ZO2 Impression Thread
Jan 28, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #1,111 of 1,126
can you not order it anymore?

Quote:
Anyone have a zo2 they might wanna let go?
wink.gif

Mar 8, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #1,114 of 1,126
I finally got to listen to an actual working Zo2 today, after having to send mine back for repair since it was broken on arrival. Other than digiZoid claiming it is my fault I think they handled the situation pretty well. I won't go into details on the whole RMA situation unless someone is interested.

My first impressions:
I immediately cranked it up to maximum contour level since I consider myself a bass head, but that is just way too much for me. I find that the best contour level is somewhere around 5 depending on the song. Anything above just makes the bass sound bloated on my Ultrasone Pro 900. I'm very impressed with how powerful the device is though. However, I don't think the extra bass adds much to the music. I mean it's nice but primarily a gimmick. The device itself works well as an amp besides the fact that I can hear relatively loud static noise when not playing audio, and this isn't audible when using the E9. I can hear that the noise comes from my pc, so it is not the Zo2 itself that creates the noise, but regardless I don't find it acceptable considering the E9 is able to remove it and that's a relatively cheap amp too.

I'm not going to rate the device since the above are just my first impressions, but to sum up I'm not very impressed. I can see how some might like its audio enhancement features, but to me they are way too exaggerated and kind of a gimmick.

EDIT:
After plugging my E9 back in I can immediately hear how the mids and highs are more pronounced and the soundstage is somewhat better than with the Zo2.

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #1,115 of 1,126

Quote:
I finally got to listen to an actual working Zo2 today, after having to send mine back for repair since it was broken on arrival. Other than digiZoid claiming it is my fault I think they handled the situation pretty well. I won't go into details on the whole RMA situation unless someone is interested.

My first impressions:
I immediately cranked it up to maximum contour level since I consider myself a bass head, but that is just way too much for me. I find that the best contour level is somewhere around 5 depending on the song. Anything above just makes the bass sound bloated on my Ultrasone Pro 900. I'm very impressed with how powerful the device is though. However, I don't think the extra bass adds much to the music. I mean it's nice but primarily a gimmick. The device itself works well as an amp besides the fact that I can hear relatively loud static noise when not playing audio, and this isn't audible when using the E9. I can hear that the noise comes from my pc, so it is not the Zo2 itself that creates the noise, but regardless I don't find it acceptable considering the E9 is able to remove it and that's a relatively cheap amp too.

I'm not going to rate the device since the above are just my first impressions, but to sum up I'm not very impressed. I can see how some might like its audio enhancement features, but to me they are way too exaggerated and kind of a gimmick.

EDIT:
After plugging my E9 back in I can immediately hear how the mids and highs are more pronounced and the soundstage is somewhat better than with the Zo2.

The hissing is caused by the ZO2 when it is on high gain and is almost inaudible when on low gain no matter how high you crank the volume. The E9 doesn't "remove this" it doesn't have it in the first place (or at least to the extent the ZO2 does I've never actually heard it). I will note the amount of hiss varies depending on the headphone used. 

May 25, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #1,120 of 1,126
E17 would be nice :) It is more of an EQ bass boost however. To me, ZO is similar to a DSP imo, I know it isn't, but the way it processes the signal is different to simply some db in the bass region.

May 25, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #1,121 of 1,126
I actually emailed Cindy yesterday about this. Apparently they might be able to tweak it a bit so the hiss it creates is lessened or possibly non-existent. I'm trying to find out a few more details before i go through with it
Quote:
I have used it with Westone3 which uses BA drivers similar to CIEM and it doesnt work as well as it does with Dynamic driver IEM.

May 26, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #1,123 of 1,126
maybe because of the high(er) output impedance? JUst guessing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back