ATH-W1000X Thread!
May 3, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #916 of 1,994
Quote:
Well, what do I know? I wasn't getting a good seal!

After wrestling with the headband for close to an hour, I finally got a perfect seal with the W1000X. And wow, what a difference!

Midrange became thicker, bass became weightier, and treble is no longer intrusive. So I switched the L3000 pads back in, and I'm happy now. There's just a little bit of bass resonance that makes bass less distinct compared to the ES10, but I guess I can do Purrin's mod at any random time to address that.

I can hear a difference between the Leckerton UHA-6S and my various sources again. I thought the amp wasn't up to snuff for the W1000X, but I was sorely mistaken.

Get a thick, short rubber band and put it around the wings, perfect seal every session.

May 3, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #917 of 1,994
Quote:
Get a thick, short rubber band and put it around the wings, perfect seal every session.

I've yet to try that myself, I need to invest in a good rubber band... trying to think which vegatable would have a good rubber band around it lol 

May 3, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #918 of 1,994
Quote:

You mean tie the wings together?

I just tried that. Way too much clamping force... and then it became less comfortable.

I have bent the headband so that the earcups just barely hug the outside of my ears without digging in. It's so comfy now that I can chew on snacks while wearing the W1000X without feeling anything at all.

May 4, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #919 of 1,994
Quote:

You mean tie the wings together?

I just tried that. Way too much clamping force... and then it became less comfortable.

I have bent the headband so that the earcups just barely hug the outside of my ears without digging in. It's so comfy now that I can chew on snacks while wearing the W1000X without feeling anything at all.

nice It is amazinly weighless when it's ficed right. U forget how heavy they really are! 

May 4, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #920 of 1,994
Got some JMoney pads. I don't like what they do to the w1000x. They become bass monsters in a bad way. Sound becomes muddy, distant and too dark. And they're so thick that the top of the pads push hard against my head while the bottoms stay open instead of sitting flatly. Interested in the L3000 pads but they cost a bit more than I'm willing to pay. Love the sound of these phones, just wish they weren't made by AT so they didn't have these wings or pads.

May 5, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #921 of 1,994
Quote:
Got some JMoney pads. I don't like what they do to the w1000x. They become bass monsters in a bad way. Sound becomes muddy, distant and too dark. And they're so thick that the top of the pads push hard against my head while the bottoms stay open instead of sitting flatly. Interested in the L3000 pads but they cost a bit more than I'm willing to pay. Love the sound of these phones, just wish they weren't made by AT so they didn't have these wings or pads.

Well we all hear different, I found the exact opposite to be true. The fit is better for my head, the highs balance out with the sultry mids and the bottom end sounds much more refined.

May 5, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #922 of 1,994
Quote:
Well we all hear different, I found the exact opposite to be true. The fit is better for my head, the highs balance out with the sultry mids and the bottom end sounds much more refined.

yeap, I like teh L3000 and Fear likes the J$, I've not tried the J$ and I might not... I like the L3000 and see no reaseon to spend more money if I already enjoy they cans! Still you might be able to trade you Pads. Some one might have had the oppisite experince u did, hated the L3000 and wanted to try the J$ 

May 5, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #923 of 1,994
Quote:

I agree. I wouldn't have arrived to this perfect sound without your advice regarding the J$, L3000 and even LCD-2 and O2 pads.

May 5, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #924 of 1,994
Hmm... I'm getting interesting results by stuffing clothes and foam underneath the L3000 ear pads.

Most immediate change is how much larger soundstage becomes, and how much more isolation there is.

And it seems I can influence the hot treble emphasis by doing this as well. Upper mid and lower treble definitely become less fatiguing, and in return, I'm starting to hear more details inside the "hot" treble regions.

But the downside is that bass sounds bloated, and in some songs, lower midrange becomes overly warm.

And by "bloated", I really mean... OMG BASS kind of "bloated". It's insane just how much bass these drivers can push out.

Now if only I can dampen that in some way...

May 5, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #925 of 1,994
Quote:
Hmm... I'm getting interesting results by stuffing clothes and foam underneath the L3000 ear pads.

Most immediate change is how much larger soundstage becomes, and how much more isolation there is.

And it seems I can influence the hot treble emphasis by doing this as well. Upper mid and lower treble definitely become less fatiguing, and in return, I'm starting to hear more details inside the "hot" treble regions.

But the downside is that bass sounds bloated, and in some songs, lower midrange becomes overly warm.

And by "bloated", I really mean... OMG BASS kind of "bloated". It's insane just how much bass these drivers can push out.

Now if only I can dampen that in some way...

there is a mod that does just that. I don't have the link but try googling Ath w1000x mods and see what you get. I remember some one p[utting dampening material inside the cup walls and getting a tighter sound! 

I happen to like the treble... atlhough this is coming from some one who eq's his dt 990s to have more treble lol [since the extra bass eq drowns out those nice highs! ]

May 5, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #926 of 1,994
Quote:
there is a mod that does just that. I don't have the link but try googling Ath w1000x mods and see what you get. I remember some one p[utting dampening material inside the cup walls and getting a tighter sound! 

I happen to like the treble... atlhough this is coming from some one who eq's his dt 990s to have more treble lol [since the extra bass eq drowns out those nice highs! ]

It is Purrin's mod and I recommend it highly, takes about 5 minutes and is reversible in about a minute....Improves the bass bloat and response about 40%, I reversed it just to hear the difference and it is very significant. This mod and the J-money pads and these get more headtime then all my other cans.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/544507/ath-w1000x-mods

May 8, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #929 of 1,994
Has anyone compared these to the T5p? Interested in the comparison between soundstage, mids, treble and comfort.

Thanks in advance.

May 8, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #930 of 1,994
Quote:
Has anyone compared these to the T5p? Interested in the comparison between soundstage, mids, treble and comfort.

Thanks in advance.

Is the t5p open or closed? I would think it's semi or fully open, there fore a comparrision would be a little unfair, as open cans always sound better than closed. Non the less the sound signitures might be simillar! My w1000x reminds of me of my dt 880s. Bright highs, good detail. Although the dt 880 has a tighter deeper lower end, and the w1000x has a brighter airy upper mid end. So they are both great cans, although I try not to compare them. [The dt 880 has better highs because it's open, but the w1000x has better upper and central mids. And amazingly, the Dt 880 on my Matrix  M Stage solid state has a NICE lower mid. I use a L4990 opAmp. A clean Lean op amp, not the stock warm one] 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back