ATH-W1000X Thread!
May 11, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #946 of 1,994
Quote:
After some tweaks, I can now say... W1000X + L3000 ear pads + purrin's mod is almost perfect.

L3000 pads are supremely comfortable. I don't notice the W1000X on my head at all. Some more padding (stuff tissues underneath) gives a bit more distance and space, so it's even more comfy.

purrin's mod helps clean up the wooden resonance inside. Midrange loses a bit of warmth, but in return, everything is tighter, cleaner, and the background becomes a lot darker. Treble doesn't decay as long anymore, and instead of a residual glare, it's just right... almost orthodynamic-like. High volume still has a piercing feel, but it's much less offensive now.

And soundstage is even more expansive since there is not a lot of resonance now.

I'm inclined to get some felt pads and do some more mods (like Anax's HD800 mods) to further reduce that piercing feel, but right now, the W1000X just sounds sooo good that I can't take them off my head!

DARK BACK GROUND, thank gawd I didn't do that mod. I like the decay in the treble as I LOVE the bright sound

On a sad note I might have to sell mine to pay rent this month >.> gonna try and sell EVERYTHING elese I own first! 

May 11, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #947 of 1,994
Hm... maybe I used the wrong term?

I meant "dark" background as in... I don't hear residual echoes or anything of the sort anymore. It's just superbly clean. The "bright" sound of the W1000X still remains.

Actually, I opened up the cups again just now and went "overboard" with the mod because I really didn't like the piercing sound, and... voila. Sibilance and piercing completely gone now.

Soundstage has also opened up a lot more, too, and instrument separation is a lot more distinct.

It's crazy... but as soon as I opened the W1000X up, I already saw how it wasn't properly dampened. But I didn't think putting some dampening pads on could have such an effect.

Edit: Yep. This is absolutely perfect now! No more padding needed. So I guess L3000 pads + purrin's mod (a bit overboard) is all that it took to achieve this much for me.

The overall sound is leaner and meaner but still retaining the smoothness and seductive Audio Technica house sound. This is just way too awesome!

Funny thing: after purrin's mod, it was exactly how I remember the W3000ANV to sound like (minus a bit of treble), but after I went overboard, it was more reminiscent of the HE-500...

Edit 2: Yep... definitely more orthodynamic-like. Super tight bass, super clean midrange, and sparkling airy treble that contains no hint of sibilance whatsoever.

And it's obviously different from a headphone with recessed upper midrange, too. It's hard to describe, but it's just not so glaring anymore.

May 11, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #948 of 1,994
Quote:
Hm... maybe I used the wrong term?

I meant "dark" background as in... I don't hear residual echoes or anything of the sort anymore. It's just superbly clean. The "bright" sound of the W1000X still remains.

Actually, I opened up the cups again just now and went "overboard" with the mod because I really didn't like the piercing sound, and... voila. Sibilance and piercing completely gone now.

Soundstage has also opened up a lot more, too, and instrument separation is a lot more distinct.

It's crazy... but as soon as I opened the W1000X up, I already saw how it wasn't properly dampened. But I didn't think putting some dampening pads on could have such an effect.

Edit: Yep. This is absolutely perfect now! No more padding needed. So I guess L3000 pads + purrin's mod (a bit overboard) is all that it took to achieve this much for me.

The overall sound is leaner and meaner but still retaining the smoothness and seductive Audio Technica house sound. This is just way too awesome!

Funny thing: after purrin's mod, it was exactly how I remember the W3000ANV to sound like (minus a bit of treble), but after I went overboard, it was more reminiscent of the HE-500...

Edit 2: Yep... definitely more orthodynamic-like. Super tight bass, super clean midrange, and sparkling airy treble that contains no hint of sibilance whatsoever.

And it's obviously different from a headphone with recessed upper midrange, too. It's hard to describe, but it's just not so glaring anymore.

I might dampen it slighty one day, but for now not even sure if I'm going ot be able to keep these... rent is due and im jobless >.> 

May 11, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #949 of 1,994
Ouch... Sorry to hear.

I'm not in the same situation, so the following should be taken with a healthy grain of salt.

But I think... if you really like them, you should keep them, and try to push everything else away instead. From my experience, a good headphone that suits your preference is really hard to find. Some people have to EQ to even get there.

