ATH-W1000X Thread!
May 8, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #931 of 1,994
Quote:
Is the t5p open or closed? I would think it's semi or fully open, there fore a comparrision would be a little unfair, as open cans always sound better than closed. Non the less the sound signitures might be simillar! My w1000x reminds of me of my dt 880s. Bright highs, good detail. Although the dt 880 has a tighter deeper lower end, and the w1000x has a brighter airy upper mid end. So they are both great cans, although I try not to compare them. [The dt 880 has better highs because it's open, but the w1000x has better upper and central mids. And amazingly, the Dt 880 on my Matrix  M Stage solid state has a NICE lower mid. I use a L4990 opAmp. A clean Lean op amp, not the stock warm one] 

I have to question what closed HP's you have listened to/owned. I have some pretty good sounding closed cans in my collection, D7/5k, Mad Dogs, W1000x and have auditioned the TH-900, all of them sounding fantastic with the TH-900 probably being one of the best HPs I have ever heard.

May 8, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #932 of 1,994
Well, I finally got my W3000ANVs guys.

The good news (for this thread) is that the W1000X still hold their own -- they have their own unique magic about them that listening to the W3000ANV hasn't compromised in any way. In other words, the W3000ANV is absolutely not "a better W1000X." For example, the W1000X would be the headphone I'd use to wow friends.

The bad news (for me) is that I'll probably be letting go of the W1000X anyway, for purely financial reasons.

And no, I don't think the W3000ANV is worth 3x the price of the W1000X, even though it is certainly one of the best headphones I have ever had the pleasure of listening to.

May 8, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #933 of 1,994
Quote:

I have to question what closed HP's you have listened to/owned. I have some pretty good sounding closed cans in my collection, D7/5k, Mad Dogs, W1000x and have auditioned the TH-900, all of them sounding fantastic with the TH-900 probably being one of the best HPs I have ever heard.

I pretty much agree with Mshenay and have heard the D5000, W1000X and Mad Dogs.  Open equivalents at each price range are better.

May 8, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #935 of 1,994
Quote:
What are the better-sounding open equivalents (that aren't orthodynamics)? I vastly preferred the W1000X to the HD 650s.

Your parenthetical really limits my answer. :wink:  I didn't get a ton of time with the Mad Dogs, but I'd say the DT880 and the AKG K702 65th Annies are better and cost a little bit more (AKG) or a little bit less (DT880 like-new from b/s forum).  I do think the W1000X are a great buy at $350 but don't think they're worth it at $500+.  Since I can't name the HE500 or HE400, I'd have to say that no open cans probably sound as good as the W1000X at $350-$500.  However, I don't have a ton of experience with the HD600/650, and keep in mind that I haven't heard any pads other than the stock pads on the W1000X.    

May 8, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #936 of 1,994
Inspired by what I read in the ATH-A900X thread here, where someone had replaced the stock pads with Alpha Pads, I decided to look at replacing the stock W1000X pads with something I had handy from a never-started T50RP mod:  A pair of Shure SRH840 replacement pads (Model HPAEC840).  The Shure pads are oval, so the fit is a bit snug, and the lip of the pads just barely make it across the wide part of the back cup.  On the front, they stretch back some, but the fit is otherwise good.  They are definitely more comfortable than the stock pads. 

Now onto the sound:  Like the JMoney pads others have talked about here, the Shure pads make the W1000X a bass monster.  The thing I notice most is the extension -- they definitely seal better for me, and the bass feels as if it goes lower.  That is good for me, because I was EQing them up to get the lowest register.  The midbass is as prominent as ever, and with the low bass extension, they become a bass-heavy can.   The mids and highs are still there as before, so I would not call the sound dark, but it is definitely warm.  The midbass can be tamed somewhat by a little reduction there, say -3dB at 125Hz and -1.5dB at 64Hz  where the bass hump in the W1000X response lies. 

The great things about the Shure pads is that you can find them new, and they're cheap ($15 at amazon).  

With the Shure pads, the W1000X hits a sweet spot for me, as they have a perfect sonic balance for late night listening.  I think I can put off lusting after a pair of LCD2s now...

May 8, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #937 of 1,994
Quote:
Your parenthetical really limits my answer. :wink:  I didn't get a ton of time with the Mad Dogs, but I'd say the DT880 and the AKG K702 65th Annies are better and cost a little bit more (AKG) or a little bit less (DT880 like-new from b/s forum).  I do think the W1000X are a great buy at $350 but don't think they're worth it at $500+.  Since I can't name the HE500 or HE400, I'd have to say that no open cans probably sound as good as the W1000X at $350-$500.  However, I don't have a ton of experience with the HD600/650, and keep in mind that I haven't heard any pads other than the stock pads on the W1000X.    

