ZO2 Impression Thread
Nov 27, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #453 of 1,126

Quote:
My v2 came the other day. It is more like the product I hope for it to be. The first version was just....idk what to say. Haha.

So volume levels are fine for you now? It's still providing some amping if set to higher volume, I mean it goes louder than not using the amp right?

Nov 27, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #454 of 1,126
Any more on this weaker amping thing? They are scheduled to get my RMA tomorrow and of course this popped up over the weekend!

W/O enough amping and just contour it is not gonna work it's best. Both ZO's have an amp in there for a reason. I'm sure the bass staying quick and tighter, the bigger stage, and extra detail come in good part due to the extra juice. I don't think I wanna hear it w/o enough power. I can imagine it sounding a bit sluggish and too compressed unless you double amp. I also hope they didn't go too far the other way. 

I was liking some of the so-called improvements they listed but now I may just regret sending it back. I could still contact them though and get mine back. Uuggghh!!

Nov 27, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #455 of 1,126
Sorry for asking this again but has anyone gotten a refund on the return shipping yet?

They are taking a very long time to reply to my email (they are probably busy). But I think this question is important for international customers.

Thanks

Nov 27, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #456 of 1,126
Nevermind, still curious about if any1 else has this problem with low volume or not. Doesn't seem to be the case with au5t3n5 I assume or else he had probably complained. I should get my "fixed" ZO2 batch shipped out soon, maybe monday if I'm lucky.

Nov 27, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #457 of 1,126

What is the problem with low volume? Let me know so I can check for it. I haven't been quite up to date on the thread. I went home for the weekend and didn't have must listening time because it was family time. The nasty pop/hiss has mostly been resolved, and it is just acting like I was hoping it would before the fixed update. 
Quote:
Nevermind, still curious about if any1 else has this problem with low volume or not. Doesn't seem to be the case with au5t3n5 I assume or else he had probably complained. I should get my "fixed" ZO2 batch shipped out soon, maybe monday if I'm lucky.

Nov 27, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #458 of 1,126

Quote:
What is the problem with low volume? Let me know so I can check for it. I haven't been quite up to date on the thread. I went home for the weekend and didn't have must listening time because it was family time. The nasty pop/hiss has mostly been resolved, and it is just acting like I was hoping it would before the fixed update. 

Well neuromancer posted on the previous page that his "fixed batch" ZO2 gave him even lower volume than not using the ZO2 at all like if there was no working amp in it even if he set the ZO2 to max volume. Are you getting at least equally loud or preferably louder volume with this ZO2 than not using it at all? I think he was comparing it with Ipod Touch with LOD+ZO2 vs just Ipod Touch HO and no ZO2. Unsure what's the case if plugging ZO2 to the HO, I doubt it will be weaker then at least.

Nov 27, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #460 of 1,126
Using an LOD the Zo v2 does not get as loud as my iPod classic. But maybe it is because the iPod just sounds more shrill than anything that comes out of the Zo...I think that the iPod headphone out is louder regardless, but that shrillness might be a reason why it might appear much louder than it really is. I tested it with some SRH440s and an LOD I had on my desk (I refuse to test using IEM's) and I could listen to it max volume on the Zo if I wanted (like it wouldn't be torture) but I just couldn't on the iPod. I didn't want to throw the headphones off right away, but it was a little uncomfortable and didn't want to subject myself to it.

But in all honesty, you shouldn't be using it that loud anyway. If you have serious cans to drive, you probably have other stuff to amp it with anyway. 

Sorry to disappoint. It doesn't matter much to me since it can provide me with listening levels that I am used to and even a bit more. I guess maybe not as loud as others like though.

Nov 27, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #461 of 1,126
I saw that updated this. I can try LOD v HO in a few minutes. I threw my d4 between the ipod and zo via LOD and am checking to see if it even makes a difference because i swapped the opamps on the d4 to my preferred sound signature.

