ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Aug 28, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #361 of 1,383
Concentrating on the 6SN7 spot now:

Rolled in a VT231 1940's RCA Grey Glass (black plates) into the 6SN7 slot, immediately noticed the soundstage increase and better resolution, a noticeable upgrade. Went back and forth with the Red Base RCA - definite upgrade in bloom and dynamics also.

Was lucky to find a friend with a good rare NOS Tung Sol round plate to finish up my experimentation, should be here next week.

Aug 28, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #362 of 1,383
  I use LCD-X with my S6, I tried the LCD-3 but preferred the dynamic nature and overall sound balance of the LCD-X, they sound wonderful and are fast just what you need for EDM.

If you are up in Brisbane PM me and you can listen to my rig.

As far as tube's go there are some very good recommendations on this thread, however bearing in mind your preference for EDM (I listen to Armin too :) I suggest you go with the following:

6SN7 - NOS Ken Rad VT231, flat black plates - great bass and slam, good midrange

6V6's - Bendix 5992 (ALO) they are fast and dynamic

0B2's - Stock Sovtek's or RCA's

5AR4 - New Release Mullard GZ34 (ALO)

ALO has everything you need apart from the Ken Rad's although worth asking Caleb or Ken from ALO when you order if they have any. Ken has some good tubes in his stock. If not PM me and I can help you to get a good one. The Ken Rad's vary from excellent to average so its best to get from a trusted vendor.

Other things to consider is a good power conditioner and power cable. Also consider asking ALO for a package deal on Interconnects and HP cables. The Salty Pepper variant will give the dynamics and resolution you are looking for. 

Congrats on the decision to go with the S6 you won't be disappointed!

Mate - You're a legend, thank you! :)

Unfortunately I'm based in Sydney, and it's SO frustrating knowing what you want, but not being able to validate it by auditioning. Thank you for the kind invitation to listen to your rig.

Armin! I love(ed) the man - I've been in the EDM game since the late nineties, in fact my first gig was Ferry Corsten & Anthony Pappa at Crush in 1999, then I heard the set to end them all. Armin Van Buuren - Live @ Sublime, Home Nightclub 2004. That night shaped the music lover I am today, it's because of that experience (and many others over the years) that I chase the emotional connection I get from highend audio. I'm definately an audiophile, but my mispent youth will leave you in no doubt as to the fact that I am first and foremost a music lover. I remember going to see these 3 kids from England play to a crowd of about 500 in a small nightclub in the Cross in 2005, people said they were fantastic...and the name of this Motley Crew? Above & Beyond. To think they now play to 50,000+ stadiums blows my mind! Not sure what's happened to Armin of late, I hope he gets back to the more ethereal and melodic progressive take on trance I fell in love with as apposed to the high impact, non emotional electro infusion I've heard when I've listened to some of his sets lately.  I'm now passionate about the darker, groovier progressive house and tech house stuff: John Digweed, Hernan Cattaneo, Guy J, Dana Bergquist, Marceo Plex, Nick Warren, Jody Wisternoff to name a few...

I'll be buying both the LCD-X and Studio Six from Addicted to Audio, they mentioned the version includes the Teflon Caps upgrade: I'll also speak to them about the Cable, and Glass upgrade recomended above as well.

Again, much appreciated. If you're ever in Sydney drop me a PM I owe you a beer or two...

Aug 28, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #363 of 1,383

Mate - You're a legend, thank you! :)

Unfortunately I'm based in Sydney, and it's SO frustrating knowing what you want, but not being able to validate it by auditioning. Thank you for the kind invitation to listen to your rig.

Armin! I love(ed) the man - I've been in the EDM game since the late nineties, in fact my first gig was Ferry Corsten & Anthony Pappa at Crush in 1999, then I heard the set to end them all. Armin Van Buuren - Live @ Sublime, Home Nightclub 2004. That night shaped the music lover I am today, it's because of that experience (and many others over the years) that I chase the emotional connection I get from highend audio. I'm definately an audiophile, but my mispent youth will leave you in no doubt as to the fact that I am first and foremost a music lover. I remember going to see these 3 kids from England play to a crowd of about 500 in a small nightclub in the Cross in 2005, people said they were fantastic...and the name of this Motley Crew? Above & Beyond. To think they now play to 50,000+ stadiums blows my mind! Not sure what's happened to Armin of late, I hope he gets back to the more ethereal and melodic progressive take on trance I fell in love with as apposed to the high impact, non emotional electro infusion I've heard when I've listened to some of his sets lately.  I'm now passionate about the darker, groovier progressive house and tech house stuff: John Digweed, Hernan Cattaneo, Guy J, Dana Bergquist, Marceo Plex, Nick Warren, Jody Wisternoff to name a few...

I'll be buying both the LCD-X and Studio Six from Addicted to Audio, they mentioned the version includes the Teflon Caps upgrade: I'll also speak to them about the Cable, and Glass upgrade recomended above as well.

Again, much appreciated. If you're ever in Sydney drop me a PM I owe you a beer or two...

No worries mate, sent you a PM

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #365 of 1,383
Aug 29, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #367 of 1,383
I broke out the LCD-Xs again and I agree they make a great paring with the Studio Six.

Aug 29, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #368 of 1,383
Aug 29, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #369 of 1,383
Aug 29, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #371 of 1,383
What's you're favourite Audeze HP

Has a lot in common with yours :wink:!

:) Yep

What's you're favourite Audeze HP with the S6?

Aug 29, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #373 of 1,383
Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back