Once you find a job later on, and you've settled down, and you want to go find the same sound again, it may be a lot harder than you think.

But having said all that, if you have to starve in order to keep them, then in that case, they're not really worth it anymore. And who knows, maybe Audio Technica will release a successor to the W1000X sometime in the future... and maybe it'll sound better...

May 11, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #950 of 1,994
Quote:

Interesting, the W1000X and W3000ANV sounded quite far apart to me in terms of the basic sound signature. I'm pining for the W1000X's standard sound signature with the level of refinement and precision of the W3K (W5000X someday?).

May 11, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #951 of 1,994
Quote:
Interesting, the W1000X and W3000ANV sounded quite far apart to me in terms of the basic sound signature. I'm pining for the W1000X's standard sound signature with the level of refinement and precision of the W3K (W5000X someday?).

I agree. If I recall correctly, the W3000ANV sounded slightly darker but cleaner. At stock, the W1000X definitely wouldn't be able to hold a candle to the W3000ANV by any stretch of imagination.

But I'm not kidding. The results of purrin's mod is quite a huge change in technicality for the W1000X. It's a lot cleaner across the board after the mod. If you haven't done the mod to your W1000X yet, I'd highly recommended it.

It doesn't change the sound signature. It just "tightens" up the sound. Significantly so.

May 11, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #952 of 1,994
Quote:
After some tweaks, I can now say... W1000X + L3000 ear pads + purrin's mod is almost perfect.

L3000 pads are supremely comfortable. I don't notice the W1000X on my head at all. Some more padding (stuff tissues underneath) gives a bit more distance and space, so it's even more comfy.

purrin's mod helps clean up the wooden resonance inside. Midrange loses a bit of warmth, but in return, everything is tighter, cleaner, and the background becomes a lot darker. Treble doesn't decay as long anymore, and instead of a residual glare, it's just right... almost orthodynamic-like. High volume still has a piercing feel, but it's much less offensive now.

And soundstage is even more expansive since there is not a lot of resonance now.

I'm inclined to get some felt pads and do some more mods (like Anax's HD800 mods) to further reduce that piercing feel, but right now, the W1000X just sounds sooo good that I can't take them off my head!

Just finished doing purrin's mod ghetto style with blu-tac instead of dynamat, and I've got to say that it really does make a good difference, I'd definitely recommend people to try this out, especially since if you don't like it you can just reverse it no problem :)
The bass is noticeably tighter, and the resonance is toned down quite a touch, making for a much tighter coherent sound, +1 to this!

May 11, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #954 of 1,994
Yeah...

Without the mod, songs like this would be painful to listen to...

It was a torture from start to finish before the mod. The W1000X is now officially the only bright headphone I have ever heard that doesn't kill my ears with that song.

May 12, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #955 of 1,994
Quote:
Please throw up some pics when you get time, love your natural camera and those are gorgeous cans.

I wish I could do better, but the W3000ANVs are horrifically temperamental to dust collection, fingerprints and micro-scratching. The duality of the problem is that they are dust magnets and dust scratches the lacquer finish..

The little mark in the outer circle of the ATH logo is actually a tiny scratch.
frown.gif

The W1000X are far, far easier to maintain. There is a gulf of difference in durability; the W1000X's coat is actually resilient to everyday handling (and dust). I might just get the W3000ANVs retouched in a couple of years by a professional, although currently the few hairline scratches aren't really visible to the naked eye.

Funnily enough, about 2 months ago I had the A900X. About a month ago I was jamming with the W1000X. Today, W3000ANV. When I joined head-fi my first headphones were the ES7s. Slippery slope, I guess...

Anyway, I didn't bother with the dampening on the W1000X's because their slow decay is actually magical with the nu-jazz I listen to. I could tell it wasn't so much of the performer in metal or faster rock, though.

May 12, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #956 of 1,994
Quote:
I wish I could do better, but the W3000ANVs are horrifically temperamental to dust collection, fingerprints and micro-scratching. The duality of the problem is that they are dust magnets and dust scratches the lacquer finish..

