2007 NBA Playoffs Thread
May 16, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #271 of 378
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
C'mon....I doubt that was his intention. Be real. I don't like this situation either but to speculate that he was trying to get Amarie and Diaw suspended is absurd. Let's face it, the Suns are just as dirty as the Spurs. How about the Ginobili black eye incident? He didn't even get a call. Instead of kept whining, he took over the third quarter and the Spurs won. Trust me, what Horry did was un-called for and he deserves the two games suspension, but you can't call the whole team dirty. Robert Horry is a future Hall of Fame player and his action was bad but was nothing like that of Reja Bell CL to Kobe during the last year play off.

the ginobili incident was bad, but no one thinks it was intentional. just going for the ball and accidentally raking him in the face...looks awful, but certainly no intent to harm him. i don't believe horry was masterminding a scuffle to get key phoenix players suspended...believe me, he's not that smart. his body check of nash was just as bad as bell's CL of kobe from last year...are there dirty plays from the phoenix suns? of course...but certainly not as frequent and as evident as that from the spurs - namely horry and bowen.

i don't care who wins the series...i just want to see three more fantastic games like the first 4 have been...but a badly-written rule is going to make game 5 very very difficult for the suns and that's unfortunate for the suns and for basketball fans everywhere.

May 16, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #272 of 378
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
C'mon....I doubt that was his intention. Be real. I don't like this situation either but to speculate that he was trying to get Amarie and Diaw suspended is absurd. Let's face it, the Suns are just as dirty as the Spurs. How about the Ginobili black eye incident? He didn't even get a call. Instead of kept whining, he took over the third quarter and the Spurs won. Trust me, what Horry did was un-called for and he deserves the two games suspension, but you can't call the whole team dirty. Robert Horry is a future Hall of Fame player and his action was bad but was nothing like that of Reja Bell CL to Kobe during the last year play off.

The Suns aren't dirty, they don't take cheap shots. Please name a time when a Suns player has kneed someone in the man-region, kicked someone's legs on a play they have no shot at contesting, or body checked someone into the scorer's table. Manu got hit in the eye by a swipe at the ball. I've had it happen many times to me while playing, that's part of the game. There should have been a foul, no doubt. Horry isn't a hall of famer, he's an opportunistic role player. Believe me, if Dominique Wilkins had such a hard time getting into the Hall, there's no chance for Horry. A few clutch shots does not a HOF'er make.
I didn't say he was aiming to get Amare and Diaw suspended specifically, but I think the idea behind it was he was willing to sacrifice himself (a pretty meaningless player on the Spurs) for one of the guys on the court (one of the Suns starters). It just worked out differently with guys leaving the bench. It was a gamble with a low risk and high reward. A guy that has played that long in the league knows that usually if you cause a fight the other side will get punished for their reaction. I can understand a hard foul, like Richardson knocking Okur down when the game was already decided. Okur shouldn't have tried to make an aggressive play like that when the game was all but over, just take the wide open jumper they give you. I've been fouled hard like that, I've given hard fouls like that. I don't get pissed, I'd only get upset over a cheap shot like Horry's. Believe what you want, Horry will never admit to what the purpose of that hit was. Bet ya Amare and Diaw will never leave the bench again, youngins learn the hard way sometimes, just a bad time to learn.

May 16, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #273 of 378
Oh and if you don't like the suspensions, feel free to sign the petition.
icon10.gif

http://www.petitiononline.com/spursuns/petition.html

May 16, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #274 of 378
Btw, I think this all stems from the problem that nowhere in the NBA rulebook do they define what an "altercation" is. Basically they can call anything they please and altercation, or not call it one. This is why people are in an uproar about why Davis, Richardson, Bowen, and Duncan weren't suspended while Amare and Diaw were. Stern/Jackson simply could have pardoned Amare and Diaw for their misstep and easily given a valid excuse of not wanting to reward Horry's team for his actions. Heck, they could have even said it wasn't enough of an "altercation" to warrant suspensions to the Suns players since there's no definition of altercation.

