination to move from the W1000Xs if it weren't for the W3Ks being a limited release. It upsets me that AT's finest products are limited runs. The W1000X is the finest of their continued-production closed lineup.

May 19, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #988 of 1,994
Yeah, it's a pity that Audio Technica doesn't release the W3000ANV with more ample quantity.

It would give the Fostex TH900 good competition. From my brief time with either, the W3000ANV seemed like a better fit for vocal-centric music. It was the sole reason why I was interested in Audio Technica's full size wooden headphones. I wouldn't have bought the W1000X without first listening to the W3000ANV.

May 23, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #989 of 1,994
Quote:
Yeah, it's a pity that Audio Technica doesn't release the W3000ANV with more ample quantity.

I think this run of anniversary headphones has been AT's largest, compared to some of their previous anniversary/limited release headphone models.  The specialty finished cups would be a pain to manufacture in larger numbers, IMO.  

Jun 12, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #990 of 1,994
I just acquired a Little Dot II++ from a very nice local gentleman.

And the W1000X sings with it! Wow... the synergy is just so good here. Bass is more polite but still plentiful, treble is breathy and not strident or piercing anymore even at high volumes, and the mid is really to die for. So smooth, so sweet, so emotional.

I think W1000X just loves tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back