ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #406 of 1,380
In my experience any piece of audio equipment benefits from isolation, my mega expensive HRS base turns up next week, I will be interested to see if that further improves the sound. I will be seriously p***** if it doesn't after trying the vibrapods and cones.

If you decide to try them, I suggest you get both the pods and the cones, they work better together, there's also a review on six moons about them. I'll see if I can find the link.

I have go to start selling the excess of tubes I have collected for the Studio Six. I also have a Gryphon Kalliope DAC arriving for a trial next week. Looking forward to that!

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #407 of 1,380
The isolation base for the SS arrived so now its perched on top in all its glory, I have it floating off its feet

Oct 4, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #408 of 1,380
I have decided to sell some of my 6SN7 collection for the Studio Six, I will be adding some rare 6V6's and 5AR4's to this.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/737133/various-6sn7-valves

Oct 6, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #409 of 1,380
Hey Guys,

We just want to thank everyone who is posting in this thread and your interest in the Studio Six. So the big news is the Studio Six accessory phonostage is going to be displayed this year at our Canjam table at the upcoming RMAF show in Denver. We hope people can make it out to Denver and listen to some true high resolution all analog playback at our booth. The ALO audio team, myself and Thomas Martens are very proud to bring you both the 100% made in the USA Studio Six headphone amp and the Studio Six Phonostage.

The Studio Six was pre designed to deliver highly filtered power directly to the Studio Six accessory phonostage unit (The ST6 Phonostage is not a stand alone phonostage) Comes in anodized silver or black, umbilical cable is included.

Main features are:

1. 12ax7 x 2, and one 6SN7
  2. Utilizes 3 stages of class A triode amplification per channel
  3. Has a passive RIAA equalization
  4. No feedback is used anywhere in the circuit 
  5. Separate multistage power supply filtering chain for each channel
  6. Works with a wide range of cartridges, 1 - 10mv output (all MM) and high output moving coil carts.
  7. 3 position input load switch
  8. Designed emphasis on super clean and extended bass performance

We had wished the phonostage to come sooner but we are doing the best we can so are thrilled to finally have the all analog circle complete. 

Thank you,

Ken Ball
Founder, ALO audio

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Oct 6, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #410 of 1,380
Thanks Ken. 

Are the valve guards removable?

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #411 of 1,380
HI isquirrel,

Yes they unscrew but the threads are large and the guards function as a effective shield against RF and other noise.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #412 of 1,380
I will not get into vinyl...

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #413 of 1,380

That's what i keep telling myself...........

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #414 of 1,380

You know the last time I was in Shinjuku visiting Disk Union I was floored at how reasonable the vinyl was. I mean cheaper than in the USA... Also Japanese record shops grade "good" = "near mint" in USA. Japanese folks really take great care of their vinyl. "good" at my local shops was total garbage, not in Japan. 

evil_smiley.gif

KB

Oct 17, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #417 of 1,380
The base lowered the noise floor and improved definition. The system became more lifelike and musical. No surprises there, isolating components always seems to help them. Was it worth the extra expense over Vibrapods and cones, no probably not, is there an improvement over them - yes there was.

I feel that I have run the distance with the Studio Six now and its performing as well as it can, no more upgrades planned for it. 

Oct 17, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #418 of 1,380
I put some Herbies feet under the Studio Six and there seemed to be a bit of an improvement.  I've ordered a Tung Sol round plate 6SN7 too. It will be interesting to compare it to the 5692.

Oct 18, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #419 of 1,380
I put some Herbies feet under the Studio Six and there seemed to be a bit of an improvement.  I've ordered a Tung Sol round plate 6SN7 too. It will be interesting to compare it to the 5692.

I ended up going back and forth between the 5692 & the TS, I have finally settled on the 5692 as it has a nice rich tonality, the TS, & it might be the example I have, can be a little too forward and lean for my tastes.

Oct 23, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #420 of 1,380
After several marathon listening sessions across three states on my return and in summary I have to say, the Studio Six is very very good and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. 

However it is planned for a graceful exit, I heard another pair of amps that I can't stop thinking about the sound and my ears miss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back