Zune HD will have EQ!
Aug 9, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #77 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Eleutherian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone taken a stab at it before? You make it sound like there is history here...

There have been attempts, but from what I remember they all ended in ***fail***. If I'm mistaken, I'd love to pair my Zune 120 w/a LOD>Amp combo. And I'd prefer not using the HP out. It works, it's clean audio out, but the LOD would be optimal.

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #79 of 164
You wouldn't have to sell them. All you would need to do is find out if it is possible and release a picture/diagram of the proper pinout of the LOD. From there, the DIY community will just make it for themselves/provide LODs for the rest of us nonDIY.

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #80 of 164
Quote:

Of course if I were to come up with something, selling them would be out of the question. I'm pretty sure that would get me both fired and sued...

Yikes. In that case, I'm sure a tutorial detailing your process (à la ClieOS' diyLOD guide for the Sansa Fuze) would be thoroughly appreciated by the head-fi community -- in the event you manage to get something working, of course.

Aug 10, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #81 of 164
Quote:

Has anyone taken a stab at it before? You make it sound like there is history here...

Let me tell you what I've been able to gather so far. There's a magic pin combination for the sync connector that still hasn't been figured out yet, and it apparently requires an external power supply. The Microsoft A/V dock has both of these, but there is an internal amp in it so you can control the volume with the remote. This amp, though convenient and not necessarily bad-sounding to the masses, degrades the sound. I was able to hook it up to my UHP336's (without using my cmoy). It sounded like an iPod headphone out, but possibly worse. Big downgrade from the headphone out.

An LOD would be a great audiophile Zune accessory. I know you're restricted when talking about Apple, but using an LOD with my iPod (albeit an old one; I paid more for my LOD than my iPod...) is a huge improvement over the headphone out. With the LOD, it sounds alot like my Zune.

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #82 of 164
So, is this the 2nd guy from the Zune Team that does not know the features from their main competition?

heck, he doesnt even know the lineout by using the dock is crippled, the same way as DaveMac doesn't know iPod support lyrics or jetherrealz being a fan of electronic music and not using an iPod with crossfade.

nywytboy68: do you see a trend/pattern with this, right ?

Dude, the attempts failed because MS has the lineout locked to some power-up circuit or something.

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #83 of 164
Hey, cut him some slack Ricardo. He sounds like he's just getting into hi-fi, and you've got to start somewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if members of the iPod team had no idea what an LOD is (or a headphone amp for that matter) or even that the headphone out sounds bad. Sure it would be nice if everyone was an audiophile, especially the makers of DAPs, but it's just not going to happen.

Aug 10, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #86 of 164
Hmmm, I see I'm gonna' need my falme suit and flame proof underoos soon,............

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #87 of 164
Quote:

My hero. :p

Wow. That really means alot coming from Donald Rumsfeld.
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #88 of 164
I would definitely buy LOD for my Zune 80 if such a thing were made possible.

Edit: In case anyone's interested Engadget has photos of the Zune HD's internal components. 16GB and 32GB capacities are confirmed, no mention of 64GB at this point.

I'm waiting for my 160GB version with FLAC support and a working line-out.
tongue.gif

Edit 2: S/PDIF on the dock?

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #89 of 164
This is more venting then anything but...................

If the rumours are true that the 16gb is only coming in at black and the 32gb only in silver, some one needs to have a very very strong word in marketing.

I mean, whose stupid idea is it to put the most desirable colour with the lowest storage capacity?

I know there isn’t anything you can do the eleutharian, but I am very disappointed.

Have keeping track of progress on this avidly for the last 6 months, holding off getting a touch, only to stumble at the last hurdle.

But everything is heresay, so let’s see how things pan out., but things don’t look promising at the moment…….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back