ATH-W1000X Thread!
Jun 12, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #991 of 1,994
Quote:
I just acquired a Little Dot II++ from a very nice local gentleman.

And the W1000X sings with it! Wow... the synergy is just so good here. Bass is more polite but still plentiful, treble is breathy and not strident or piercing anymore even at high volumes, and the mid is really to die for. So smooth, so sweet, so emotional.

I think W1000X just loves tubes.

Hmm sounds like an interesting pairing, may I ask how much did it cost?

I do find that tubes bring out the best in the W1000x, my Pan Am works pretty darn well with the W1000x, the mids just overflow with lush beauty :)
I also find the tubes kind of take away a bit edge in the treble, which is occasionally is pretty good.

Jun 16, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #993 of 1,994
Quote:
He was nice enough to let me have the LDII++ for $80.

It sounds so good at stock that I still can't believe it. Even low quality Youtube video clips sound good with this setup. It's so liquid smooth.

I can attest ot that, I have a $100 hybrid tube, a Millet Hybrid of some form, still with mid range NOS RVA clear tops my w1000x sound amazing :D

Jun 17, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #994 of 1,994
Yeah... this is just so amazing! I still can't believe what I'm hearing. The glare in the treble region is completely gone, but it's still clean, clear, bright, and very airy, and there's a tad bit more details that I can hear, too, since my ears are not assaulted by sibilance anymore.

Midrange is liquid smooth, lush, and intoxicating. Even vocaloids sound life-like with this!

Bass is tamed, polite, tight but not overpowering. Now midbass and subbass are more in line with each other, and I think it makes things more balanced.

By the way, the Little Dot II++ came with Ediswan as stock driver tubes. I think I'll grab a pair of Mullard CV131 some time later, since words are that the Mullards sound better than the Ediswan. Will change power tubes soon, though.

Edit: power tubes switched for 6C19P. And wow... bass becomes obviously tighter and slightly more present, but not overpowering. Overall sound is slightly smoother and cleaner, too.

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #995 of 1,994
Quote:
Yeah... this is just so amazing! I still can't believe what I'm hearing. The glare in the treble region is completely gone, but it's still clean, clear, bright, and very airy, and there's a tad bit more details that I can hear, too, since my ears are not assaulted by sibilance anymore.

Midrange is liquid smooth, lush, and intoxicating. Even vocaloids sound life-like with this!

Bass is tamed, polite, tight but not overpowering. Now midbass and subbass are more in line with each other, and I think it makes things more balanced.

By the way, the Little Dot II++ came with Ediswan as stock driver tubes. I think I'll grab a pair of Mullard CV131 some time later, since words are that the Mullards sound better than the Ediswan. Will change power tubes soon, though.

Edit: power tubes switched for 6C19P. And wow... bass becomes obviously tighter and slightly more present, but not overpowering. Overall sound is slightly smoother and cleaner, too.

Maybe so, I had [or have] some mullards and they are nice, REALLY thick though, I prefer my clear tops on my hybrid tube over the mullards in the hybrid. I like tubes, but I like em as tight as you can get them xD 

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #996 of 1,994
If it's too thick, try Purrin's mod. It does take away a bit of the warmth that's caused by resonance with the wood housing, although mainly, it just makes things tighter and faster. (basically makes the W1000X sound more like an open-backed pair of cans)

I like a bright and open sound, too, but not when lower treble is so prominent. At lower volume, it's not a problem, but it's insane at loud volume. I listen to some recordings pretty loud, so I wanna make sure my ears are not destroyed in the process.

I know there are headphones that sound bright but without that lower treble bite. The Audio Technica ATH-ES10 is one of them.

Granted, the W1000X still sounds much larger and more open, but the W1000X also came with that annoying lower treble bite that I don't like. Purrin's mod helped tremendously, and the Little Dot 2++ is coming pretty close. If the Mullard tubes can help overcome that further, then the W1000X will be end-game for me.
I'm 99.9% of the way. It's just a tiny little bit more... 
L3000.gif

Jun 22, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #998 of 1,994
Quote:
Until you acquire a W3000ANV, anyways.

tongue_smile.gif

I did get to hear the W3000ANV at the February meet. Out of the DNA Stratus no less! 
tongue_smile.gif

And I liked it VERY much! It sounded like a more mature ES10, which is actually my perfect tonality save for the fact that it's small and closed-in.

