Zune HD will have EQ!
Aug 19, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #151 of 164
Why is it HD video and not HD audio?
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #152 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No custom EQ personally kills the deal for me. Props on the interface though.

While I would love that I'm just really happy the EQ presets are back. What kills it for me is the 32Gb capacity.

Hoping sometime in the future a ZuneHd with 64Gb+ comes out or there is a way to take the thing apart and upgrade the flash storage.

I upgraded my Zune30 to a 100Gb and will not go from 100Gb to 32GB as I have 1TB of lossless audio no way I'm cutting my storage space that much.

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #153 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is it HD video and not HD audio?
biggrin.gif

Every player or every brand has it strength.Sony, Samsung, Microsoft are good at the display technology, So their players usually stress on the display screen. From the name ZUNE HD imply it is selling it's high definitive screen than not high fidelity sound.

On the contrary, the manufacturer of AMP3 called hisoundaudio, the name also imply it is a hi fidelity DAP maker. So AMP3 cancell the color screen, dismission the video function, only provide the purest sound qulity.

So it is clearly, if you need HD video , come to pick Microsoft, Sony, Samsung, if you need hi fi audio, come to picK Hisoundaudio.

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #154 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hoping sometime in the future a ZuneHd with 64Gb+ comes out or there is a way to take the thing apart and upgrade the flash storage.

The flash chips are soldered as is standard for this type of device.

Source: Clear photo of the Zune HD's motherboard.

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #155 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by headfever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every player or every brand has it strength.Sony, Samsung, Microsoft are good at the display technology, So their players usually stress on the display screen. From the name ZUNE HD imply it is selling it's high definitive screen than not high fidelity sound.

On the contrary, the manufacturer of AMP3 called hisoundaudio, the name also imply it is a hi fidelity DAP maker. So AMP3 cancell the color screen, dismission the video function, only provide the purest sound qulity.

So it is clearly, if you need HD video , come to pick Microsoft, Sony, Samsung, if you need hi fi audio, come to picK Hisoundaudio.

What we need is a combo of both, and i'm sure it's possible but no manufacturer has bothered except Sony and Cowon. Despite the X10** and the S9 having superior sound quality and a very good AMOLED display, they don't have the SQ of some players like the AMP3 or Hifiman and i'm sure of it. what i would hope for...is the size and screen of the X, the sound quality of the AMP3. which is well....doesn't exist.

Aug 19, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #156 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif

All Zune supports WMA Lossless.

Thank you for the answers.

Well WMA Lossless doesn't support more than 96KHz as far as I know, few of my LP rips (the more precious ones) are done in 196KHz...

I can live with that (read the note about proprietary format and "give me my money back" MS syndrome), there's majority of DVD audio in 96KHz so it should be sufficient for an "mp3 player", more when it won't support line out, there's no quest for supperior audio quality then... (FLAC hehe)

but they can really surprise and bring it on a table, I guess we all need to wait....

the other missing link is application support, and we all know who's the king here with almost 100 thousands of application sooon...

Aug 19, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #157 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicalbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi folks,

1. will it have Line Out option? (e.g. un-amplified output like iPod Touch have, so I can connect my Ray Samuel's magic there...) Or at least the possibility to switch off internal amplifier (we all know it is the weakest link)?

Silly question from newcomer: why everyone so cares about analogue line out when Zune HD got HDMI digital output?
With box like Gefen HDMI to DVI Video/Audio Zune HDMI out could be converted to Toslink digital out and sent to any high quality external DAC/Amp.
Only HDCP could prevent that. So question is: whether HDCP will be enabled for all content sent via Zune HD HDMI out or it will protect only DRM audio/video?

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #159 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik1976 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Silly question from newcomer: why everyone so cares about analogue line out when Zune HD got HDMI digital output?
With box like Gefen HDMI to DVI Video/Audio Zune HDMI out could be converted to Toslink digital out and sent to any high quality external DAC/Amp.
Only HDCP could prevent that. So question is: whether HDCP will be enabled for all content sent via Zune HD HDMI out or it will protect only DRM audio/video?

I care about analog out (straight from DAC but un-amplified) because there are few of _super_ compact headamps, and from the first pics of Shadow I can tell this will be my new toy (Ray Samuels).
But still, even now you can find very nice DIY amps or some commercial ones with compact sizes which won't do much trouble carrying them.

Try carry a DAC/AMP combo, for that I already have HTPC at home. I don't know of any DAC/AMP with the sizes of FIOO or SR-71...

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #160 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It seems like they use Wolfson's chip. On the left in the middle.

Aug 19, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #161 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by globiboulga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For our Princess

Do you think Steve Balmer is about to come out of the closet?
wink_face.gif

From what they've said, that's for a team member that passed away. So, there's no humor involved w/that.

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #162 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm sure someone will be willing to unsolder and replace the flash chips. I know it will be pricey but so was my 100GB upgrade for my Zune30.

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #163 of 164
Quote:

I'm sure someone will be willing to unsolder and replace the flash chips. I know it will be pricey but so was my 100GB upgrade for my Zune30.

Good luck! BGA packaging for one, and that black goop can't help either. They probably learned from the 360 and decided that BGA chips really should be glued down.

Aug 19, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #164 of 164
Quote:

You can't upgrade the storage capacity, swanlee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back