Yea that sums up my experince as well, I had the Mad Dogs and I wasn't impressed with them. For the Price my dt 990s and 880s sound better. And I paid $300 for my w1000x and $100 for the pads, and they are most certianly worth it! 

Although I've not heard the upper hifi cans like the d7k or any of the High end Fostex. But for some one who prefers neutral over colored, open cans tend to be more neutral and have better sound stage due to the lack of well enclousure. That being said I still love my w1000x.

May 9, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #938 of 1,994
Mmm... I had the chance to intimately demo the Schiit Magni and Modi stack today with both my W1000X and ES10.

The DAC was quite good, but the amp would need some improvements in order to best my Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II. But at least it did better with ES10 than with W1000X.

The UHA-6S gives the W1000X a bit more micro details, speed, transparency, soundstage, and cleanliness.

May 9, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #939 of 1,994
New and proud owner of a pair of these wonderful cans, and I have to say that the W1000x's really hit above their weight class so to speak, as someone who uses the LCD-2 and Heir 8.A on a regular basis, and has previously owned the HD650s for quite a long while (my first hi-fi cans) the W1000x's are really something special. Here's a short little comparison for you guys :)

There's just something about the way it renders 3D sound stages beautifully, better than the LCD-2 by a long shot in this regard. the imaging is perfect and very very surreal, if you enjoy live recordings this is a BIG plus. They have some amazing bass, doesn't reach as low as the LCD-2s or my 8As, but a very satisfying mid bass punch to it. The best thing about these have to be the amazing, smooth treble, that goes all the way up but doesn't seem to ever fatigue, makes for listening to female vocals particularly pleasing, better than the LCD-2 with female vocals, though the transparency is a bit of an issue with some albums, you can tell they're coming out of headphones, not really like the "out of nowhere" transparency of the LCD-2s. But still, better at female vocals, while the LCD-2 takes the cake with the timbre of male vocals, Michael Buble just isn't as amazing on my W1000x's as on the LCD-2s :)

Oh and comfort-wise their probably better for most people, though I'm one of the few freaks that find the LCD-2s comfy as all hell, but for most the lightweight W1000x make for more comfy listening sessions. The only big downside I guess would be the fact that it's not a particularly speedy or transparent phone, though I rarely listen to music that really makes the lack of transient response very apparent, though the transparency does irk me for a few minutes after swapping between my 8.As or LCD-2s to the W1000x's.

Compared to the HD650's, at least from my memory, was that the bass, mids, treble and soundstage were all more impressive on the W1000x's, and more comfy too :) I did have a crappier amp at the time and I'm sure with the scaling of the 650s on better gear maybe they'd sound better, but on a budget, without an amp and for about $350 on the market, the W1000x's would be my go to choice, no questions asked.

I think it's a bit hard to compare the W1000x's to my 8.As, given the nature of IEMs and headphones differ in so many ways, but I would say in all aspects but soundstage are the 8.As superior, but then again I find them to be my perfect sound, so... :p

Overall an amazing pair of phones, definitely better than the HD650's and competes heavily with my LCD-2s for head time, now they're by bedside listening headphones, and I'm loving them :) Hope this helps with anyone who's considering either the LCD-2 or 650 over the W1000x, cheers!

May 9, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #940 of 1,994
Thank you guys for the impressions, they are truely helpful.

One question though, for those who paid $350, are those for a used pair ? I am in a overseas country outside USA, if anyone know of a dealer carry the W1000X for less than $400 and willing to ship overseas please let me know.

May 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #941 of 1,994
You may want to check the "For sale" section, I got my pair for $360~, and I would gladly pay more :) I live outside of the US as well, just communicate with the seller that you want to ship internationally, though you'll almost always end up paying quite a bit for shipping.

