Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Sep 1, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #3,721 of 9,207

Quote: Red Wine Audio

What happens when you take an Isabellina HPA LFP-V Edition, remove Isabellina dac, and put it in a smaller (10" x 6" x 3") enclosure - offered with our single-ended or new balanced headphone output stage? 12Vdc output option for Wadia iTransports, Pure i20s, etc.? Did I mention at a MUCH LOWER PRICE - with all the LiFePO4 battery and LFP-V tube stage goodness? Customers have been asking for this for a long time, and next month, it will happen!

Is this thing worth anticipating?

Sep 1, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #3,722 of 9,207
I have one on loan for review, should start to have some comments by early next week.

Sep 1, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #3,725 of 9,207
Has anyone tried the Cary SLI-80 Signature Integrated with the LCD-2s.
There's a used one available locally and therefore any inputs would be welcome.

Existing inventory for your reference :

Headphones : LCD-2 r1/HD800/PS1000/GS1000i/RS1i
Amps : Woo WA22/ Schiit Lyr/ Headroom Ultra/ Denon PMA 250SE
Source/DACs : Olive 6HD Music server/MHDT Havana Balanced/ Cambridge 840 CDP

(Headphones in the near future : HE-6, LA 7000, Thunderpants.)
Thanks in advance

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #3,727 of 9,207

Quote:
@ WA, I haven't seen a price quoted. Anyone know how much juice the Isabellina HPA LFP-V Edition pumps into the LCD-2?

Hi olor1n,

To avoid confusion:

Skylab is reviewing the Audeze Edition Headphone amp/dac combo listed here:

http://redwineaudio.com/components/audeze_edition

Steve Guttenberg will also be reviewing this combo for innerfidelity.com next (followed by other reviewers) but Alex
of Audeze and I wanted to give first dibs to Skylab, as he has a lot of experience with reviewing so many dacs and amps,
and knows the LCD-2s very well.

We also have the Isabella HPA, which can be configured with the same balanced output stage:

http://redwineaudio.com/components/isabellina_hpa

But what I posted on the Red Wine Audio Facebook page (that you linked to above) is a new product that is going to be out at the end of this month, called the Red Wine Audio "Corvina."

The "Corvina" headphone amp is essentially the Isabellina HPA LFP-V Edition, but without the dac or remote option for the volume control.  The enclosure is also smaller (10" x 6" x 3.5" instead of 12" x 9" x 3.5").   It will have two analog inputs.

Pricing will be $1000 (single-ended output), $1500 (balanced output), and add $100 for the 12Vdc output jack to power other components.

Like the Audeze Edition and Isabellina HPA, the Corvina will use the same internal 25.6V LiFePO4 battery pack, our Tube stage, SMART board, and even the same singled ended stage (or Balanced output stage as an option).

http://redwineaudio.com/components/#tube_stage

The discrete, balanced output stage (as used in the Audeze Edition, and Isabellina HPA when ordered with the balanced output) has a 4-pin XLR output jack (Neutrik, gold pins) and delivers a clean 5Wrms into 32-ohm (10Wrms into 16-ohm).  

Feel free to email me if you have any questions, as I don't check up on this long (but awesome) LCD-2 thread on headfi that often.

Happy listening,

Vinnie

PS: For September (which would be a pre-order period for the Corvina), we will be posting details on how to get 10% off any Red Wine Audio product.  This will already apply for Red Wine Audio customers, and for new customers who join our facebook page and/or email list.  Again, email me with questions (not headfi PM) and I'll be happy to answer your questions.  

Sep 1, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #3,730 of 9,207

Quote:
Thanks for the details Vinnie. The Corvina looks the goods. When do you expect to ship?

All,

The Audeze Edition Systems are now shipping (yes, we finally have the custom travel cases in stock!).

The Isabellina HPA (singled-ended or balanced versions) are now shipping.

Hi olor1n,

The Corvina should being to ship at the end of this month.  We'll post more about pre-ordering on our forum and Facebook page soon.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #3,732 of 9,207

Quote:
WA I ordered the MiniTorii's brother, the Taboo (with VCaps) a week ago. I imagine I have another 5 weeks or so wait with shipping to New Zealand factored in. I'll certainly post impressions if you're still deciding at that time (or even if you're not
normal_smile .gif
). Taboo has a manageable 4 tubes and the same output power as the Lyr. Like the MT, it will drive speakers too. It does apparently need 3-4V input for best dynamics (my MiniMax DAC does 3V which should suffice). You can order/install a higher gain driver tube option in lieu of a pre-amp if necessary, although based on the Taboo thread the standard tube could be fine.

I can't wait for you to get the Taboo with those juicy Vcaps and report back!

Sep 2, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #3,733 of 9,207

Quote:
WA I ordered the MiniTorii's brother, the Taboo (with VCaps) a week ago. I imagine I have another 5 weeks or so wait with shipping to New Zealand factored in. I'll certainly post impressions if you're still deciding at that time (or even if you're not
normal_smile .gif
). Taboo has a manageable 4 tubes and the same output power as the Lyr. Like the MT, it will drive speakers too. It does apparently need 3-4V input for best dynamics (my MiniMax DAC does 3V which should suffice). You can order/install a higher gain driver tube option in lieu of a pre-amp if necessary, although based on the Taboo thread the standard tube could be fine.

Yes I am also looking forward to your opinions. I was very close to ordering the Taboo with vCaps myself a few months ago. Its still on my possibility list.
Are you sure it delivers the same power as the Lyr into 50 ohms?

Sep 2, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #3,735 of 9,207

No not sure - only that it has the same overall 6W figure as Lyr, and is described as driving "PLANAR Head Phones between 4 and 60 ohms".  More pertinent, imo, is that reports do suggest it is - like the MiniTorii - an excellent LCD2 amp. Well, we shall see...
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes I am also looking forward to your opinions. I was very close to ordering the Taboo with vCaps myself a few months ago. Its still on my possibility list. Are you sure it delivers the same power as the Lyr into 50 ohms?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back