The little mark in the outer circle of the ATH logo is actually a tiny scratch.
frown.gif

The W1000X are far, far easier to maintain. There is a gulf of difference in durability; the W1000X's coat is actually resilient to everyday handling (and dust). I might just get the W3000ANVs retouched in a couple of years by a professional, although currently the few hairline scratches aren't really visible to the naked eye.

Funnily enough, about 2 months ago I had the A900X. About a month ago I was jamming with the W1000X. Today, W3000ANV. When I joined head-fi my first headphones were the ES7s. Slippery slope, I guess...

Anyway, I didn't bother with the dampening on the W1000X's because their slow decay is actually magical with the nu-jazz I listen to. I could tell it wasn't so much of the performer in metal or faster rock, though.

Very nice!

May 12, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #957 of 1,994
Quote:
Yeah...

Without the mod, songs like this would be painful to listen to...

It was a torture from start to finish before the mod. The W1000X is now officially the only bright headphone I have ever heard that doesn't kill my ears with that song.

Terrible song, but... it doesn't sound harsh or bright at all. It might not be the cans might be another piece of your audio chain? What's your set up. Heck I'm using my SOLID state and it still doesn't sound overly bright! I'll admit it's brighter than my dt 880 but I still don't think it's TO bright... sorry to hear they are overly bright for you! 

May 12, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #958 of 1,994
God... I'm such a midrange-head... (note bass and treble knobs)

Now I understand why the W1000X came with a 1/4 jack by default...

Terrible song, but... it doesn't sound harsh or bright at all. It might not be the cans might be another piece of your audio chain? What's your set up. Heck I'm using my SOLID state and it still doesn't sound overly bright! I'll admit it's brighter than my dt 880 but I still don't think it's TO bright... sorry to hear they are overly bright for you! 

It was bright out of the UHA-6S Mk.II.

I guess I'm just super sensitive to treble glares. I ultimately sold my DT880 because I couldn't cope with it. It also doesn't help that my listening level is quite high... 

Anyway, I think I've found the right amp for the W1000X for cheap (see above). Actually, I didn't even have to pay for it since my dad happened to have one lying around.

Side note: despite all that, I didn't enjoy Mr. Speaker's Mad Dog when I got to demo them. They were super dark to me.

Side note 2: oh yeah, and the song is horrible. No doubt about it. I just keep it around as a benchmark for sibilance. I have other songs to test for sibilance, but that one is the easiest... (for obvious reasons)

May 12, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #959 of 1,994
And honestly I'm going to be alright! I've got a GREAT job interview for my Local Geek Squad, so my first pay check should cover me. In addition I'm selling a Copy of Xenoblade Chronicles on ebay for $40+ dollars! 2 days into and I've already got 10 watchers... and they are bidding aggressivly! So things worked out for me thankfully, got to keep my beloved w1000x and learned I don't like my Xb 700s any more xD 

Which is great because I really like this can >.>

and yea it's not to bright for me :O 

May 12, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #960 of 1,994
Quote:
God... I'm such a midrange-head... (note bass and treble knobs)

Now I understand why the W1000X came with a 1/4 jack by default...

It was bright out of the UHA-6S Mk.II.

I guess I'm just super sensitive to treble glares. I ultimately sold my DT880 because I couldn't cope with it. It also doesn't help that my listening level is quite high... 

Anyway, I think I've found the right amp for the W1000X for cheap (see above). Actually, I didn't even have to pay for it since my dad happened to have one lying around.

Side note: despite all that, I didn't enjoy Mr. Speaker's Mad Dog when I got to demo them. They were super dark to me.

Side note 2: oh yeah, and the song is horrible. No doubt about it. I just keep it around as a benchmark for sibilance. I have other songs to test for sibilance, but that one is the easiest... (for obvious reasons)

No no no, this is a better one

Just heard it in the EDM thread and... wow CRAP THAT's FREAKIN BRIGHT... SHEESH. Yea I was using my TUBE at that I still have a freaking head ache from that <.<. Still that's one crappy youtube quality upload so a true blue Flac would not have that horrible peaky treble. Non the less I can see how the mod is desired! I might get around to it one day [but only a LITTLE dampning <3] And NO opening of the cans lol, that would defeat the pourpose of owning them as they do some what isolate... kinda lol 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back