ATH-W1000X Thread!
Aug 7, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #1,022 of 1,994
Quote:
Well I got mine in the mail yesterday....can see why they're so well liked. They have a gorgeous tone and I much prefer them to the 650s I had. And the wood is to die for :)

Ain't that the truth...  I first bought the hd650 then the w1000x a little afterwards.  And now I end up picking up the w1000x first for listening.  It's such a "IN YOUR FACE" set of cans.  Don't get me wrong, I love my HD650's but maybe a just a little more love for the w1000x 
wink_face.gif
.  And the wood...  (SIGH)....  Not just a WOODY amazing sound but OMG it's a beauty!  I've had my w1000x for about 6 months now and I have noticed that the wood on these cans has darkened a little and it's just so NICE looking...

CHEERS 

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #1,023 of 1,994
Quote:
Ain't that the truth...  I first bought the hd650 then the w1000x a little afterwards.  And now I end up picking up the w1000x first for listening.  It's such a "IN YOUR FACE" set of cans.  Don't get me wrong, I love my HD650's but maybe a just a little more love for the w1000x 
wink_face.gif
.  And the wood...  (SIGH)....  Not just a WOODY amazing sound but OMG it's a beauty!  I've had my w1000x for about 6 months now and I have noticed that the wood on these cans has darkened a little and it's just so NICE looking...

CHEERS 

I happen to like mine with the mods I gave it and a Hybrid Tube Amp, tube keeps those mids gorgeous while the mods keeps everything nice n tight n in ur face to some extent. Not to mention the mods REALLY tighten up the bass 

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #1,026 of 1,994
Hi guys, I'm about to upgrade to the Fostex TH-900, so I'm going to be letting go of my W1000x to raise funds/ make space for it. So if anyone is interested in getting a pair in great condition just let me know via PM!

Also, I've recently managed to try the W3000ANV, and I have to say that the mids on those are absolutely stunning, not as glaring and occasionally "too forward" like the W1000x, and the treble was far smoother, anyone who owns a pair of those must be really lucky!

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #1,027 of 1,994
Quote:
Hi guys, I'm about to upgrade to the Fostex TH-900, so I'm going to be letting go of my W1000x to raise funds/ make space for it. So if anyone is interested in getting a pair in great condition just let me know via PM!

Also, I've recently managed to try the W3000ANV, and I have to say that the mids on those are absolutely stunning, not as glaring and occasionally "too forward" like the W1000x, and the treble was far smoother, anyone who owns a pair of those must be really lucky!

Don't remind me the 3000 ANV is on  my list.... Tax Refund money might be a pair of these and a proper Tube 

Also out of my Solid State I will say that a Modded w1000x can pass for Refrance Quality, The mods+ L3k pads + an LME 49990 Solid State  really tames everything. Bass Tightens, Mids tighten and lose a little of that woody flavor. Adelle's voice still remains some what thick and deep on the Solid State, ofc the hybrid tube is MUCH nicer, Oh yea

:D guys check out my blog! [My First review being my W1000x <3] http://hifilittleriver.blogspot.com/

That being said, I've come into about an Extra $300 dollars, so I'm about to sink it into a Headphone Binge, lot's of reviews of Upper Tier 1 Cans [Sub $200 (Excluding used)] going to be using my w1000x as a refrance with my Solid State 

That being said though, I really do love these cans <3 despite having to fight for a week to get the fit right! 

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #1,028 of 1,994
Quote:

The mids in the Fostex TH-900 aren't "woody" sounding. Quite clear sounding actually. In the past I have described the mids of the W1000X as woody sounding. I suppose the W3000ANV must be really woody sounding. :p

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #1,029 of 1,994
Quote:
The mids in the Fostex TH-900 aren't "woody" sounding. Quite clear sounding actually. In the past I have described the mids of the W1000X as woody sounding. I suppose the W3000ANV must be really woody sounding. :p

xD maybe so, I'd imagine they'd be a little different... maybe like the differance between touching a soft wood [like pine] and a hard wood [like Oak] yes both are HARD, but there's a little different tactility in the harder wood, ethier way I'd shudder to think how much better the w3000ANV sounds over my modded w1000x!

