ATH-W1000X Thread!
May 12, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #962 of 1,994
Quote:
Wow...

UHA-6S Mk.II = I can feel blood dripping down my ears...

Sansui 331 w/ treble control = pure music

Dang it, I LOVE this amp. You've just convinced me to let the UHA-6S Mk.II go and find a better desktop amp...

I might try adjusting the treble via an eq if you hate it that much on ur Amp. Or finding a WARMER DAC to process ur music. Since your eq'ing already with ur Sansui 331 [that is a hard ware eq though and I like those over software eq's tbh] 

May 12, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #963 of 1,994
Actually, I think I'm getting it just right with the Sansui 331, so I'll just leave it as is.

Fiddling with software EQ is something I try to avoid anyway...

Now that I've tamed the treble at last... the W1000X is so intoxicating. I'd hate to part with this headphone now. W1000X for home use + ES10 for portable is perfect for me.

May 12, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #964 of 1,994
Quote:
Actually, I think I'm getting it just right with the Sansui 331, so I'll just leave it as is.

Fiddling with software EQ is something I try to avoid anyway...

Now that I've tamed the treble at last... the W1000X is so intoxicating. I'd hate to part with this headphone now. W1000X for home use + ES10 for portable is perfect for me.

happy to hear it! I still like mine through my hybrid Tube amp <3 and sadly it's a budget hybrid lol. I can only imagine how a pure tube would sound :D 

MAN these cans sound GREAT, the later it get's the more I dig em 

I noticed for some reason I can feel more bass the sleepyr I am... 4 am listening seeisions are pretty epic! Music is just better at that time.

Non the less it's 1 am and I got a long ish day tommorow! Night guys [So glad I bought these cans] 

May 13, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #965 of 1,994
Well, reporting back for some small findings...

I tried putting some felt and foam in front of the driver, and also switched out the ring in front with a thicker felt.

None of that helped decreasing the treble energy caused by some bad recordings. They simply made the sound warmer and more congested (in other words, bad!). I was right not to destroy the original foam ring... (taking it out without damaging it is a pain... so... DON'T TRY IT!)

But stuffing felt strips under the ear pads proved to be a much better experiment than paper tissues (hah!). It increases soundstage without compromising details, and it's black felt, so it doesn't stick out like white tissues... plus the pads are still supple since felt is not as stiff as paper tissue, so I'd highly recommend that for those who own the L3000 ear pads! I got 2 big black felt pads for $0.79 after tax at Palace Arts...

Last thing I'm going to try now is to put a felt ring in the back of the cup where the driver enclosure is. The felt is ~1.2mm in thickness, so I hope it'll fit after all. Let's see if that helps... But thus far, UHA-6S Mk.II is still not a viable source since it's just too bright for me.

Edit: Well, that did the trick! It doesn't change the sound signature (this is good), but just like purrin's mod, it  further tightens the sound. I guess purrin was being too careful when he said the drivers needed room to breathe. Or maybe he was referring to the acoustic insulation pads, which are admittedly much thicker and stiffer than soft felt. The Dynamat Extreme that I used measures around 2mm or so.

I should have done this last week or so if I knew it was this easy...

Edit 2: Yep. That was it! It's perfect now. I'm keeping the UHA-6S Mk.II for when I need to hear someone in the audience sneeze...

I'll take the W1000X apart and take photos again later on... since I'm kinda curious now what would happen if I were to put more felt inside...

May 13, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #966 of 1,994
I might try to stuff 2 rings of felt into the pads, but I still like the stock sound [minus the stock pads] so Seeing as I'm broke I cant afford to break my w1000x... so I don't want to even try opening them up! 

May 13, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #967 of 1,994
It's pretty foolproof inside. You can't damage the driver because it's inside a plastic cage.

In any case, you don't even need a ring. Just cut a long piece of felt and then stuff it inside the pads. The change in soundstage is very noticeable, but everything else remains the same.

It's more comfy to me, too, since my ears now fit inside the ear pads and still have some room to breath. At stock, they'd touch the cloth layer...

May 13, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #968 of 1,994
Quote:
It's pretty foolproof inside. You can't damage the driver because it's inside a plastic cage.

In any case, you don't even need a ring. Just cut a long piece of felt and then stuff it inside the pads. The change in soundstage is very noticeable, but everything else remains the same.

It's more comfy to me, too, since my ears now fit inside the ear pads and still have some room to breath. At stock, they'd touch the cloth layer...

I hear ya, still I'll get around to it at some point you know lol

May 15, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #969 of 1,994
I just received my W1000X about an hour ago and all I have to say is WOW! These are great headphones for the money. Better than the A900X I received last week although I like them alot too, but the 900 are clearly not as refined.

The 900 is too noisy for use with my Lyr, but the 1000 is just fine. Not sure why that is at this point. Both of them are perfectly quiet with my Asgard.

I have been listening to Donald Fagen, Morph the Cat 24/96 DVD-Audio for the past hour with a Pioneer DV-58AV SACD/DVD-A player hooked by a glass optical cable to an Uber upgraded Bifrost DAC to Asgard 1. Holy smokes does it sound great. I have a good lineup of phones, but to say I am impressed is an understatement. I am not going to rank my phones but will say I am enjoying these immensely right now (top notch imaging) and believe for the money, they are very hard to beat.....they are keepers.

My other phones in no particular order.....HE-500, HE-400, Q701, PS500, T50RP, A900X, D5K, MS2

Amps.....Lyr, Asgard, O2, LD I+, Mk II, Mk III, E17

Source....Bifrost, Logitech Touch, Onkyo and Pioneer SACD/DVD-Audio, Cowon D2+ and J3

May 16, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #970 of 1,994
Quote:
I just received my W1000X about an hour ago and all I have to say is WOW! These are great headphones for the money. Better than the A900X I received last week although I like them alot too, but the 900 are clearly not as refined.

