Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 23, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #3,677 of 9,207
Yes, I will get to a full Lyr review with some comparisons, but it will be a few weeks, probably.

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #3,678 of 9,207

Do you guys think the Phonitor goes well with [size=12.0pt]Audeze LCD-2 rev 2.  According to Jude Heafi Tv ep 9, he mention that that it sounded very good with his LCD-2 rev1 but there are people that say they sounded veil and muddy due to the diff  impedance but i am enchanted by its beauty. Its really the nicest looking amp I have ever seen + made in Germany. I also do not have a dac that have a XLR output, do you think an 1/8 headphone jack/XLR adapter will work? I will use either dacport or Solo dac for now to feed the phonitor. Can someone describe the sound a little of on the phonitor/LCd-2 combo. My budget is $5K for dac and amp combo.[/size]

I love Lush, warm sound with good soundstage. I do not have any experience with tube amps but I do love my treble but not to the point of being harsh. I heard the phonitor sound exactly what I have describe with HD800 or ultrasone ed 9. What about LCD-2 ?

Any help appreciated.

[size=12pt]Thanks[/size]
Audiowood

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #3,679 of 9,207
I had the Auditor (same amp as the Phonitor, just without the crossfeed and other functions) and found it to be a poor amp for the LCD-2. Also the electrical characteristics don't match very well between the Auditor/Phonitor and low-impedance headphones in general - it's a better amp for high-impedance headphones on paper.

This post I wrote offers a little more on my Auditor experience: http://www.head-fi.org/t/511201/review-beyerdynamic-t1-vs-sennheiser-hd800/105#post_6985524

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #3,681 of 9,207

Quote:
In anticipation of my upcoming review of the Schiit DAC, I have a loaner of the Lyr now.  And I must say, I am rather impressed.  It does a very good job with the LCD-2.

Funny Rob, that's the combo I decided for tonight....I'm still loving it.
L3000.gif

Quote:
Good to hear!  Lyr has been my highest-end headphone amp so far.  Good to know that I'm not missing out too much before jumping into the higher end amps.

While I prefer my WA22 with my LCD-2s, it's not far off from my Lyr.

Aug 24, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #3,682 of 9,207

Quote:
I had the Auditor (same amp as the Phonitor, just without the crossfeed and other functions) and found it to be a poor amp for the LCD-2. Also the electrical characteristics don't match very well between the Auditor/Phonitor and low-impedance headphones in general - it's a better amp for high-impedance headphones on paper.

This post I wrote offers a little more on my Auditor experience: http://www.head-fi.org/t/511201/review-beyerdynamic-t1-vs-sennheiser-hd800/105#post_6985524

Ok thank you very much Asr and Duckman. I will stay away from the Phonitor.

Aug 25, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #3,683 of 9,207
Could anyone suggest an amp within a price range of 300-500€ for these phones? Cant really affort to go higher when amp+phones combine. :frowning2:

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #3,684 of 9,207

Quote:
Could anyone suggest an amp within a price range of 300-500€ for these phones? Cant really affort to go higher when amp+phones combine. :frowning2:

Schiit Lyr. Best I've heard the LCD-2s on an amp under $800.

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #3,687 of 9,207

frown.gif
 I nearly replied earlier re the Lyr, but wondered about your taxes...as you're in Europe (I presume), what about a 2nd hand Meier Concerto? I find it very transparent, detailed and neutral, and a very good match. Or there's Jan Meier's new amp the Classic but not 'til December and not yet priced. Or Burson HA160?

That's me out of ideas!

Quote:
Yeah but I think its gonna go over my budjet with taxes and shipment :frowning2:

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #3,688 of 9,207

Quote:
FinBenton,

You won't have to read far back to see the Schiit Lyr recommended to the hilt.

Cheers!

Just search this thread for "Lyr" and see how many pages of results come back, that should say something. I was pretty content with the LCD-2 and Concerto though but you can really tell there is some good synergy between the Lyr and LCD-2. I'd like to hear some other tube amps to compare but I've been very impressed with what I've been hearing since getting mine a few days ago. I also just ordered some Lorenz '60s PCC88 Gray Shields to so what those will do but that is the blessing/curse of a tube amp. I also compared the Concerto and Burson side by side with the LCD-2 and some recabled D5000 I had at the time and preferred the Concerto. The Burson wasn't bad I just expected more from what I'd heard about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back