ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Sep 21, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #391 of 1,380
  Sell your LCD-X and get yourself a XC and I think you're ready :) Enjoy listening!

I love both the LCD-X and XC on my S6!!

I just had this amazing listening sesh w/ my Studio Six + LCD-2 w/ Fazor via Double Helix Cables Molecule Elite - 
a combo I had not tried before - and BANG!

The new Shabbaz Palaces record - Lese Majesty (if you're a fan of Digable Planets - this is one of his other bands)

sounded so liquid and flowing. It was also WIDE-open with (and I just posted this in another thread) insane dimensionality
and warmth. The record is a masterful fusion of hip hop and intelligent electronic. The low end rippled out beautifully and 
the mids were so silky and textural.

Thanks to some tube-rolling suggestions from @Currawong I'm gonna checking out some different 6V6's next week (Electro-Harmonix & RCA)
and I gotta PM you about those other tube suggestions you had.

I tried this NOS GE 6SN7 - but I preferred the RCA my pops sent me. The GE (which I really enjoy in my E.A.R HP4) made the S6 sound
a lil' brittle op-top....

I LOVE this amp - and have grown more and more attached to it after I reviewed it!
I feel like I should write a follow-up!!

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #392 of 1,380
Seems you'll really like the match between Audeze and Studio Six. A thing I can imagine myself :wink: But I only said this when you've to make a selection from Audeze headphones matching Studio Six best... And yes, tube-rolling does differ a lot. That's why it's hard to say which headphone does match best. In the end it all depends from the selected tubeset!

But please do post your experience with the many tubes you've tried. We all gonna learn from this :wink:

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #393 of 1,380
  Seems you'll really like the match between Audeze and Studio Six. A thing I can imagine myself :wink: But I only said this when you've to make a selection from Audeze headphones matching Studio Six best... And yes, tube-rolling does differ a lot. That's why it's hard to say which headphone does match best. In the end it all depends from the selected tubeset!

But please do post your experience with the many tubes you've tried. We all gonna learn from this :wink:

oh I'll be glad to, and about many I've tried already - but, I defer to @Currawong here. I've been gettin' advice from him on tube-rollin' w/ the S6!

But I gotta crash - pulled an all-night and goin' to this mini-Meet in San Francisco today!!
Will do SOON!!
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #395 of 1,380
Some tube rolling notes on the 6SN7 spot on the Studio Six. I will post my experiences with the other valve positions.

I have been unsure of the best valve to use in the 6SN7 spot and have been surprised that the Tung Sol Round Plate was not performing as I had heard it should so after some research I read over at Tube maze that someone had similar issues with the TS RP, it was recommended that it be put on extended burn in as per the following comment

'The TS RP often need some extended usage to “wake up” the cathode and strip off the oxidized layer of barium on the cathode to get down to the strongly emitting layers of cathode emulsion. Before an extended “burn in” or “wake up” period, the roundplate 6SN7s are a little bit sluggish-sounding, and sound a little bit muddled/muddy, and in particular do not have good treble extrension or “air” in the high frequencies. But.. oh, WOW, when these legendary roundplate TungSol 6SN7s DO wake up after some burn in time… they will absolutely blow you away.'

Accordingly I did a week of 24/7 burn in and to my surprise the sound improved markedly.

I then did a marathon 6SN7 tube comparison last night which yielded the following results:

Studio Six

Test of 6SN7’s Valves - 21/09/14

Tube 1 - RCA Red Base 5692 1950’s

Valve is quiet, nice colouring, 1st up noticed sounds thicker, maybe more texture
vocals are smooth, texture, maybe more centred image, nice rhythm, feels smoky with everything being intimate.

T4 = starts very delicate, music coming from a black background, no noise, no sibilance, snare drum sounds tight, good layering of the instruments, at end of track good cymbals decay

T5 = guitar image in far right, vocal is dead centre, aware of a nice drum kick around 2.00 great emotion and no brightness at all! very relaxing to listen to, great sound

I feel as though i can hear everything in its right place, nothing is too emphasised.

T6 aware the shaker at 1.00 can hear detail in bass guitar, no sibilance or brightness

T5 no sibilance or brightness, good rendition of space

Overall sound is warm, thick and lush with plenty of unforced detail, maybe not the last word in resolution

Tube 2 - RCA 6SN7-GT 1940’s half grey glass

T4 tonal balance is brighter, seems very clear, no sibilance, not as much colour, doesn’t sound as thick or textural

T5 wide soundstage, impression is its clearer or just lighter, not as much bloom drum kick not as well pronounced

T6 sounds thinner I think, shaker is there but not quite as textural, music is not as layered

Tube 3 - RCA 6SN7-GT Grey Glass 1940’s 

T3 better than valve 2 little more texture, better depth to soundstage not as thin, bass guitar line is easier to follow.

