Zune vs Vision: M
Mar 12, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #32 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zune second to Karma?..OMG ....I bought the Karma's son...
Are you sure ?

From a Rio Karma hardcore (I have two Karmas of 2 different gen), zune easily beat Rio Karma in SQ, specially on the crispy and clear output from the headphone out. So my Karma(s) is sitting there collecting dust for now.

And one thing for sure, zune headphone out at 20/20 volume is equivalent to the lineout (yes I tested the lineout) using zune travel pack Remote Device. Easily the lineout and headphone out SQ is superior and cleaner than iPods headphone out (I owned 3 gen of iPods before). The only time iPod could match zune in SQ is when you plug a good amp through their lineout dock

Mar 12, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #33 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would think that lack of an audio line out is a pretty big negative factor. If you're using an amp, the Zune is not even an option.

Negative. If you have a good headphone-out then the lack of a line-out is a non-issue unless you're looking for a virtually intangible 1-2%.

I'd suggest an X5, but like the majority of other contributors to this thread, I'd do so partly because I own one.

Mar 12, 2007 at 9:33 AM Post #34 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....I'd suggest an X5, but like the majority of other contributors to this thread, I'd do so partly because I own one.

Well I own none of them so is my opinion worth more or less?
icon10.gif

I've been debating over a HD DAP for a while. My main problem with a ZVM is the touch controls. Yes they are better then the previous Zen but they still aren't amazing. Its also a little bulk compared to an iPod. SQ is good though. I'd prefer the Zune because of the even better SQ and controls. But its not Europe yet, will probably be very expensive and its a brick. I wouldn't buy one till SP1
icon10.gif
The iPod I dislike because of the scratching. I don't think you should need a cover on a portable device for your pocket. I don't like iTunes and tagging. But the controls are good and its very smalll compared to the others. The SQ on a 5G I've heard is much improved over the 4G its not as fun sounding as the creative, put perhaps more accurate. The X5 seems to be the better audio player but its a lot more expensive, and I don't like the all the "effects" you seem to need to get a decent output.

Mar 13, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #35 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Zune has an incredible headphone out, sounds miles better than the Zen Vision's line out and between the HD5 and Karma in terms of agressiveness. This was through a Headphonia Mini Amp (latest opamp).

EDIT: If you're looking for features (Eq, video codecs etc) look for something else. For sound quality the Zune is second only to the Karma (never heard the Kenwoods but have gone through MANY other daps).

The nomad jukebox 3 and jukebox zen players has a sound quality as good or arguably better than the karma. The karma was lauded for its lossless codec suport and solid headphone out.

Mar 13, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #36 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I own none of them so is my opinion worth more or less?
icon10.gif

I've been debating over a HD DAP for a while. My main problem with a ZVM is the touch controls. Yes they are better then the previous Zen but they still aren't amazing. Its also a little bulk compared to an iPod. SQ is good though. I'd prefer the Zune because of the even better SQ and controls. But its not Europe yet, will probably be very expensive and its a brick. I wouldn't buy one till SP1
icon10.gif
The iPod I dislike because of the scratching. I don't think you should need a cover on a portable device for your pocket. I don't like iTunes and tagging. But the controls are good and its very smalll compared to the others. The SQ on a 5G I've heard is much improved over the 4G its not as fun sounding as the creative, put perhaps more accurate. The X5 seems to be the better audio player but its a lot more expensive, and I don't like the all the "effects" you seem to need to get a decent output.

Ah, but you don't need the effects at all. I use rockbox without effects and the Cowon is still readily fantastic, smidging my M6 which trounces most of the other competition (iPods, etc.) through the headphone out.

Mar 13, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #37 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, but you don't need the effects at all. I use rockbox without effects and the Cowon is still readily fantastic, smidging my M6 which trounces most of the other competition (iPods, etc.) through the headphone out.

Can you have your FM radio and decent battery life with Rocklife?

Mar 13, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #39 of 67
I actually own both a Zune and a ZV:M and prefer the ZV:M over the Zune feature wise.

Mar 13, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #40 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually own both a Zune and a ZV:M and prefer the ZV:M over the Zune feature wise.

I think a lot of us know that. the Zen have more features than the Zune. But...the ZVM is 1.3+ years old. the Zune is just 5 months old. How many firmwares have released Creative in that time period? do you remember when they removed the FM recording then added it back ? Yesterday there were news about the reduction of size on 60GB Zens.

What about SQ if do you own both players ?

Mar 13, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #41 of 67
I don't think much can top the ZVM in SQ. Can anyone else confirm that the Zune sounds better? It's starting to look really attractive as my next DAP...

Mar 13, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #42 of 67
Quote:

I think a lot of us know that. the Zen have more features than the Zune. But...the ZVM is 1.3+ years old. the Zune is just 5 months old. How many firmwares have released Creative in that time period? do you remember when they removed the FM recording then added it back ? Yesterday there were news about the reduction of size on 60GB Zens.

What other features have been added and removed? AFAIK thats the only one that was removed and added back. You make it sound like its taken time to get the ZVM all its features. Whereas its been the same pretty much from the day it went on sale.

Mar 14, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #43 of 67
Quote:

Obviously a ZV:M.

Mar 14, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #45 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrototypeX2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ZVM does sound nice but they are heavily colored...especially through EQs. They top most DAPs but I think Zune clearly wins for the separation and cleanliness of the h/o.

I've been hearing a lot about the Zune's SQ being quite good if you like warm sound. I own a ZV:M and am disapointed with the SQ of it compaired to creative's older offerings like the jukebox 3 and zen extra. Be aware however that its, to me naturally, better than the ipod's sound sig.

I have a friend with a zune but she won't part with it long enough for me to do a side by side test with it and my zen. Perhaps in a few weeks she'll be bored of it and I can get my greedy mitts on it to see for myself how it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back