Zune vs Vision: M
Mar 14, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #46 of 67
i know the zvm been out for about 2 years, correct me if im wrong, and i just got it about 2 weeks ago.. the buzz is about the zune and i found it for a pretty good deal.. should i sell zvm and upgrade to zune? worth it?

Mar 14, 2007 at 9:28 AM Post #48 of 67
Having owned quite a bunch of portables, and the ZVM being one of the oldest, I still cannot discount the ZVM to be bad sounding. I also disagree the ZVM to be colored as compared to let's say, the X5. I believe those that are not too happy with the ZVM's sq are either happy tweaking the eq of other players and are not contented with no eq, are not satisfied with neutral frequency, or are tired of the ZVM and enjoy the honeymoon of their new players. Give these people a blind test with a portable whose high and bass frequencies eq'd to full and they'll say that sounds heavenly.
blink.gif

I have nothing against the Zune. In fact, the Zune sounds good and slightly colored like the the warmth of the HD5. I just can't stand others who have created the "that's lame" attitude just because the honeymoon is over. Get better headphones and turn that EQ off. Not happy? Buy a boombox and enjoy the THUMP THUMP THUMP!
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2007 at 10:09 AM Post #49 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrototypeX2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ZVM does sound nice but they are heavily colored...especially through EQs. They top most DAPs but I think Zune clearly wins for the separation and cleanliness of the h/o.

zune is colored if you are talking about using the stock earbuds or any other phones which is prone to coloration.

But with my ETYMOTIC ER-4S, EQ off zune is far from being colored. There's some serious synergy between zune and Etys. And you are right about that superb separation and cleanliness/crispiness. I was amazed that this can be achived without the help of an external amp.

Mar 14, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #50 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by jscanla2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i know the zvm been out for about 2 years, correct me if im wrong, and i just got it about 2 weeks ago.. the buzz is about the zune and i found it for a pretty good deal.. should i sell zvm and upgrade to zune? worth it?

where are you getting a good deal on a zune? Can you give a link?

Mar 14, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #51 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having owned quite a bunch of portables, and the ZVM being one of the oldest, I still cannot discount the ZVM to be bad sounding. I also disagree the ZVM to be colored as compared to let's say, the X5. I believe those that are not too happy with the ZVM's sq are either happy tweaking the eq of other players and are not contented with no eq, are not satisfied with neutral frequency, or are tired of the ZVM and enjoy the honeymoon of their new players. Give these people a blind test with a portable whose high and bass frequencies eq'd to full and they'll say that sounds heavenly.
blink.gif

I have nothing against the Zune. In fact, the Zune sounds good and slightly colored like the the warmth of the HD5. I just can't stand others who have created the "that's lame" attitude just because the honeymoon is over. Get better headphones and turn that EQ off. Not happy? Buy a boombox and enjoy the THUMP THUMP THUMP!
biggrin.gif

I'm not sure if that was directed at me and my comment that the older creative products sounded better than their current line up. I believe that there is something to what you said, but pick up an older creative mp3 player and see for yourself.

Mar 15, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #53 of 67
ok, so I just got a ZVM for about 3 weeks, and now I get a very good deal on Zune. Can someone with both DAPs compare them both in term of SQ and the ease of video convertion? I listen to music with no EQ on, and I use ER6i. What I like about the ZVM is the ease of playing video. What I like about the Zune is the slightly bigger screen size. I don't know about the SQ though because I never used Zune before. So should I sell the ZVM and buy the Zune?

Mar 15, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #56 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure if that was directed at me and my comment that the older creative products sounded better than their current line up. I believe that there is something to what you said, but pick up an older creative mp3 player and see for yourself.

I agree. listen to the Creative nomad Jukebox 3 to see what i mean. Nothings these days comes close

Mar 15, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #57 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttnl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, so I just got a ZVM for about 3 weeks, and now I get a very good deal on Zune. Can someone with both DAPs compare them both in term of SQ and the ease of video convertion? I listen to music with no EQ on, and I use ER6i. What I like about the ZVM is the ease of playing video. What I like about the Zune is the slightly bigger screen size. I don't know about the SQ though because I never used Zune before. So should I sell the ZVM and buy the Zune?