If I could trade my ES10 and W1000X for a W3000ANV, I would do so immediately.

My modded W1000X comes pretty close to the W3000ANV, but the lower treble is still not as pleasant.

Dang it, AT! You could have dampened the W1000X more!

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #999 of 1,994
Quote:

I did get to hear the W3000ANV at the February meet. Out of the DNA Stratus no less! 
tongue_smile.gif

And I liked it VERY much! It sounded like a more mature ES10, which is actually my perfect tonality save for the fact that it's small and closed-in.

If I could trade my ES10 and W1000X for a W3000ANV, I would do so immediately.

My modded W1000X comes pretty close to the W3000ANV, but the lower treble is still not as pleasant.

Dang it, AT! You could have dampened the W1000X more!

fOR REAL, I've yet to do the mod... I have the dynex sitting on a nice little stand waiting for me. But I kinda scared.... that stuff is STICKY STICKY STICKY... it might have like melted and re solidified or something... ethier way if I mod it it will NOT be reversable.... I highly doubt I'll be removing that stuff once I place it so I don't want to over dampen or screw it up! BUT I do think it will help! I can hear the reverb and I wouild appreciate if it was gone, since I've got tubes to add a wee bit o warmth to them. Besides they are plenty warm enough as is! And if they lose to much warmth. The mullards will help bring it all back! 

Non the less, If some one wants to pist a more detailed purring Guide I might try it here soon! Ethier way I'll get it done before I get new cans that's for sure. [But I need to get a new house first [well I need my Mad Dog back <3 then a new house and THEN my dt 880 600 ohm and my big boi tubes <3]

So glad you guys are still enjoying these! Might give my a listen again tonight. Just started a new job so I've been exhuasted [sleep work sleep work lol] Ethier way, I'll update ya when I get to that Mod, and thanks again to the fellow who sent me some free Dynex <3 Big help my friend! I'll be sure to share what ever I have left over with the next person who needs it xD 

Jun 29, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #1,000 of 1,994
Quote:
fOR REAL, I've yet to do the mod... I have the dynex sitting on a nice little stand waiting for me. But I kinda scared.... that stuff is STICKY STICKY STICKY... it might have like melted and re solidified or something... ethier way if I mod it it will NOT be reversable.... I highly doubt I'll be removing that stuff once I place it so I don't want to over dampen or screw it up! BUT I do think it will help! I can hear the reverb and I wouild appreciate if it was gone, since I've got tubes to add a wee bit o warmth to them. Besides they are plenty warm enough as is! And if they lose to much warmth. The mullards will help bring it all back! 

Non the less, If some one wants to pist a more detailed purring Guide I might try it here soon! Ethier way I'll get it done before I get new cans that's for sure. [But I need to get a new house first [well I need my Mad Dog back <3 then a new house and THEN my dt 880 600 ohm and my big boi tubes <3]

So glad you guys are still enjoying these! Might give my a listen again tonight. Just started a new job so I've been exhuasted [sleep work sleep work lol] Ethier way, I'll update ya when I get to that Mod, and thanks again to the fellow who sent me some free Dynex <3 Big help my friend! I'll be sure to share what ever I have left over with the next person who needs it xD 

No worries, and it comes right off of wood.

Jul 2, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #1,002 of 1,994
How are these for trance music? Any comparison to the Ultrasone HFI-580?

Jul 2, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #1,003 of 1,994
Yes it s good for trance or house etc...

I used to listen to that genre of music with the w1000x, the only reason that made me sell them was the sibilance on female vocals

Jul 2, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #1,004 of 1,994
Quote:
Yes it s good for trance or house etc...

I used to listen to that genre of music with the w1000x, the only reason that made me sell them was the sibilance on female vocals

Was the sibilance present even with the purrin mod or j$ mod?

Jul 2, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #1,005 of 1,994
Quote:
Was the sibilance present even with the purrin mod or j$ mod?

It's significantly reduced with purrin's mod. After purrin's mod, instead of a blinding flash of sibilance, it's reduced to merely a split second spike. And it's very dependent of source. Coupled with a tube amp, the spike doesn't appear at all. It's a breathy and natural sound.

I have no idea if J$ ear pads would be able to remedy it, but I know the L3000 ear pads don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back