ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Aug 29, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #376 of 1,380

Does Philips 5r4gys works fine? I did try the phillips GZ37/CV378 but i'm not sure about it. I believe it's direct-heated instead of GZ34's indirect heated build....

i use phillips beacuse i use the alo studio six with a decware csp3 preamp which also uses tubes . if i use alo studio six alone i probably will use a different tube for the rectifier , but i have to combine the decware tubes and alo tubes and tuning them to get the right sound .  phillips is the best on the alo studio six when my decware has the mullard gz37 as the rectifier . if  i use another mullard on the alo and mullrd on the decware  the sound is too boomy and bassy and im losing detail 

Aug 29, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #377 of 1,380
  i use phillips beacuse i use the alo studio six with a decware csp3 preamp which also uses tubes . if i use alo studio six alone i probably will use a different tube for the rectifier , but i have to combine the decware tubes and alo tubes and tuning them to get the right sound .  phillips is the best on the alo studio six when my decware has the mullard gz37 as the rectifier . if  i use another mullard on the alo and mullrd on the decware  the sound is too boomy and bassy and im losing detail 

Mmm, I think I do understand.... Did you try the GZ37 in the Studio Six as a stone alone unit?

Sep 9, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #378 of 1,380
Been playing around with valves and have hit the sweet spot

6SN7 - Tung Sol Round Plates VT231
6V6's - 1930's Sylvannia's
0B2's - Mullard
5AR4 - GZ34 Metal Base

Received a batch of 0B2's today & these Mullard's were tucked in there with a note, totally different visually and sonically to the usual one's, have the life of the Sovtek's with a beautiful liquidity.

Funny I ended up doing the 6SN7 and 0B2 spots last 

Sep 15, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #379 of 1,380
Sep 15, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #380 of 1,380
Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Six fails to slow down or trundle. It is speedy even when plugged into low Ω portable headphones that usually stymie full-size amps targeted at low sensitivity headphones. Balance is perfect for its target phones. Even super sensitive earphones such as the Sleek Audio CT7/SA7 attain perfect tracking balance at listenable levels. The volume pot is a long-throw pot, so control is pretty much perfect for anything out there. Earphones are probably too sensitive for the Six though. Internal hum is low but audible from portable headphones and earphones. 

Proper home headphones of any vintage/variety never ever hum when plugged into the Six. 

Does anyone have more to add on the subject of background hum with this amp (in a quiet room when no music is playing)? I'm assuming that with an Audeze LCD-XC or -X, there is no hum or noise. How about with dynamic headphones with, say, upper-90s sensitivity?

Sep 16, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #381 of 1,380
I get low level hum with my LCD-X's, it doesn't bother me as its inaudible when music is playing. I have mine running out of a Shunyata power conditioner and still get background hum.

Sep 16, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #382 of 1,380
  I get low level hum with my LCD-X's, it doesn't bother me as its inaudible when music is playing. I have mine running out of a Shunyata power conditioner and still get background hum.

That jibes with what a lot of reviews have said, and is really unfortunate for a new amp at this price. Even my WA6-SE is dead silent with headphones much more sensitive than my XC.

Sep 16, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #383 of 1,380
had the same issue with the lcd-x... one of the reasons why I sold the X and "upgraded" it to the 3. I also like the 3 more than the X so no complaints there but the hum shouldn't have been an issue with the lcd-x...

Sep 16, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #384 of 1,380
That's it, I am going to pick up a pair of LCD-3 F's tomorrow. The hum is really not that noticeable, for sure it would be better if it were not there at all.

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #385 of 1,380
  had the same issue with the lcd-x... one of the reasons why I sold the X and "upgraded" it to the 3. I also like the 3 more than the X so no complaints there but the hum shouldn't have been an issue with the lcd-x...

Are your LCD-3's the Fazored variety? if so what do you like more than the LCD-X's?

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #386 of 1,380
Had issues with the X and a hum too but none at all with HD800 and my lcd3

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #387 of 1,380

Are your LCD-3's the Fazored variety? if so what do you like more than the LCD-X's?

Hard to describe as they both have particular different sound signatures. LCD3's treble seems more rolled off than the lcd-x and the bass doesn't kick so low and isn't as pronnounced. I mean, the bass of the lcd-3 is amazing but I had the feeling the X's bass was more unnatural... sorry it's rather hard to describe as my native language isn't English.

Sep 16, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #388 of 1,380
I do use non-fazored LCD-3 with my S6. I also have LCD-X in my collection, and yes - S6 does has a little (non-disturbing) hum. But I do prefer the mellow sound of my LCD-3 over the more analytic sound of the LCD-X. LCD-X sometimes sounds a bit artificial compared to LCD-3. My favorite cans with S6 are LCD-3 AND LCD-XC! These combo's really shines and let my feet tap on the music. What does a men need more when listening his favorite music :wink:!!!

Sep 18, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #389 of 1,380
LCD-3's turned up today, listening now, too early to form any conclusions, but I can now understand what everyone's been talking about and no doubt they will improve with more time on them.

No hum with the LCD-3's either...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back