Zune vs Vision: M
Feb 20, 2007 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

BigLu89

Head-Fier
my zen touch finally has begun to die after 5 years of a great friendship lol. Both the zune and vision: m seem to be very similar and i think they're both awesome and i cant decide which to get. i know that creative makes quality stuff and that it lasts a long time (i treated the zen touch like crap), but i hear great things about the zune as well. WHAT WILL I EVER DO. you can even suggest other mp3 players in this price range. but, I HATE IPODS, i'll leave it at that.

Feb 20, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 67
Im not a big fan of the zune. I mean, its main appeal is that you can share music with one another...this is great and all, but for the other person to listen to the music, they have to go online and purchase it. Of course i can see why they do this, but doesnt mean we have to like it.

Another thing is the size of the zune. ITS HUGE, even compared to my fatty ZVM. The screen is much bigger though, prob be better if you watch more movies then listen to music. I havent watched a movie on my ZVM yet. Not that i wouldnt, just atm its full with HQ music =)

I also think the ZVm sounds better, however thats just me. Everyone's ear is different. To each his own.

Feb 20, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 67
I've heard bad stories about the Zune mostly the software needed "Zune Marketplace" it's terrible unless they have a workaround you'll end up paying for it. Plus it's Microsoft heh :p doesn't doesn't scratch easily and has good sound quality.

the iPod is good but extremely popular as we all know needs iTunes which is decent but still having to use a program for a player is kinda lame to me. but there is workarounds that work well. the Backing is polished scratches easily but a case or invisible shield does the trick.

The Zen Vision M is probably the best outa the 3 I mentioned but it's very bulky and kinda ugly IMO but it's basically what you probably want. scratches the easiest outa them needs case or invisible shield stuff. worst sound quality out of the 3. lame software not needed
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #4 of 67
SQ: Zune>ZVM>iPod
Size(biggest to smallest): ZVM>Zune>iPod
GUI: Zune>iPod>ZVM
Design: iPod>ZVM>Zune
Features: ZVM> even on iPod and Zune
Software: iPod>ZVM>Zune
Hardware: Zune>ZVM>iPod

All to each own; find your major criterias and see which one is the best for you.

Feb 20, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 67
@prototypex2: the zvm is only a little thicker than the zune, while the zune is much longer.

the GUI's are literally the EXACT same thing. The ZVM's lags a bit more, but that's because of a slower processor.

design is completely opinion. i respect your opinion, though I've gotten tired of the same design from apple.

both the iPod and ZVM work with MediaMonkey, which I'm quick to recommend over any mandatory software.

I have a ZVM. I wouldn't say I love, but it does its job, and does it well. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it over the Zune and the iPod.

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #6 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@prototypex2: the zvm is only a little thicker than the zune, while the zune is much longer.

the GUI's are literally the EXACT same thing. The ZVM's lags a bit more, but that's because of a slower processor.

design is completely opinion. i respect your opinion, though I've gotten tired of the same design from apple.

both the iPod and ZVM work with MediaMonkey, which I'm quick to recommend over any mandatory software.

I have a ZVM. I wouldn't say I love, but it does its job, and does it well. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it over the Zune and the iPod.

If you calculate the actual volume of the two players, you will find that the ZVM is a tad bigger.
Regarding GUI, no, they are not the same. If you actually have had all three players than you will see why. I'm not counting the speed of the processor or the last due to that into this, but the ease and innovativeness of them.
Design is indeed subjective, but who doesn't think the the iPod looks the best out of the bunch? Zune imho is definitely not an eyecandy and between ZVM and iPod, and iPod clearly seems to be the winner if you think about the form factor and the ratio of the lengths and thickness. They have aesthetically the simplest yet most effective design out of the bunch.
No comment on the Mediamonkey because I've never used it, but I'm pretty sure it's better than the Zune software.

Again, I respect your opinion but what I mentioned are the most obvious distinctions between them. The OP can see which one might be the best for him regarding which aspects of the players are more important than others.

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #7 of 67
IMO, the zune hardware is better.

The zune, inaddition to having great hardware, also has a great interface on the device itself. Apple could take a few cues from MS in this department.

It all comes down to weather or not you can put up with the pc side zune software. If you can, go with the zune. Theres a bunch on the classifieds right now, including mine.

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #8 of 67
what're the differences in GUI? I know one think I like about the iPod is it ignores the word 'The' in an Artists name. I don't own all three, but I've played around with it. I believe you that there are, but I forget. refresher?

Feb 21, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #10 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrototypeX2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Twist navigation and visuals to Zune
iPod and ZVM's looks alike but as you've mentioned, ZVM lacks things.

right, i get the zune, but what's the zvm missing. i thought it was good, but then again, that's perfect example of what i know.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #11 of 67
ZVM is the longest battery of all. zune is nice but the SQ of ZVM is much better. i have both and i gave the zune to my brother which he loves. it's really up to you. there are definitely less people with ZVM's because of no advertisement in the US, but it is absolutely great and i love mine to death. the zune definitely looks nice though i have to admit. i would just wait for their next one since it is their first one, it's going to get better...i hope. creative has been making players for a very long time and the ZVM is a very very good player.

Feb 21, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #12 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ZVM is the longest battery of all. zune is nice but the SQ of ZVM is much better. i have both and i gave the zune to my brother which he loves. it's really up to you. there are definitely less people with ZVM's because of no advertisement in the US, but it is absolutely great and i love mine to death. the zune definitely looks nice though i have to admit. i would just wait for their next one since it is their first one, it's going to get better...i hope. creative has been making players for a very long time and the ZVM is a very very good player.

i believe the newer iPod has longer battery, but that might be just for the nano, so I'm not 100% sure. The ZVM has the longest video battery though. From what I've heard, the Zune SQ is superb. I've never really been a fan of the ZVM sound, though it's not too bad. All three are very good players.

Feb 21, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #13 of 67
I own a brown zune, as do three of my friends. The UI is far superior to the Ipod's or ZVM's. Sure you may not use the "send" feature, but who cares? The brown color actually looks good with Audiophile equipment. It looks like the same color as my wallet, much better then bright white, or some other ridiculous color. Also, the ability to change the background is a plus, I constantly change mine to some nice photography. The big screen plays video nicely and is bright.
I also like the ZVM because of how open it is. I had a zen micro and enjoyed it for 3 years until it broke. Also, look at the new Archos players. THye have some nice reviews on cnet and those are supposed to be great.
The zune is still a new product and new firmware releases are promised. I really enjoy mine, and I hope that the mac "fanboy" reviews have not made people think otherwise.

Feb 21, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #15 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
zune is nice but the SQ of ZVM is much better.

I've never used the ZVM, but the zune is regarded as having great SQ. I doubt the SQ of the ZVM is 'much better'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back