May 16, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #275 of 378
Quote:

Originally Posted by floydenheimer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw, I think this all stems from the problem that nowhere in the NBA rulebook do they define what an "altercation" is. Basically they can call anything they please and altercation, or not call it one. This is why people are in an uproar about why Davis, Richardson, Bowen, and Duncan weren't suspended while Amare and Diaw were. Stern/Jackson simply could have pardoned Amare and Diaw for their misstep and easily given a valid excuse of not wanting to reward Horry's team for his actions. Heck, they could have even said it wasn't enough of an "altercation" to warrant suspensions to the Suns players since there's no definition of altercation.

Yep, I agree with you on the suspension. Amarie and Diaw should shouldn't recieve the suspension.

May 16, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #276 of 378
I wish none of them got suspended. This sucks. I was 60/40 rooting for the Suns, now I have to move the slider to 100/0 for tonight just so this whole charade is a wash, and we can get back to business. God forbid the Spurs win the series now. If so, check-gate is going to dog them for four weeks.

Here's my conspiracy theory. Watch how fast Duncan gets to three and five fouls tonight. I'm calling six minutes to go in the second and fourth respectively because six is the number of rings he has x2.

May 16, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #277 of 378
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's my conspiracy theory. Watch how fast Duncan gets to three and five tonight. I'm calling six minutes to go in the second and fourth because six is the
number of rings he has x2.

blink.gif
lol

--
edit

I forgot to mention this. I agree with an earlier poster that the Suns should send in Pat Burke to dive at Duncan's knees or something. That'll show 'em!

May 16, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #278 of 378
So if the suspensions for Diaw and Amare seem fair, then why wasn't Duncan suspended for a similar incident in the 2nd quarter, when he got off the bench and was INSIDE the three point line? Altercation or not, he was off of the bench. Give me a break.

By the way, surprise surprise that the Warriors got hit with so many fouls last night. Sure, there were some plays that were for sure technicals or fouls, but did you see the foul discrepancy for the 4th quarter? Oh and surprise surprise, Bennett Salvatore being his ridiculous self on his high horse. He is the WORST official in the NBA, how Stern doesn't see this, is absolutely beyond me.

May 16, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #279 of 378
Quote:

Originally Posted by ojnihs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So if the suspensions for Diaw and Amare seem fair, then why wasn't Duncan suspended for a similar incident in the 2nd quarter, when he got off the bench and was INSIDE the three point line? Altercation or not, he was off of the bench. Give me a break.

By the way, surprise surprise that the Warriors got hit with so many fouls last night. Sure, there were some plays that were for sure technicals or fouls, but did you see the foul discrepancy for the 4th quarter? Oh and surprise surprise, Bennett Salvatore being his ridiculous self on his high horse. He is the WORST official in the NBA, how Stern doesn't see this, is absolutely beyond me.

First of all, Id like to first say that I've seen way worse fouls than what Horry did to Nash the other night. Everyones making a big stink because the Suns are the NBA's little sweethearts. For whatever reason, the Suns bench found it necessary to bolt off the bench when this happened even though everyone knows that getting off the bench to get involved in an altercation is not allowed. Stupid on their part. I'm not saying Horry is faultless, but I've seen the replay a ton of times, and Its just not that big a deal. Nash is just an excellent salesman.

Whether or not it was an altercation is TOTALLY relevant. Duncan got off the bench when nothing was going on. Amare and Diaw got up with the intention of getting involved physically. Its obvious. Plain and simple. I dont care what their excuses were. With that being said, I still wish that no one got suspended. Because now, if the Spurs win, everyones gonna boil it down to the Suns missing players. If the Spurs win the series, people are gonna boil it down to this game tonight when they were missing players. I'd much rather see the Spurs win it fair and square.

