Zune HD will have EQ!
Aug 11, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #91 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Eleutherian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the record the HD will also not come with a roto-router attachment, eat babies, or be raspberry flavored.

Not even blue raspberry?

Seriously though, is it going to have gaming capabilities? If it can play Doom, I would give it serious purchase consideration.

Aug 11, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #92 of 164
if Microsoft doesnt put any games on this thing,they sure want their product to fail!They are using the most powerful chip in the pmp market and it should handle way way more complex games than the most complexed games on the ipod/iphone.i hope they just dont use HEXIC as the default game on the zune.i am still holding off from purchasing the sony X so i dont regret if the zune is better.

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #94 of 164
In episode 156 of CNet's MP3 Insider Podcast, they interviewed Brian Seitz from Zune:

MP3 Insider - CNET Reviews

He confirmed that there are games for Zune HD at launch and hinted at more coming as time passes. My personal feeling is that, with more recent confirmation of the XBOX Live moving into other platforms (Kikizo | Xbox Reborn: Shane Kim Interview 2009 (Page 3)), you'll either see integration of that with the Zune and Windows Mobile Phones OR a completely separate 360 portable device. If it's the latter, then I'd guess that gaming on the Zune won't ever be as fully developed as the kind of evolution we are seeing on the iPhone/iTouch platform.

Jeff

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #95 of 164
I appreciate our new MS rep is trying to find out more about the sonic potentials of a product he has been working on. That is to be applauded.
smily_headphones1.gif

However, it appears this kind of research might have been more beneficial say a year ago? Bit late now really.
wink_face.gif

It does concern me that the other person I have conversed with from MS supposedly on the Zune team also showed a total lack of understanding (sound quality wise) beyond catering to 128k mp3 loving teens in skinny jeans and spiky haircuts.

If the trend of lowering standards/basic audio science carries on I reckon we could be down to mono players with those old portable radio earpieces.

"Well kids just dont appear to have the attention span or care for stereo."

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #96 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by daglesj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does concern me that the other person I have conversed with from MS supposedly on the Zune team also showed a total lack of understanding (sound quality wise) beyond catering to 128k mp3 loving teens in skinny jeans and spiky haircuts.

No surprise there. In order to gain market share, they need mass appeal. Higher emphasis on sound quality won't get them there. They are pushing Zune Pass hard and they likely don't see a mass market need to go beyond 192 WMA.

Jeff

Aug 12, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #97 of 164
The rumored prices are pretty appealing to me... I've been a zune fan since the beginning, and if they would just add freaking mac support, this would be a must.

Aug 12, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #98 of 164
64gb and I'm sold!!!! I'll wait a bit to see if that capacity will be released into the wild at the end of the year (holiday season and all), then pounce on it like a starving PUMA!!!!!!

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #99 of 164
Quote:

I appreciate our new MS rep is trying to find out more about the sonic potentials of a product he has been working on. That is to be applauded.
smily_headphones1.gif

Again with this Ms Rep thing ? The guy primarly came here to research about his headphones. He just noticed the thread and happened to disclose where he works. He already stated his intentions and what he can and cannot do or say.

Quote:

However, it appears this kind of research might have been more beneficial say a year ago? Bit late now really.
wink_face.gif

Considering this was not his primary intent That snarky comment was pretty much uncalled for.

Quote:

Can we have some evidence of this ? Even if this was the case maybe you can make an informed purchasing decision based on your assertion to a device suited for your needs ? From the way you are expressing your opinion it i cant blame the guy for possibly regretting disclosing where he works.

Quote:

If the trend of lowering standards/basic audio science carries on I reckon we could be down to mono players with those old portable radio earpieces.

Again pretty much uncalled for ..

Quote:

"Well kids just dont appear to have the attention span or care for stereo."

I dont think we have the attention span or tolerance for snarky and snide comments either..

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #100 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by rgbyhkr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No surprise there. In order to gain market share, they need mass appeal. Higher emphasis on sound quality won't get them there. They are pushing Zune Pass hard and they likely don't see a mass market need to go beyond 192 WMA.

Jeff

Yeah when I mentioned the possibility of getting WMA Pro lossy settings higher than 192k and maybe just a sync tab in WMP so we dont have to use two or more media apps it just caused bafflement.
frown.gif

Apparently the Zune ecosystem has been designed to be 'so super fun and super cool' we should not be able to avoid it. I'm 38 and can well do with out it thanks. I'll have the hardware...not so keen on the software.

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #101 of 164
The one thing I loved about my Cowon X5L that the Zune doesn't do is drag-n-drop support. While I like the Zune, syncing with the official software is a major headache to me so I only update the content stored on the device once every few months. It also doesn't support FLAC so I keep two copies of my entire music collection, one just for the Zune. If MS would do both of these things I think it would make some people very happy.

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #103 of 164
I agree with FLAC support but at the moment it seems unlikely. Glad to have a Microsoft Advocate on the forums though : )

Aug 13, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #104 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by bba1973 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If my Zune 120 had Rockbox, it would be perfect for my needs.

Unfortunately the firmware is encrypted so it's nearly impossible. Why that's acceptable for a device a consumer has bought and paid for is beyond me but I put up with it for the sound quality.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Back to the X5L. Installing Rockbox is as simple as copying some files over and resetting the player while it's plugged in. Done. Zune? Find a supercomputer, break the key in a few decades, jump through all sorts of hoops to get the firmware flashed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back