Also OMIGAWD, out of my matrix these things still sound pretty nice, and THAT BASS. Listening to a dub step tune [NO EQ mind u NO BASS boost either] and MAN that Sub Bass really hits me! It's not to obvious a nice subtle BAM to my ears [another reason u guys need to Mod these thigns n get new pads :D

Sadly though, I'm comparing my w1000x to a Sony ZX 300 [which is a mid forward $30 can] ... I wish I had words to describe the woody mids... magical is just to vague lol 

Still a BIG disappointment... the ZX300 does bass as well as my w1000x,,, LAWL at least for Classical n jazz atm [ofc the sound stage is clustered as crap, but once you find the bass in the ZX300 itt's pretty spot on!] 

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #1,030 of 1,994
Quote:
xD maybe so, I'd imagine they'd be a little different... maybe like the differance between touching a soft wood [like pine] and a hard wood [like Oak] yes both are HARD, but there's a little different tactility in the harder wood, ethier way I'd shudder to think how much better the w3000ANV sounds over my modded w1000x!

Also OMIGAWD, out of my matrix these things still sound pretty nice, and THAT BASS. Listening to a dub step tune [NO EQ mind u NO BASS boost either] and MAN that Sub Bass really hits me! It's not to obvious a nice subtle BAM to my ears [another reason u guys need to Mod these thigns n get new pads :D

Sadly though, I'm comparing my w1000x to a Sony ZX 300 [which is a mid forward $30 can] ... I wish I had words to describe the woody mids... magical is just to vague lol 

Still a BIG disappointment... the ZX300 does bass as well as my w1000x,,, LAWL at least for Classical n jazz atm [ofc the sound stage is clustered as crap, but once you find the bass in the ZX300 itt's pretty spot on!] 

Did you do the purrin mod on the W1000X yourself? I'm a bit curious about if there's any stock damping or cotton inside the cups.

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #1,031 of 1,994
Quote:
Did you do the purrin mod on the W1000X yourself? I'm a bit curious about if there's any stock damping or cotton inside the cups.

I did, there is this weird yellow ish... stuff like insulation almost inside of the cups. The purrin mod instructions encouraged you not to touch it and to vaccum when ur done [I just dumped it out and slid it back in]

but yes there is some stock dampening in there, I think the Dynamat helps to remove the extra resonnace that lower freq sounds get from the deeper part of the cup and the wood, as I put the dynamat in 4 places along the bottom back of the cups, where it's deepest. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #1,033 of 1,994
Quote:

Part of the reason I don't use my W1000X much anymore after purchasing the W3000ANV over a year ago.  Mids are such a pleasure to listen to with the W3000ANV, that I find it hard to get any head time with my other headphones.  

I'm considering selling off my W1000X and HD650 (and some other stuff) to justify buying the TH-900 as well but I haven't committed to it.  

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #1,034 of 1,994
Quote:
Hmm, I think removing that might decrease bass. (not sure actually, and I might want to try increase bass)

I'm a little bit tempted to try the damping, but not exactly that tempted to take my W1000X apart.

And I think I found an image of the yellow stuff:
http://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/image.php?id=24551&row=1
http://www.hd.club.tw/thread-109299-1-1.html

It's pretty easy to take the W1000X apart to apply damping mods.  Just pull off ear pads and there's only a few small screws on each side holding the ear cups.  Just don't lose the screws and you'll be ok!

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #1,035 of 1,994
Quote:
Hmm, I think removing that might decrease bass. (not sure actually, and I might want to try increase bass)

I'm a little bit tempted to try the damping, but not exactly that tempted to take my W1000X apart.

And I think I found an image of the yellow stuff:
http://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/image.php?id=24551&row=1
http://www.hd.club.tw/thread-109299-1-1.html

Bingo! There it is, although I did NOT remove that stuff... i added Dynamat below it! And the w1000x needs it's bass reduced! The Mod and the L3000 pads Tighten the entire sound stage up! Making it a woody sexy mid compliment to the dt 880 [which has better bass and highs although it is NOT V shaped and out of my Matrix has some amazing lower mids :O [almost as good as the w1000x] 
Quote:

It's pretty easy to take the W1000X apart to apply damping mods.  Just pull off ear pads and there's only a few small screws on each side holding the ear cups.  Just don't lose the screws and you'll be ok!

yeaper! the screws r SUPER tiny so make sure u have a small screw driver... I almost stripped mine q.q 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back