Zune vs Vision: M
Feb 21, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #17 of 67
the only thing about the zune that i absolutely hate is that its FRIGGIN HUGE!!! It doesnt fit well in my hand like the gigabeat or the ipod but the screen is huge and the SQ is just as good as my gigabeat

Feb 21, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #18 of 67
Zune SQ is very nice, extremely clean output compared to any other DAP on the market and I've tried most of the worthwhile ones. GUI is beautiful, though a bit shallow. It's bigger than most other modern DAPs, but after holding it in my hand and carrying it around every day I couldn't care less. Go feel one if you haven't; the tactile sensation is more than worth the size (and it's a vault: I dropped it on concrete standing up, the mark wiped off).

The software is entirely tameable if you do it right. No doubt, it's bulky, it's a resource hog, and it was a glaring mistake on MS part to strangle the user with their ignorant DRM restrictions. THAT SAID, if you buy your music on CDs or acquire it through other means, you're fine. Make sure to disable all the automatic crap (syncing, tagging, etc.) and do nothing through the software but manual sync. Tag your mp3s with "Mp3Tag", dump them in the library, paste in some album art if you want, then dump them on the Zune. Painless.

Feb 22, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #19 of 67
I also very much like the sound of zune. Maybe I am in the minority, but after I spent some time with the desktop software, it is pretty easy to use. There was a learning curve, however.

Feb 22, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #20 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also very much like the sound of zune. Maybe I am in the minority, but after I spent some time with the desktop software, it is pretty easy to use. There was a learning curve, however.

there seems to be a consensus that the software isn't THAT bad. It's not as seamless as say iTunes, Mediamonkey, Winamp, etc. but it can still do what it does, and fairly well.

Feb 22, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #21 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there seems to be a consensus that the software isn't THAT bad. It's not as seamless as say iTunes, Mediamonkey, Winamp, etc. but it can still do what it does, and fairly well.

Hey Folks,

Long time reader, trying to post more. I used to work for M$, just for full disclosure. I had an 5.5G iPod that I ended up trading for the Zune. Here's what I found:

SQ - IPod does lossless, but 320CBR MP3'd on Zune just sound better. Much cleaner background, more bass (noticable on my E4C's)

Size - Not really an issue. Still fits in my pocket just fine.

UI - Love the Zune so much more than IPod. I can click down 3 spots in a list a lot easier than scrolling. More precise IMHO, but that will be your preference.

Features - I Love that I have a Radio built it, I use it at the gym a lot. I'm holding out hope they do something cool with wireless. We'll see. I have very little gapless music and the small pauses don't bug me.

Software - Not a big iTunes fan, not a big Zune software fan. I manage my music with EAC/Foobar2000 and use the Zune software just for sync. Subscriptions are awesome and actually got me to download music. I refuse to pay $1 for a low-quality recording, but I'll pay $15/month for anything and everything I could listen to, then selectively buy better copies of what I like.

In general, as far as V1 products go, I think M$ did a good job. I think the hardware is superior, and a firmware update for lossless/gapless would solve remaining issues there. Then we just need better software.

Irwin

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #22 of 67
so to summarize this thread: ZVM owners suggest the ZVM, Zune owners suggest the Zune, and iPod owners suggest the iPod.

Oh, plus one Gigabeat S owner suggesting the Gigabeat S.

My suggestion, go to a Best Buy or somewhere local that carries both the ZVM and Zune - as I think those were your primary choices - and compare them to one another. It would be preferable if you could temporarily purchase both at the same time, so you could take them home and listen to your own music with your own headphones, to get the best gauge on the SQ.

Most stores like Best Buy have return policies where once you decided on the best player for you, you can return the one you don't want for a refund. But I know that purchasing two DAP's that cost $250-$300 at the same time is brutal on the wallet, so that might not be practical for you.

Good luck!

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #23 of 67
I would think that lack of an audio line out is a pretty big negative factor. If you're using an amp, the Zune is not even an option.

Feb 23, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #24 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're using an amp, the Zune is not even an option.

The Zune has an incredible headphone out, sounds miles better than the Zen Vision's line out and between the HD5 and Karma in terms of agressiveness. This was through a Headphonia Mini Amp (latest opamp).

EDIT: If you're looking for features (Eq, video codecs etc) look for something else. For sound quality the Zune is second only to the Karma (never heard the Kenwoods but have gone through MANY other daps).

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #25 of 67
Zune second to Karma?..OMG ....I bought the Karma's son...
Are you sure ?

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #26 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im not a big fan of the zune. I mean, its main appeal is that you can share music with one another...this is great and all, but for the other person to listen to the music, they have to go online and purchase it. Of course i can see why they do this, but doesnt mean we have to like it.

Another thing is the size of the zune. ITS HUGE, even compared to my fatty ZVM. The screen is much bigger though, prob be better if you watch more movies then listen to music. I havent watched a movie on my ZVM yet. Not that i wouldnt, just atm its full with HQ music =)

I also think the ZVm sounds better, however thats just me. Everyone's ear is different. To each his own.

I had 3 zune's one of each color as I tried to find one that did'nt have a pop when it switched tracks and all did it. I went and got a D2, it's completely silent between tracks as it should be, my Zen M is also a decent sounding player

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #27 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, the zune hardware is better.

The zune, inaddition to having great hardware, also has a great interface on the device itself. Apple could take a few cues from MS in this department.

It all comes down to weather or not you can put up with the pc side zune software. If you can, go with the zune. Theres a bunch on the classifieds right now, including mine.

Actually the Gui is prettier to look at(How much are you staring at your artwork listening to music?) but it takes umpteen back clicks to get where you want to go. The New D2 has a great GUI overlay that can you can access at any time without having to go back a million clicks

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #28 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarpad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually the Gui is prettier to look at(How much are you staring at your artwork listening to music?) but it takes umpteen back clicks to get where you want to go. The New D2 has a great GUI overlay that can you can access at any time without having to go back a million clicks

Holding the back button with automatically take you to the main menu from any screen. Also, what's this about popping between tracks?

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #29 of 67
Well, i just got back from Bestbuy and was playing with my ZVM and the Zune. I really love the screen on the Zune, nice and huge...great for movies or whatever. I do also like the speed of the interface. Its fast and responsive. The sound is OK, to me the ZVM sounds alittle more full in sound. The bass is difference for sure, there is much more of it with the ZVM. Not saying the Zune sounds bad, it actually does sound ok. I think the major appeal of the Zune isnt really the sound (Go figure for a DAP). I think its just the newest device and everyone wants something other then Ipod. I also found that the volume on the ZVM does go slightly higher then the Zune, not by much....and both can get to the point that my ears cant take either. However, the ZVM does get noticeable louder at higher volumes.

Mar 9, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #30 of 67
just got my ZVM and it sounds better than any ipod ive had.. plus cheaper, ive messed with one of my friends zune and it seems to target different crowd than the ZVM.. just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back