Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 27, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #3,693 of 9,207
Has anyone tried the LCD-2's with the Cavalli CTH hybrid amp? I know they power the Thunderpants wonderfully, and I'm wondering if they'd do the same for the LCD-2's.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #3,695 of 9,207

Quote:
I used to own the CTH, and IMO it was not a good match for the LCD2. I don't remember the specific deficiencies, but clearly remember my impression: bleh!

Loved the CTH wth the K701 though!

That sucks. I was hoping the CTH would work well with both the LCD2 and Thunderpants so I can just get that to use on both of them. I already have an Audio-gd NFB-12. How would that work on the LCD2?

Aug 28, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #3,697 of 9,207
i have tried two portable amps with my LCD-2
rxmkII - did not do well with them in my opinion
SR71B (my current amp) in balanced out mode.. AWESOME!

i find this combination to be very good too.

Aug 28, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #3,698 of 9,207

Quote:
i have tried two portable amps with my LCD-2
rxmkII - did not do well with them in my opinion
SR71B (my current amp) in balanced out mode.. AWESOME!

I will agree that the balanced SR-71b is a bit better with LCD-2 than the Rx Mk2.  The amps were across the room from each other, so I couldn't do side by side comparisons, but I do recall thinking at the time that the balanced SR-71b/Silver Dragon was the best portable rig I heard with the LCD-2.  But I didn't think that the Rx Mk2 at RMAF was too bad with the LCD-2.

Most of my own portable amps don't sound so good with the LCD-2, except my SR-71b in balanced mode which is fantastic (silver dragon protector cable), and my Practical Devices XM5 which has fairly good synergy but not nearly as good as the balanced SR-71b.  The XM5 sounds better with LCD-2 than the SR-71b in single ended mode, or the 3MOVE, D4 and D10, or Pico Slim.  If I had to guess, the Rx Mk2 might have been on a similar level to my XM5 which is not as good as the SR-71b.

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #3,699 of 9,207
The Colorfly C4 Portable player drives the LCD-2 with a lot of authority IMO.

At the moment I'm enjoying this setup : Denon 250SE Stereo Amp>>Speaker Cables>>APPV headphone adapter>>LCD-2.  
Slightly on the darker side but HUGE soundstage & great bass impact compared to my Schiit Lyr.

Aug 29, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #3,700 of 9,207

Quote:
I used to own the CTH, and IMO it was not a good match for the LCD2. I don't remember the specific deficiencies, but clearly remember my impression: bleh!

Loved the CTH wth the K701 though!

depends on the tube you run...The CTH is a lot like the stackeer..its sound signature is defined by the tube that you use.

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #3,704 of 9,207
I'm a hair trigger away from ordering a Balancing Act with KR-PX4 tubes for my LCD-2... Someone talk me out of it before it's too late!

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #3,705 of 9,207
Wrong place for talking you out of any high-end gear
tongue.gif

I need to read thru this thread but is it safe to assume you think you'll get a little extra wow factor from Balancing Act over your already awesome B22.
We're all drooling over that one you have an IC for in the amp for sale thread.  Looks killer.

Quote:
I'm a hair trigger away from ordering a Balancing Act with KR-PX4 tubes for my LCD-2... Someone talk me out of it before it's too late!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back