T4 warmer, better separation, quiet, snare drums are not pronounced not quite as as thick or full bodied as V1

T5 more texture, val is clear with emotion, not as warm, no sibilance, 1.51 little bit shouts , good emotion, orchestra in background not a layered as in V1 but netter than V2

Tube 4 - Ken Rad Staggered Plates 6SN7GT/ VT-231 JAN CKR

T3 a little grudge not a smooth or liquid as V1 or V3, bit shimmery on cymbals, could be a touch dirty, not smooth or liquid, bit shrill 

T4 vocal a little coarse, soundstage is shallow, instruments sound a bit plain and thin, boring 

T5 attention wandered, vocals seems to be covered in a sheen, missing rich texture of V1 or V3

Tube 5 - Tung Sol Round Plates Black Glass 6SN7GT/VT-231

T3 clarity and delicacy, goals are more alive, best so far nice layering, i cancer everything that is going on, heard reverb for the 1st time at end of track

T4 nice reverb, vocals are crystal clear, none of the grunge apparent in V4

T5 guitar very nice harmonics, not trying to stand out, instruments behind layered well, very clear and clean sound. Great emotion mid track. Best of all worlds here, everything just sounds right!

Conclusion: Tube 5 - Tung Sol Round Plates Black Glass is the winner followed by Tube 1 - RCA Red Base

Sep 22, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #396 of 1,380
Some tube rolling notes on the 0B2 spots on the Studio Six.

0B2 Rectifiers

V1 - CBS-Hytron - violet glow

T5 Clean, no sibilance, good rhythm and pace, maybe a little light tonal balance.

T13 - delicate, plenty of detail, bass notes rolled nicely, good spatial cues

V2 - Siemens - violet glow

T13 - not quite as clean, a bit of glare

T4 - bit light

T5 - seems louder, vocals a bit dry

V3 - Mullard Specials - soft pinkish, orange glow (different to any other Mullards I have seen, don’t believe these are traditional Mullards)

T4 - not bright, textural, delicate, better bass definition, sophisticated musical presentation

T5 - not thin, more texture, soft and detailed , no sibilance at all, great soundstage and life, does not over emphasise edges, however the music is lively and well lit, best emotion by far, plenty of drama

T6 - really dances and sways, holds my attention

V4 - Mullards (ALO supplied)

T4 darker sounding, textural but lacks energy

T5 heavier, not getting into the emotion as much

V5 - Sovtek’s (ALO supplied) - bright orange glow

T4 lighter, edgy

T5 touch too bright, lit, not as refined

V6 - RCA’s - orange glow

T5 mechanical, does everything okay, but lacking the drama and sway - rythum 

T6 nothing to interest me here, lacks clarity and resolution

Conclusion - V3 Mullard Specials clear winners, tied with V1 Hytron’s & V5 Sovteks

Sep 27, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #397 of 1,380
I have just placed Vibrated and Cones under the Studio Six, Sources (& just about under everything else that moved!) 

The difference staggered me, suddenly the music was emerging from a jet black background with this rich organic palpability to it. My system has been taken to a completely different level, completely musically satisfying.

For the minimal cost they are must do tweak. Every aspect of the sonic performance has been greatly improved.

Sep 27, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #398 of 1,380
Looking nice squirrel! Are these things heat safe? Might get some for my ragnarok too u got a link to where I could buy some ?

Sep 27, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #399 of 1,380
@goldendarko hello mate,

Seem to be heat safe, no issues, 3 of them arranged in a triangular formation are the way to go. Studio Six is nice and stable although they will slide (if pushed) when used with the cones, so care needs to be taken. No brainer given the costs. I used them upside down as I didn't want marks or dents in the bottom of my amp.

My RAID Array was putting a lot of vibration through my desk, these little beasts have solved that issue.

Music Direct sell them or a local dealer they are widely available, given the low costs I bought 12 of each. Best upgrade for the price I have ever done!

http://www.musicdirect.com/m-244-vibrapods.aspx

Sep 28, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #400 of 1,380
Thanks, may have to pick up a few myself, price is certainly reasonable. I guess you only need 3 per piece of equipment and not 4?

Sep 28, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #401 of 1,380
Depends on stability concerns, performance wise a triangle is better than a square because it distributes the mass better

Sep 28, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #402 of 1,380
Depends on stability concerns, performance wise a triangle is better than a square because it distributes the mass better

Yeah, I don't think stability should be an issue, I'm just looking to get something to raise my Auralic VEGA up off my Ragnarok, the VEGA is pretty light too so I think 3 should be just fine. Wonder if I should get some for the Rag too.

Sep 28, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #403 of 1,380
Go crazy with the cones ! No seriously these things work, for the price they are the tweak of the century. They made a dramatic difference for the better to my system

Sep 28, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #404 of 1,380

Yeah, I don't think stability should be an issue, I'm just looking to get something to raise my Auralic VEGA up off my Ragnarok, the VEGA is pretty light too so I think 3 should be just fine. Wonder if I should get some for the Rag too.

Just thinking, it would be worth experiemtenting mass loading your Vega for better effect

Sep 28, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #405 of 1,380
I'm suprised they even make a difference at all with a headphone setup, I could see with a full blown speaker rig but it seems weird that they would help improve the sound quality of a headphone rig, but like you said for that price it's certainly worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back