May 16, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #280 of 378
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of all, Id like to first say that I've seen way worse fouls than what Horry did to Nash the other night. Everyones making a big stink because the Suns are the NBA's little sweethearts. For whatever reason, the Suns bench found it necessary to bolt off the bench when this happened even though everyone knows that getting off the bench to get involved in an altercation is not allowed. Stupid on their part. I'm not saying Horry is faultless, but I've seen the replay a ton of times, and Its just not that big a deal. Nash is just an excellent salesman.

Whether or not it was an altercation is TOTALLY relevant. Duncan got off the bench when nothing was going on. Amare and Diaw got up with the intention of getting involved physically. Its obvious. Plain and simple. I dont care what their excuses were. With that being said, I still wish that no one got suspended. Because now, if the Spurs win, everyones gonna boil it down to the Suns missing players. If the Spurs win the series, people are gonna boil it down to this game tonight when they were missing players. I'd much rather see the Spurs win it fair and square.

Oh come on
rolleyes.gif
. You can't be serious.

May 17, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #281 of 378
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdjenders /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh come on
rolleyes.gif
. You can't be serious.

I agree.

Quote:

FI'm not saying Horry is faultless, but I've seen the replay a ton of times, and Its just not that big a deal. Nash is just an excellent salesman.

A bodycheck is a bodycheck. This coming from someone who lives in San Antonio is no surprise.

Quote:

For whatever reason, the Suns bench found it necessary to bolt off the bench when this happened even though everyone knows that getting off the bench to get involved in an altercation is not allowed.

For whatever reason? Have you ever played a team sport? These guys have played together for an entire season together (or should I say several seasons) and you expect them not to get upset that their team leader was body checked when they had the game wrapped up? You don't think of the rules when something like that happens, you get up to go help another human being, who happens to be your fellow teammate. It's human nature and David Stern and Stu Jackson should have realized this.

Quote:

Whether or not it was an altercation is TOTALLY relevant. Duncan got off the bench when nothing was going on. Amare and Diaw got up with the intention of getting involved physically. Its obvious. Plain and simple.

Duncan got off of the bench because he thought that there was going to be an altercation. That means he got off the bench with the same intent that Amare and Boris did. Case in point, he should be suspended as well.

I saw David Stern's PTI interview today and to be honest, Stern said everything that I expected him to, which was basically to pick and choose his words so well that it would put him into a good light. I've had my issues with Stern through the years but this incident is beyond ridiculous. He's literally handed this series to the Spurs on a silver platter. He needs to change the rules.

May 17, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #282 of 378
Quote:

Nash is just an excellent salesman.

Amare and Diaw got up with the intention of getting involved physically. Its obvious.

I'm pretty sure if Nash was going to flop and act, he wouldn't go flying back-first into the scorer's table knowing that he has a back condition (Spondylosis) and could possibly cost himself his career.

If you look more closely, Amare is running in the direction of Nash, not the group of players. He's going to keep people from going after Nash, not dash in throwing punches. Diaw is doing the same thing as well.

Check it out here:
nbaahorry275sh2.jpg

Anyway, they knew the rule and knew the league has 0 tolerance on it, they shouldn't have left the bench. It still makes the league look bad, and the rule doesn't need to be so draconian to be effective. I'm certain this is going to be revised come next season.

May 17, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #283 of 378
Quote:

I'm pretty sure if Nash was going to flop and act, he wouldn't go flying back-first into the scorer's table knowing that he has a back condition (Spondylosis) and could possibly cost himself his career.

That's a great point. I didn't even think of that. I mean all I could say was that Nash was running almost full speed up the side of the court and Horry stepped in his way and body checked him. There's no way you can just flop and sell that. I completely forgot about his Spondylosis, great, GREAT point.

Quote:

I'm certain this is going to be revised come next season.

I highly doubt this from the way Stern was talking about the rule earlier on PTI.

May 17, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #284 of 378
Stern on the Dan Patrick show today:
I'm unhappy with the result. If the owners would like to change it, I'm happy to do it, believe me. I'd be very happy to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back