ZO2 Impression Thread
Dec 6, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #752 of 1,126

Quote:
Would it be possible to position the ZO between a Dac and an Amp, in order to take advantage of the bass enchancement, but not double amping? 

It would still be like "double amping" except the real amping comes from the last source, but yeah, it would still take in the bass enhancement of course since it still affected the signal!

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #753 of 1,126

Quote:
What about a desktop version of this amp?, it's a shame it's just meant as a portable amp I have to keep recharging the battery I'd like a mains powered version.

You can buy an USB power adapter which you stick the USB cable into and then plug it directly to the wall socket which I've done as I use it only at my desktop computer. If you never let it become empty it might reduce the battery lifespan I could assume but if you're only planning on using it for stationary use it shouldn't matter. I barely let my ZO1 get empty at all, the ZO2 has so much better battery life so I often let it get completely empty before charging.

But yea ofc I wouldn't say no to a desktop version either but I think digiZoid has probably more customers in the portable amp section. :p

EDIT: I don't think the topic of this thread can be seen as accurate anymore haha, 50+ pages with like 1 page of impressions!

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #754 of 1,126
So I assume testing with revision 3 is going quite well. The unforeseen side effects you are talking about in this case are good? or are we talking about rev1? 

Also, are their no other planned devices besides the ZO line of products to look for in the future? I definitely can agree with my fellow forum members that the information provided about the technology would make us want to hear the FullSpec technology in a device soon. Does the FullSpec technology have any abilities in terms of separating out for out to a 5.1CH or 7.1CH system? Obviously this wouldnt make much sense with a stereo 3.5mm plug, but if the tech were in a device with digital optical out or inside a receiver that would be amazing. 

Also, anyone know when I get my device if I should turn off the Dolby Pro Logic 2 technology on the AUX plug or keep it on. I would think it wouldn't make much difference, but I prefer using the PLII tech when using my iPod for music when I haven't made DVD-A discs for use in my car.

Quote:
Your wish(es) will be granted with ZO2.3!  
biggrin.gif

When the volume control to accommodate for line-out was added, along with the last minute component changes before production, some unforeseen side effects resulted. But, adding the high gain mode has definitely had a positive effect on the overall design... both in respect to the volume levels, as well as the sound signature.

This evening I did some critical listening with the latest rev, and although this is purely a subjective opinion, I felt as though it had a much tighter and harder hitting bass response than any of the previous ZOs (including ZO1), as well as an improved level of clarity. In fact, I personally feel as though it has some of the same characteristics as the SmartVektor FullSpec technology!

L3000.gif

Shhhh.......We're learning about FullSpec Technology(Just kidding). And some of us are waiting on the ZO2 rev.3.

EDIT: I don't think the topic of this thread can be seen as accurate anymore haha, 50+ pages with like 1 page of impressions!

Still, the point of an impressions thread was met when the members of the company producing it are listening to complains. This is more of a lul at the current time because of the imminent revision soon to come out. 

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #755 of 1,126
Quote:
You can buy an USB power adapter which you stick the USB cable into and then plug it directly to the wall socket which I've done as I use it only at my desktop computer. If you never let it become empty it might reduce the battery lifespan I could assume but if you're only planning on using it for stationary use it shouldn't matter. I barely let my ZO1 get empty at all, the ZO2 has so much better battery life so I often let it get completely empty before charging.

But yea ofc I wouldn't say no to a desktop version either but I think digiZoid has probably more customers in the portable amp section. :p

I do have a usb power adaptor, but like you said this isn't good for the battery I have the ZO 1 which I have connected to my emu 0404 usb 3.5mm pre-out I am using it as a desktop amp I can't be without it I like what it does to the sound, I would really like a digizoid desktop amp.

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #756 of 1,126

Quote:
I do have a usb power adaptor, but like you said this isn't good for the battery I have the ZO 1 which I have connected to my emu 0404 usb 3.5mm pre-out I am using it as a desktop amp I can't be without it I like what it does to the sound, I would really like a digizoid desktop amp.

Yea I don't think I could ever go back to being ZOless again either, I'd say it makes it sound more like speakers than headphones, more forward/dynamic sounding.

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #758 of 1,126

Quote:
hey rpg, any idea how the ultrasone's 580 compare to d2000?

Haven't tried them, but D2000 has better bass extension but 580 might have a little more impact in the bass as what I've gathered it's somewhat midbass focused. Both have somewhat recessed midrange, D2000 maybe very tiny bit less so and both have slightly emphasized highs (ie. both are somewhat gentle V-shaped sound signatures so they doesn't sound muddy whatsoever). But I'd need to hear them for myself to know for sure, this is just based on what I've read. wind016 seems to insist that the HFI-580 responds nicely to EQing too, at least with the bass. I haven't tried them out cuz I'm pretty sure it's not quite the sound signature I like, as I like warmer sound, D5000 might be perfectly OK to me tho as a warmer sounding D2000 but it's a bit expensier too.

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #759 of 1,126

Quote:
Haven't tried them, but D2000 has better bass extension but 580 might have a little more impact in the bass as what I've gathered it's somewhat midbass focused. Both have somewhat recessed midrange, D2000 maybe tiny bit less so and both have slightly emphasized highs (ie. both are somewhat gentle V-shaped sound signatures so they doesn't sound muddy whatsoever). But I'd need to hear them for myself to know for sure, this is just based on what I've read. wind016 seems to insist that the HFI-580 responds nicely to EQing too, at least with the bass.

I dont know much from EQing since ive never done it really...and the thing is the d2000 costs friggin double or more than the 580...i think ill just get the 550 pros used for 110 bucks...

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #761 of 1,126

Quote:
What about a desktop version of this amp?, it's a shame it's just meant as a portable amp I have to keep recharging the battery I'd like a mains powered version.

You can keep it plugged in via usb to keep it charging. I really see no issue here.

Dec 6, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #763 of 1,126

Quote:
Also, anyone know when I get my device if I should turn off the Dolby Pro Logic 2 technology on the AUX plug or keep it on. I would think it wouldn't make much difference, but I prefer using the PLII tech when using my iPod for music when I haven't made DVD-A discs for use in my car.

I'd say you have no reason to turn it off.  I use my ZO for gaming all the time and it works so well with the dolby digital 5.1 signal, can't imagine it wouldn't work just as well with your setup.

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #765 of 1,126

I can make out those headphones, but what is between the line out and the ZO?
Quote:

I was just messing around and decided to give this a shot.  Incredible soundstage with this setup.  
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back