ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Aug 22, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #346 of 1,383
I mean't to add 'at time of placing order'

Cool, certainly worth a shot, especially considering your spending 4 grand with them already. Maybe they will be in a cheerful mood when I order too since I plan on buying the amp as a Christmas gift for myself :)

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #347 of 1,383
Ask for the upgraded Teflon foil caps too.

Early Christmas this year??

Aug 22, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #348 of 1,383
Ask for the upgraded Teflon foil caps too.

Early Christmas this year??

No, just doing my research now and saving up, it's an awfully big purchase for me but I intend to purchase and have it for a long time, I've already got my VEGA DAC for my setup, just sitting on the shelf now gathering dust until I get the headphone amp. What do the Teflon foil caps do anyway, I was wondering about those, if it's worth the extra $200 or not.

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #349 of 1,383
I asked Ken Ball from ALO, he said it made a difference but that it was small. My thoughts were if I am going to do it might as well go the whole way.

His comments were the amp is excellent anyway but for those looking to scrape every last drop out of it the Teflon Caps are there as an option.

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #350 of 1,383
  I asked Ken Ball from ALO, he said it made a difference but that it was small. My thoughts were if I am going to do it might as well go the whole way.

His comments were the amp is excellent anyway but for those looking to scrape every last drop out of it the Teflon Caps are there as an option.

Same here, when investing that sum of money, you want to have the optimal setup! If not a (minor) upgrade, they wouldn't have offered it for sure...

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #351 of 1,383

] Okay, the AP1 SE & PP has arrived along with the Mullard Metal Base GZ34. It feels like Christmas. 

I was wondering if I gone overkill however I have learnt that's not possible in the High Fi world! I also listen to Currawong's advice as his observations have been correct. Which is nice as he's a fellow Aussie 
bigsmile_face.gif

First the AP1 & PP offers quite an improvement, I tried the AP1 direct which was a PIA and I had all sorts of dramas with getting anything to play. That's sorted by running USB direct to the AP1 and a separate USB cable to the PP. I am not sure its worth $2,000 AUS but were not talking about value here so yes I would recommend getting one. It has added that magical sparkle to the Hugo without taking anything away. Mine only has 20 hours on it I am told they sound much better after 200 hours.

I did find that adding a good S/PDIF cable has improved things again. I am playing with the cable length setting in the AP1 to fine tune the sound. If anyone has any feedback on this would be much appreciated.

Now the Mullard Metal Base, yep that has helped the SS sound incredible. It has given the sound an absolutely riveting quality. More magic, life and drive.

So I the Studio Six is now a very expensive amp with the NOS valves........However I am in audio heaven

So that's it for now, I am saving my $ for Chord's new QBD76 which should be epic.

Glad you're enjoying it! I hunted down better BNC/RCA converters as the one that comes with the Audiophilleo is crap and wouldn't maintain a connection. I can certainly say that beyond headphone considerations I don't feel any need to upgrade any more. Too much chasing the audio dragon. 
wink.gif

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #352 of 1,383

Glad you're enjoying it! I hunted down better BNC/RCA converters as the one that comes with the Audiophilleo is crap and wouldn't maintain a connection. I can certainly say that beyond headphone considerations I don't feel any need to upgrade any more. Too much chasing the audio dragon. 
wink.gif

Agreed, mine would cut out constantly, thought it was a problem with the AP1 - swapped in a longer Coax and no problem. Even DSD 128 now works using DOP.

I am using latest version of A+ (1.5.12.6) available here http://audirvana.com/delivery/Audirv...s_1.5.12.6.dmg with Yosemite DP6, Direct Mode Off, Int Mode on & Max Buffers size = best setup.

Direct Mode sounds a bit harsh to me.

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #353 of 1,383
Trying to make a decision whether to go with an HRS isolation base to use with the S6, anyone had any experience / can comment on any improvement with adding isolation base?

Aug 22, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #354 of 1,383
Trying to make a decision whether to go with an HRS isolation base to use with the S6, anyone had any experience / can comment on any improvement with adding isolation base?