The 900 is too noisy for use with my Lyr, but the 1000 is just fine. Not sure why that is at this point. Both of them are perfectly quiet with my Asgard.

I have been listening to Donald Fagen, Morph the Cat 24/96 DVD-Audio for the past hour with a Pioneer DV-58AV SACD/DVD-A player hooked by a glass optical cable to an Uber upgraded Bifrost DAC to Asgard 1. Holy smokes does it sound great. I have a good lineup of phones, but to say I am impressed is an understatement. I am not going to rank my phones but will say I am enjoying these immensely right now (top notch imaging) and believe for the money, they are very hard to beat.....they are keepers.

My other phones in no particular order.....HE-500, HE-400, Q701, PS500, T50RP, A900X, D5K, MS2

Amps.....Lyr, Asgard, O2, LD I+, Mk II, Mk III, E17

Source....Bifrost, Logitech Touch, Onkyo and Pioneer SACD/DVD-Audio, Cowon D2+ and J3

How do you rank them vs the d5k and the he-400?  I was interested in these for a bit and I'd like someones impressions whos heard the other 2 I've owned/heard.

May 16, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #971 of 1,994
Quote:
How do you rank them vs the d5k and the he-400?  I was interested in these for a bit and I'd like someones impressions whos heard the other 2 I've owned/heard.

I actually own all three of the mentioned, that being said I would have to give the nod to the W1000x for any kind of acoustic/vocal oriented music. The HE-400s are fantastic with Hip hop/dubsteb and the D5ks are just fun, but you can really hear how recessed the mid-range is when you A/B them both with the W1000x. I love the way the W1000x has bright treble without being sibilant. My D5ks are Lawton modded, but still lack the mids that are present in the W1000x. To my ears, the W1000x sounds closer to a closed HD650 then the D5k.

May 16, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #972 of 1,994
Ok, second impressions now, after using the W1000x and LCD-2 interchangeably for the past couple days, some things have changed a little:

First thing, the soundstage and mids and highs of the W1000x's have really grown on me, they're now my permanent bedside listening companions :) That aside, now that I take a more careful listen at them, the lack of transparency does seem to irritate me a little more than I first thought, but the cans are wonderfully fun and rich regardless, and make for a very pleasing headphone to listen to music while reading a book or doing work. The weight makes them easy to forget about too, the only reminder I have that shows they're on my head would be the slight warmth of the headphones from the pleather, and maybe that aforementioned lack of transparency, the music doesn't "appear" and just surrounds you, I always feel like I'm in the middle of a small sized hall listening to my tunes, which is pretty good for some types of music, so that's quite a plus and minus I guess :) 

I still do love the LCD-2's sound, I was really starting to take it's amazing clarity and transparency for granted, and the W1000x's really help me to appreciate them more, and at the same time I've learnt to enjoy the W1000x's sound, they're gonna be with me for a long time :) 

So to anyone thinking of jumping on a set of $300-400 cans, I do consider the W1000x a serious competitor to the likes of the HD650/00, or Beyers :)

Final note though, I've also come find out that out of most solid state amps the W1000x's will get a bit harsh in the highs, but a little EQ usually fixes this for me, but for the type that doesn't enjoy EQ it may be a bit of a drawback. 

May 16, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #973 of 1,994
Quote:
Ok, second impressions now, after using the W1000x and LCD-2 interchangeably for the past couple days, some things have changed a little:

First thing, the soundstage and mids and highs of the W1000x's have really grown on me, they're now my permanent bedside listening companions :) That aside, now that I take a more careful listen at them, the lack of transparency does seem to irritate me a little more than I first thought, but the cans are wonderfully fun and rich regardless, and make for a very pleasing headphone to listen to music while reading a book or doing work. The weight makes them easy to forget about too, the only reminder I have that shows they're on my head would be the slight warmth of the headphones from the pleather, and maybe that aforementioned lack of transparency, the music doesn't "appear" and just surrounds you, I always feel like I'm in the middle of a small sized hall listening to my tunes, which is pretty good for some types of music, so that's quite a plus and minus I guess :) 

I still do love the LCD-2's sound, I was really starting to take it's amazing clarity and transparency for granted, and the W1000x's really help me to appreciate them more, and at the same time I've learnt to enjoy the W1000x's sound, they're gonna be with me for a long time :) 

So to anyone thinking of jumping on a set of $300-400 cans, I do consider the W1000x a serious competitor to the likes of the HD650/00, or Beyers :)

Final note though, I've also come find out that out of most solid state amps the W1000x's will get a bit harsh in the highs, but a little EQ usually fixes this for me, but for the type that doesn't enjoy EQ it may be a bit of a drawback. 

I use my W1000x with a hybrid tube and a clear top RCA, epic combo imo.

On a positive note I have to sell my dt 880s... which means I'm going to mod my w1000x to get them cleaner. They are a closed 880 variant in terms of sound, but since I won't have my 880 to compliment them well they need to be cleaner! Which is fine because I have thick and thin tubes so if the mids get a little to thin for me, I can fatten em up. But I don't think that will be an issue 

May 16, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #975 of 1,994
Quote:
They don't get "thinner" when you mod them, though.

Just "cleaner" and more "transparent".

Good, I would think that the damping would reomove some of the resonnance, but good idea what kind of material should I buy to to dapmpen with? Amazon links any one! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back