Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 30, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #3,706 of 9,207

Quote:
I'm a hair trigger away from ordering a Balancing Act with KR-PX4 tubes for my LCD-2... Someone talk me out of it before it's too late!

JUMP! JUMP! JUMP! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #3,707 of 9,207
This is true! I don't know what came over me! This place is murder on the checkbook.

I am hoping for something extra special out of the Balancing Act, but I suppose we'll see soon enough.

I like the idea of being able to roll drivers to find exactly what I'm looking for. With any luck, I'll be able to find something that has a touch more warmth, which is what I'm looking to achieve.

Thanks! Kevin (ShinyFalcon) did a nice job putting the whole thing together. If I do sell it, it probably won't be for a few months, after I've had time to carefully compare the two amps.

Quote:
Wrong place for talking you out of any high-end gear
tongue.gif

I need to read thru this thread but is it safe to assume you think you'll get a little extra wow factor from Balancing Act over your already awesome B22.
We're all drooling over that one you have an IC for in the amp for sale thread.  Looks killer.

It's too late! I already have a check made out to Craig, all ready to go for tomorrow. I hope I don't regret this... I ended up going with KR-PX4s and an upgraded Penny & Giles RF15 pot. Craig said this pot is 'every bit as good as the Alps RK50.'

Quote:
JUMP! JUMP! JUMP! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #3,708 of 9,207

Quote:
This is true! I don't know what came over me! This place is murder on the checkbook.

I am hoping for something extra special out of the Balancing Act, but I suppose we'll see soon enough.

I like the idea of being able to roll drivers to find exactly what I'm looking for. With any luck, I'll be able to find something that has a touch more warmth, which is what I'm looking to achieve.

Thanks! Kevin (ShinyFalcon) did a nice job putting the whole thing together. If I do sell it, it probably won't be for a few months, after I've had time to carefully compare the two amps.

It's too late! I already have a check made out to Craig, all ready to go for tomorrow. I hope I don't regret this... I ended up going with KR-PX4s and an upgraded Penny & Giles RF15 pot. Craig said this pot is 'every bit as good as the Alps RK50.'

We definitely need your comparison between the two amps once you get settled in.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #3,709 of 9,207

Quote:
We definitely need your comparison between the two amps once you get settled in.
smily_headphones1.gif

x2. I've heard the LCD-2 rev2 balanced out of a Beta22, but have never had the chance to hear any Eddie Current amp. I hear only good things about them.

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #3,711 of 9,207

Quote:

I've never heard the B22 or the Big Stax Rigs, but what I'm listening to right now sounds really good (Audio Research DAC8 --> Balancing Act --> LCD-2) - I think you'll like it.
 .... and I still haven't tried the PX4's yet... :)

Aug 31, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #3,712 of 9,207

Quote:

You could ping Kingstyles about what tubes he uses in his Balancing Act rig.  He's put in a lot of time and energy into configuring his overall rig, so he may have some good advice on stuff you can look into.

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #3,715 of 9,207

Quote:
I'm in search of a $1K-1.5K tube amp to compliment my SS amp.

I haven't heard it, but check out the Donald North (DNA) Sonnet. Uncle Erik mentioned that it's the only tube amp he likes around the $1k mark.

An amp I *have* heard (and owned) is the WA6SE, which was excellent with the HD600 and HD800. I didn't get a chance to try it with the LCD-2 though unfortunately.

Sep 1, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #3,717 of 9,207

Quote:
For the LCD-2 the Decware mini-torii is pretty solid on the upper end of that price range.

I have my eye on the Mini Torii.  I like it for a small speaker amp also, and the lifetime warranty.  May be too many tubes for me though.  Not sure.
I like the Woo WA2 and the Woo SE6.
The Svetlana 2.
The Lyr, and waiting to see what Schiit comes out with.

The mentioned  (DNA) Sonnet might be on the list.  Has anyone heard it with the LCD's?

Sep 1, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #3,718 of 9,207
This is easy! I just auditioned the Audeze with the E.A.R. HP4 Valve Headphone Amplifier by Tim de Paravicini. Superb. The HP4 powered the phones sublimely and cleanly like no other headphone amp could do. The audeze will never be neutral, ultra detailed cans for the recording enthusiast. Instead, they are as emotional and luxurious as they come. They are a thrill ride at Six Flags on your head. The HP4 will yield maximum control but not dry them out. The HP4 will make sense of their rather splashy output and focus their imaging as good as they will get. The HP 4 was designed for the perfectionist with no discernable flaws...either sonic or ergonomics. Tube rolling is a joy and you can maximize to your taste and to your cans. The HP4 / Audeze combo is special and spectacular. If this is your choice of cans, look no further than the HP4. If not, then you might really hear what the HP4 can do with real sounding cans that are neutral and highly detailed...

Sep 1, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #3,719 of 9,207
WA I ordered the MiniTorii's brother, the Taboo (with VCaps) a week ago. I imagine I have another 5 weeks or so wait with shipping to New Zealand factored in. I'll certainly post impressions if you're still deciding at that time (or even if you're not
normal_smile .gif
). Taboo has a manageable 4 tubes and the same output power as the Lyr. Like the MT, it will drive speakers too. It does apparently need 3-4V input for best dynamics (my MiniMax DAC does 3V which should suffice). You can order/install a higher gain driver tube option in lieu of a pre-amp if necessary, although based on the Taboo thread the standard tube could be fine.

Sep 1, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #3,720 of 9,207

Quote:
I haven't heard it, but check out the Donald North (DNA) Sonnet. Uncle Erik mentioned that it's the only tube amp he likes around the $1k mark.

An amp I *have* heard (and owned) is the WA6SE, which was excellent with the HD600 and HD800. I didn't get a chance to try it with the LCD-2 though unfortunately.

From my recollection the DNA was recommended for the HD800, which it pairs well with.  I have heard people (and possibly Donald North himself) say that it does not pair well with the LCD-2s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back