An isolation base for a headamp? Is that necessary, I thought those were just for speaker systems that cause rattle of equipment. How would you even hear any rattle with headphones on

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #355 of 1,383
Everything including the earth has resonances going on. This particularly applies to delicate instruments such as medial, scientific and even audio equipment.

High End manufactures are increasingly using anti vibration/resonance methods to reduce them. You cannot get rid of these completely as it a law of physics. Every component I have tried benefits from a lesser or greater extent from using a vibration platform. They don't get rid of the resonance however they can reduce it to a lower level oscilation frequency that is inaudible.

Having said all that I have answered my own question, I was wondering if anyone had tried it and to what extent the S6 had beneifited.

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #356 of 1,383
Oh wow thanks didn't know that. Sounds like another thing I need to buy now. Gee thanks!

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #357 of 1,383
When it comes to tube gear especially, you want to eliminate as much external vibration as possible. I feel like you can achieve the same results with a thick maple block or slate on some nice footers however. But, it's all personal taste. I've seen and tried various isolation footers available, from very cheap to very expensive, and I have gotten the best results with on of the cheapest combinations, a 3" maple Kobi Block paired with Diversitech EVA isolation pads.

Aug 28, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #358 of 1,383
Hi Everyone,

I'm about to pull the trigger on purchasing the Studio Six. Unfortunately, I'll be doing so without having had a the chance to listen to the amp as I pursue what I hope to be somewhat of an end game rig, and upgrade from my current Woo Audio WA2 + LCD2 combo. The link below details my thinking on how I've landed on the studio six, effectively beating out Cavali's Liquid Gold & a Stax 009 + BHSE in the decision making process:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/732287/summitfi-edm-rig-studio-six-vs-liquid-gold-vs-bhse-lcd-x-vs-lcd-3-vs-sr009

I was convinced that the LCD-X was the perfect partner to the Six given my appreciation for the Audeze House Sound while searching for more speed in attack, micro dynamics and less bloom/more definition in the bass. But having read the many reviews of the Six when partnered with the LCD-3 I'm starting to second guess which of the two Audeze's to go for...

My understanding is that the Studio Six accounts for the relative contrast in speed the LCD-3 is often accused of, i.e. it brings the LCD-3 sound signature forward, and improves macro-dynamics and bass definition while providing the weight and body in the midrange the LCD-3 has when compared to the LCD-X. Would that be correct?

I listen to a lot of EDM via my Headphone Rig, and while 80% to 90% of the action happens in the upper and lower ranges, the real magic happens when a DJ emotionally engages their performance through tracks and sequences that explore a lush mid-range (at least for my personal taste), so that part of the equation is important to me.

With this in mind, I have two questions:

1) For an EDM loving Studio Six owner what cans should I go for? LCD-X vs. LCD-3
2) What upgraded tubes, and components should I get when sourcing the Studio Six from ALO?

Thanks in advance for your help on this!
Soapy

Aug 28, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #359 of 1,383
I use LCD-X with my S6, I tried the LCD-3 but preferred the dynamic nature and overall sound balance of the LCD-X, they sound wonderful and are fast just what you need for EDM.

If you are up in Brisbane PM me and you can listen to my rig.

As far as tube's go there are some very good recommendations on this thread, however bearing in mind your preference for EDM (I listen to Armin too :) I suggest you go with the following:

6SN7 - NOS Ken Rad VT231, flat black plates - great bass and slam, good midrange

6V6's - Bendix 5992 (ALO) they are fast and dynamic

0B2's - Stock Sovtek's or RCA's

5AR4 - New Release Mullard GZ34 (ALO)

ALO has everything you need apart from the Ken Rad's although worth asking Caleb or Ken from ALO when you order if they have any. Ken has some good tubes in his stock. If not PM me and I can help you to get a good one. The Ken Rad's vary from excellent to average so its best to get from a trusted vendor.

Other things to consider is a good power conditioner and power cable. Also consider asking ALO for a package deal on Interconnects and HP cables. The Salty Pepper variant will give the dynamics and resolution you are looking for. 

Congrats on the decision to go with the S6 you won't be disappointed!

Aug 28, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #360 of 1,383
Oh I forgot to mention before - specify the Teflon caps upgrade for the S6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back