ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Oct 23, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #421 of 1,380
What amp would that be? I am also considering trying the new violectric amp (and maybe the mcintosh one if I ever find the cash for that one)

Oct 26, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #422 of 1,380
  After several marathon listening sessions across three states on my return and in summary I have to say, the Studio Six is very very good and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. 

However it is planned for a graceful exit, I heard another pair of amps that I can't stop thinking about the sound and my ears miss.

Also waiting to hear which amp is keeping up at night :)

Oct 26, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #424 of 1,380
  Woo WA234 Monoblocks :wink: ???

You got it, when listening to the uber high end DAC's both I and my partner sensed that we were not hearing the DAC's at their best, so we had a good listen to the 234's.

It is a big purchase, however when I take into consideration the costs of inevitably buying and selling used equipment it makes sense to go straight to the final desired finishing spot. Woo are able to make up a cable that will enable dual headphone use and a big benefit is I can use high efficency speakers with them.

I also like that I can run many different types of tubes.

The plan is to spend a week living with them first before jumping in.

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #425 of 1,380
I think it's a lot of money, but when you're sure this is THE sound you're looking for - it's always best to take THE shortest road. So enjoy your new stack :) I'll stick with Studio Six and invest in new music, tubes and headphones!

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #426 of 1,380
I think it's a lot of money, but when you're sure this is THE sound you're looking for - it's always best to take THE shortest road. So enjoy your new stack :) I'll stick with Studio Six and invest in new music, tubes and headphones!

+1 the Studio Six is a beautiful amp, listening to some Natalie Merchant on it now with the LCD-3's. 

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #427 of 1,380

You got it, when listening to the uber high end DAC's both I and my partner sensed that we were not hearing the DAC's at their best, so we had a good listen to the 234's.

It is a big purchase, however when I take into consideration the costs of inevitably buying and selling used equipment it makes sense to go straight to the final desired finishing spot. Woo are able to make up a cable that will enable dual headphone use and a big benefit is I can use high efficency speakers with them.

I also like that I can run many different types of tubes.

The plan is to spend a week living with them first before jumping in.

I agree with your thinking on this. I used to spend a lot of money buying and selling and buying upgrades.... In trading forum, a lot of people lost sizeable margin on resell, many in only few months after initial purchased. If you can see an end game in short foreseeable future, I think its worth while to go for it even if some may have to save up a bit.

Nov 9, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #428 of 1,380
Right rolling tubes again this afternoon, I cannot get my system to sing today, frustrating, sounded so good last night

Feb 11, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #429 of 1,380
guess i'm the latest member of studio 6?  i've ordered it last week from the local dealer and received it yesterday. 

i've heard some hum, from my t5p to signature pro.  a little less hum from my hd800.  it was much more noticeable when i first turned it on.  maybe/can be completely gone with more hours?  i had it on, on and off, for , like 10 hours maybe.  i don't think it's the tubes.  i've heard bad tubes before.  i can try later.  i really have some spares tubes. 

Feb 11, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #430 of 1,380
Low impedances headphones as T5P do cause some little hum with Studio Six. But my experience is, rolling tubes for more quality ones do change a little....
I didn't notice huming of HD800 myself, having sold my HD800 because I did't like match with Studio Six that much :wink:

Match with Audeze / Hifiman / Mrspeakers and Grado PS500 is great :) Enjoy this beauty anyway!!!!

Feb 11, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #431 of 1,380
  Low impedances headphones as T5P do cause some little hum with Studio Six. But my experience is, rolling tubes for more quality ones do change a little....
I didn't notice huming of HD800 myself, having sold my HD800 because I did't like match with Studio Six that much :wink:

Match with Audeze / Hifiman / Mrspeakers and Grado PS500 is great :) Enjoy this beauty anyway!!!!

thanks, i'll try some grados later. not really a fan of audeze.  hifiman, i'll get he6 once i recover from this purchase.  but i do have wa5 and gsx for the job. 

which tubes/tubes combination has the less hum? 

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #432 of 1,380
The Studio Six does drive the HE-6, but does really need the power of this amp. I'll suggest you to try HE-560 before buying HE-6!

Very good tubeset for Studio Six is:

-Red base RCA 6SN7 (TCtubes.com)
-Bendix 6V6 or RCA/Tung-SOL 6V6
-OB2 Sylvania
-Mullard/Philips GZ34

Not the cheapest tubes, but worth the money :wink:

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #433 of 1,380
Hey Guys,

Also on the topic of tubes we still have a good supply of these NOS JAN Phillips 6V6GTs. price is per pair tested here using our Amplitrex AT1000 so no duds. These I bought new in box in bulk and cryo treated the whole case in my shop, full immersion in LN2. These are tubes are a fantastic match for the ST6.

PAM005 x2 on the PS500 :wink: nice.

Cheers guys.

ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Feb 11, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #434 of 1,380
  The Studio Six does drive the HE-6, but does really need the power of this amp. I'll suggest you to try HE-560 before buying HE-6!

Very good tubeset for Studio Six is:

-Red base RCA 6SN7 (TCtubes.com)
-Bendix 6V6 or RCA/Tung-SOL 6V6
-OB2 Sylvania
-Mullard/Philips GZ34

Not the cheapest tubes, but worth the money :wink:

i have some rca 6sn7 and mullard gz34.  but i'll let the amp burn-in/settle before putting in any new/different tubes.  thanks for the advise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back