ATH-W1000X Thread!
Aug 9, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #1,036 of 1,994
Quote:
Bingo! There it is, although I did NOT remove that stuff... i added Dynamat below it! And the w1000x needs it's bass reduced! The Mod and the L3000 pads Tighten the entire sound stage up! Making it a woody sexy mid compliment to the dt 880 [which has better bass and highs although it is NOT V shaped and out of my Matrix has some amazing lower mids :O [almost as good as the w1000x] 

Have you tried the Denon D5000? I just got the wood cups from a D5000 and chucked them on my D2000. They are a warmth and bass paradise - probably my favourite headphones at the moment, but of course my W1000X are still stock. The W1000X seem to have more detail than the D2000 with wood cups though.

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #1,037 of 1,994
Quote:
Have you tried the Denon D5000? I just got the wood cups from a D5000 and chucked them on my D2000. They are a warmth and bass paradise - probably my favourite headphones at the moment, but of course my W1000X are still stock. The W1000X seem to have more detail than the D2000 with wood cups though.

No. becuz I broke! Plus I like open bass cans. My dt 990 are still my favorite can and I eq the bass closer to stock every week it seems lol. So a Closed Bass would irriate me [as it already does] 

Still though they look nice, but I think'd they'd be to warm for meh! 

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #1,038 of 1,994
Quote:

Part of the reason I don't use my W1000X much anymore after purchasing the W3000ANV over a year ago.  Mids are such a pleasure to listen to with the W3000ANV, that I find it hard to get any head time with my other headphones.  

I'm considering selling off my W1000X and HD650 (and some other stuff) to justify buying the TH-900 as well but I haven't committed to it.  

I find the coloration of the mids on the W3000ANV absolutely gorgeous, though I do SLIGHTLY prefer my LCD-2's ortho-liquidy mids. After a short demo of the TH-900 I more or less "fell in love" so to speak and have decided to take the deep plunge :) Hopefully on extended listen they'll sound even more superb!

Quote:
The mids in the Fostex TH-900 aren't "woody" sounding. Quite clear sounding actually. In the past I have described the mids of the W1000X as woody sounding. I suppose the W3000ANV must be really woody sounding. :p

I think the mids are more natural and transparent on the TH-900, but the coloration on the mids on the 3000ANV are great as well :) But between the 2, the clarity of the TH-900 seems more my style, I'm a fan of transparency :)

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #1,039 of 1,994
Quote:

I find the coloration of the mids on the W3000ANV absolutely gorgeous, though I do SLIGHTLY prefer my LCD-2's ortho-liquidy mids. After a short demo of the TH-900 I more or less "fell in love" so to speak and have decided to take the deep plunge :) Hopefully on extended listen they'll sound even more superb!

I think the mids are more natural and transparent on the TH-900, but the coloration on the mids on the 3000ANV are great as well :) But between the 2, the clarity of the TH-900 seems more my style, I'm a fan of transparency :)

I dig both transparency and color

Hence is why for me the Dt 880 out of solid state, and the w1000x out of a tube was a winning combo [ I AM repurchasing my dt 880 pro 250 ohm dangit!] 

Plus the mods to my w1000x make it much more refined and transparent than stock ever was! 

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #1,040 of 1,994
I have the W1000x connected to a Schiit Lyr+ Xonar with Amperex Orange Globes and they sound absolutely amazing! The mids are brought forward and given more substance and the treble is extended. Would definitely recommend the orange globes, could not be happier :)

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #1,041 of 1,994
Quote:
I have the W1000x connected to a Schiit Lyr+ Xonar with Amperex Orange Globes and they sound absolutely amazing! The mids are brought forward and given more substance and the treble is extended. Would definitely recommend the orange globes, could not be happier :)

Bringing the mids forward?! The W1000x's are already very mid forward, I use tubes that widen the soundstage and puts little emphasis on mids, I can't imagine even mids anymore forward than that! Though I'm glad you're enjoying the cans!

Aug 24, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #1,042 of 1,994

Bringing the mids forward?! The W1000x's are already very mid forward, I use tubes that widen the soundstage and puts little emphasis on mids, I can't imagine even mids anymore forward than that! Though I'm glad you're enjoying the cans!

I can definitely understand what you mean, a friend of mine listened to them and when he put 'Doctor my Eyes' on, he literally jumped and said "Why is Jackson Brown screaming right beside me?!?!". I do love the increased intimacy when listening to soft vocals though, but I may just be weird!

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #1,044 of 1,994
Quote:

Indeed, I had to mod a lot of the icky excessive body and decay out of my w1000x. I do love it... immensely! Sadly though the Akg K550 is better with male vocals... and ONLY male vocals [which who cares because I only have 3 songs with singing men lol] that being said  the w1000x get the most head time for me hands down
Quote:

I can definitely understand what you mean, a friend of mine listened to them and when he put 'Doctor my Eyes' on, he literally jumped and said "Why is Jackson Brown screaming right beside me?!?!". I do love the increased intimacy when listening to soft vocals though, but I may just be weird!

I know right, 

But guys I have some SAD news. I got a pair of ReCabled Balanced Beyer Dt 880 600 ohms :O

It was the desire for a Beyer like sound sig that got me to the W1000x in the first place! That top spot might have some compeition :D 

But honestly though, the stock w1000x is not that forward. there are PLENTY of cheap headphones that have FAR more forward mids. The w1000x just has some of the BEST forward mids around <3

As every one says. you have to mod it! Makes it even better! 

oooooh wow, listening to some Grungey Heavy Metal ish Post Rock atm, and I do say that distorted guitar sounds so HEAVY on my w1000x. It's a good sound, it's got some POWER and meat on it's bones... I might give metallica's Black Album another listen tonight! 

Aug 27, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #1,046 of 1,994
Quote:
If anyone is looking for a pair, mine are up for sale. Really enjoyed them but think I'm gonna splurge on some LCD-2s or HE-500s.

Oh nice, let us know when the add goes live! 

Sep 7, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #1,048 of 1,994
Think of upgrading from my ATH-A900Xs to the ATH-A1000Xs,
How much of a difference is there?
(Guess I will use my O2 to drive them)

Sep 7, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #1,049 of 1,994
  Think of upgrading from my ATH-A900Xs to the ATH-A1000Xs,
How much of a difference is there?
(Guess I will use my O2 to drive them)

Very very different sound signature. A1000X is a bright headphone with lean bass, I think going to W1000X is a safer choice.

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #1,050 of 1,994

Very very different sound signature. A1000X is a bright headphone with lean bass, I think going to W1000X is a safer choice.

Say that again :O Bright with LEAN bass... that sounds kinda nice... I'd love for the W1000x to have a leaner bass >.> other than it's laid back bass I love it 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back