May 9, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #942 of 1,994
Quote:
New and proud owner of a pair of these wonderful cans, and I have to say that the W1000x's really hit above their weight class so to speak, as someone who uses the LCD-2 and Heir 8.A on a regular basis, and has previously owned the HD650s for quite a long while (my first hi-fi cans) the W1000x's are really something special. Here's a short little comparison for you guys :)

There's just something about the way it renders 3D sound stages beautifully, better than the LCD-2 by a long shot in this regard. the imaging is perfect and very very surreal, if you enjoy live recordings this is a BIG plus. They have some amazing bass, doesn't reach as low as the LCD-2s or my 8As, but a very satisfying mid bass punch to it. The best thing about these have to be the amazing, smooth treble, that goes all the way up but doesn't seem to ever fatigue, makes for listening to female vocals particularly pleasing, better than the LCD-2 with female vocals, though the transparency is a bit of an issue with some albums, you can tell they're coming out of headphones, not really like the "out of nowhere" transparency of the LCD-2s. But still, better at female vocals, while the LCD-2 takes the cake with the timbre of male vocals, Michael Buble just isn't as amazing on my W1000x's as on the LCD-2s :)

Oh and comfort-wise their probably better for most people, though I'm one of the few freaks that find the LCD-2s comfy as all hell, but for most the lightweight W1000x make for more comfy listening sessions. The only big downside I guess would be the fact that it's not a particularly speedy or transparent phone, though I rarely listen to music that really makes the lack of transient response very apparent, though the transparency does irk me for a few minutes after swapping between my 8.As or LCD-2s to the W1000x's.

Compared to the HD650's, at least from my memory, was that the bass, mids, treble and soundstage were all more impressive on the W1000x's, and more comfy too :) I did have a crappier amp at the time and I'm sure with the scaling of the 650s on better gear maybe they'd sound better, but on a budget, without an amp and for about $350 on the market, the W1000x's would be my go to choice, no questions asked.

I think it's a bit hard to compare the W1000x's to my 8.As, given the nature of IEMs and headphones differ in so many ways, but I would say in all aspects but soundstage are the 8.As superior, but then again I find them to be my perfect sound, so... :p

Overall an amazing pair of phones, definitely better than the HD650's and competes heavily with my LCD-2s for head time, now they're by bedside listening headphones, and I'm loving them :) Hope this helps with anyone who's considering either the LCD-2 or 650 over the W1000x, cheers!

Great write-up, my sentiments exactly. The W1000x gets much more head time in my arsenal then the LCD-2, the 650 and the HE-500(those were the major players until I bought these).

May 9, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #943 of 1,994
Quote:
Well, I finally got my W3000ANVs guys.

The good news (for this thread) is that the W1000X still hold their own -- they have their own unique magic about them that listening to the W3000ANV hasn't compromised in any way. In other words, the W3000ANV is absolutely not "a better W1000X." For example, the W1000X would be the headphone I'd use to wow friends.

The bad news (for me) is that I'll probably be letting go of the W1000X anyway, for purely financial reasons.

And no, I don't think the W3000ANV is worth 3x the price of the W1000X, even though it is certainly one of the best headphones I have ever had the pleasure of listening to.

Please throw up some pics when you get time, love your natural camera and those are gorgeous cans.

May 11, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #944 of 1,994
Quote:
Is the t5p open or closed? I would think it's semi or fully open, there fore a comparrision would be a little unfair, as open cans always sound better than closed. Non the less the sound signitures might be simillar! My w1000x reminds of me of my dt 880s. Bright highs, good detail. Although the dt 880 has a tighter deeper lower end, and the w1000x has a brighter airy upper mid end. So they are both great cans, although I try not to compare them. [The dt 880 has better highs because it's open, but the w1000x has better upper and central mids. And amazingly, the Dt 880 on my Matrix  M Stage solid state has a NICE lower mid. I use a L4990 opAmp. A clean Lean op amp, not the stock warm one] 

Thanks for the reply, Mshenay.

The T5p is closed. It's the equivalent of the T1, but closed and sealed. Thanks for the feedback.

May 11, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #945 of 1,994
After some tweaks, I can now say... W1000X + L3000 ear pads + purrin's mod is almost perfect.

L3000 pads are supremely comfortable. I don't notice the W1000X on my head at all. Some more padding (stuff tissues underneath) gives a bit more distance and space, so it's even more comfy.

purrin's mod helps clean up the wooden resonance inside. Midrange loses a bit of warmth, but in return, everything is tighter, cleaner, and the background becomes a lot darker. Treble doesn't decay as long anymore, and instead of a residual glare, it's just right... almost orthodynamic-like. High volume still has a piercing feel, but it's much less offensive now.

And soundstage is even more expansive since there is not a lot of resonance now.

I'm inclined to get some felt pads and do some more mods (like Anax's HD800 mods) to further reduce that piercing feel, but right now, the W1000X just sounds sooo good that I can't take them off my head!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back