Like I said before, I happen to own both and see no difference. If anything, the ZV:M has a louder volume. It's really up to the user to decide which is best. Goto a store like Best Buy and try them both out.

If you want my HONEST opinion; I would choose the ZV:M over Zune feature wise.
wink.gif

edit: Then again, I am kinda feeling the Zune more after trying both out again. I might sell my ZV:M because to me the Zune does everything I need.

edit 2: Yeah this post is kinda confused. Er.

Mar 15, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #58 of 67
Like I said before: The ZVM's sound quality is a teeeeny bit muffled compared to the Zune's. Well, I'm the kind of guy for warm, clear sound... And the Zune's SQ is very, very clear compared to the ZVM's. I can hear almost everything in the song: Vocals, strings, different percussions, etc. Then again, it might be because of the stock songs the ZVM features and the Zune stock songs. I did a custom EQ with the ZVM though and got almost the same SQ as the Zune... So you could go either way.

The ZVM has superior video quality compared to the Zune... Plus it supports more video formats. I mean, the Zune converts everything to LQ WMVs... Which was annoying as hell because I put an HQ movie on my Zune and it turned out muddy. This could also be because of the Zune's bigger screen. Same pixels with both players=Bigger pixels with bigger screen=Muddy screen. Plus, the ZVM has a brighter, more colorful screen.

So in short:

The Zune's SQ:ZVM SQ as to TV:Widescreen HDTV.
And vice versa with video quality.

My two cents go with the ZVM though.

~JJ

Mar 15, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #59 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by kobansora /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like I said before: The ZVM's sound quality is a teeeeny bit muffled compared to the Zune's. Well, I'm the kind of guy for warm, clear sound... And the Zune's SQ is very, very clear compared to the ZVM's. I can hear almost everything in the song: Vocals, strings, different percussions, etc. Then again, it might be because of the stock songs the ZVM features and the Zune stock songs. I did a custom EQ with the ZVM though and got almost the same SQ as the Zune... So you could go either way.

The ZVM has superior video quality compared to the Zune... Plus it supports more video formats. I mean, the Zune converts everything to LQ WMVs... Which was annoying as hell because I put an HQ movie on my Zune and it turned out muddy. This could also be because of the Zune's bigger screen. Same pixels with both players=Bigger pixels with bigger screen=Muddy screen. Plus, the ZVM has a brighter, more colorful screen.

So in short:

The Zune's SQ:ZVM SQ as to TV:Widescreen HDTV.
And vice versa with video quality.

My two cents go with the ZVM though.

~JJ

Don't let the zune software does the conversion for you. For best result I reencode all my videos to WMV using Microsoft's free Windows Media Encoder 9 with the settings 320X240 Hardware Profile: 29.7fps 605kbps. It is surprisingly fast and easy. When synched to zune, no conversion will be inflicted and it syc fast too. Quality wise I am very-very happy.

Mar 15, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #60 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by aris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. listen to the Creative nomad Jukebox 3 to see what i mean. Nothings these days comes close

rolleyes.gif
I have the NJB3. Perhaps, it was my earlier post you saw, aris.

Anyway, aaroncort, if you read my post closely, it wasn't in anyway directed at you. I in fact know the nomad drives good quality phones better than the zen due to its beefier output better quality DAC. These were the days when form factor wasnt sacrificed over sound. So mate, we're on the same deck here and my post wasnt about you.

Moving along, despite 'this and that' sound over another portable, this doesnt define the ZVM or in fact the Nano to be a 'lesser' creature. I hope my earlier post made this clear. Its usually the colorization and tweaked frequencies of other DAPs that gives the illusion to the teenagers that what they're hearing is 'better'. If you can balance the color of your source to the color of your phones, then you have synergy but nevertheless taking wise advantage of that illusion. If you want 'best', hunt it out there. Buy as much equipment as possible, do careful and valid testing, and you'll learn a lot along the way defining what you'll call 'better'. You might even avoid tinnitus in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back