Quote:
Well neuromancer posted on the previous page that his "fixed batch" ZO2 gave him even lower volume than not using the ZO2 at all like if there was no working amp in it even if he set the ZO2 to max volume. Are you getting at least equally loud or preferably louder volume with this ZO2 than not using it at all? I think he was comparing it with Ipod Touch with LOD+ZO2 vs just Ipod Touch HO and no ZO2. Unsure what's the case if plugging ZO2 to the HO, I doubt it will be weaker then at least.

Edit: I tested it out, HO v LOD is the same. It does it a tad bit louder with the D4 in the loop, but that is double amping not any different that I would have guessed. I just checked again and without the zo, the output from iPod w/LOD + D4 is a zillion times louder than when you add the ZO after the D4. This is with max volume on the zo and adjusting the volume on the D4. It actually tames the output from the D4 significantly. Max D4+Max Zo is just as loud as the D4 alone at 12 o clock.

So a quick summary would based off a few seconds to a minute at each level would be:

iPod w/LOD + D4 > iPod w/LOD + Zov2 + D4 > iPod w/ LOD + D4 + Zov2 > iPod HO > iPod w/LOD + ZOv2 = iPod w/HO + Zov2

Volume Key:

Red = Significantly louder
Blue = Slight difference, negligible
Geen = Audible difference
Pink = About the same

I still think LOD + Zov2 is loud enough for the casual listening anyway. I did this testing pretty quickly, so if I am wrong and someone would like to point that out, please do so.  

A conclusion would be the Zo if anything tames input. It tames HO from both the iPod and iPod + D4. It even tames LOD from the iPod. Compensating by double amping with the D4 and Zo is only a slightly improvement because the ZO still tames the loud D4 input. Even putting the D4 after the Zo is less loud than the D4 alone. This must mean that regardless of HO or LOD, the Zo makes the output volume less of what actually goes into it.

TL; DR Any input, HO or LOD, that goes into the Zo comes out less loud. Amp much?

I hope this helps!

Quote:
It could be defective or maybe an issue with the HO? Can he try a different DAP to test with?

I do not have another DAP. I have some DAC/amps but no DAPs. Sorry!

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #462 of 1,126
This whole episode reminds me of the story of Goldilocks - apparently Digizoid cant seem to get the porridge 'just right' for many of you. Glad I've held onto my 'too loud' ZO2 - I dont know if I've simply found the sweet spot, but I am happy using it from the LO with my 150-ohm ESW9. No hiss, no problems at all - just beautiful, beautiful music.

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #463 of 1,126
I actually like the fixed updated version more. It provides me with enough volume plus I only got it for the SmartVektor technology, not the amp. It isn't worlds different than iPod HO, and not many people listen to music that loud. You shouldn't anyway. 

Quote:
This whole episode reminds me of the story of Goldilocks - apparently Digizoid cant seem to get the porridge 'just right' for many of you. Glad I've held onto my 'too loud' ZO2 - I dont know if I've simply found the sweet spot, but I am happy using it from the LO with my 150-ohm ESW9. No hiss, no problems at all - just beautiful, beautiful music.

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #464 of 1,126
Well it just sounds a little weird since the original ZO1 already provided a significant volume boost to anything you plugged it, I think something like going from 35~38% without ZO1 to like 12~13% with ZO1 with a XB500 and either Audigy 2 ZS or Realtek HD onboard as source and with ZO2 it was like if set ZO2 to max volume the source had to be set to 11%, so it was a little louder than ZO1 too. Now if I'll have to start up the volume to like 45% that sounds like a rather drastic change to the configuration. I'm sure the optimal volume/output levels say if we take my particular setup as an example, if ZO2 at max volume had provided about the same volume as 35~38% without ZO2 with maybe around 22~25% with ZO2 (which would be still twice as high as what ZO1/early ZO2 had to be put but that would probably be enough for it to make it usable with LOD or lower the hissing levels to levels where it's not much of an issue). Sounds like there's still some tweaking to do for future ZO products to find the golden middlepath which is usually the way to go to fit with as many setups as possible. For me this isn't an issue at all but I'm looking at those people who bought ZO2 also for its amping...

But yea I vote adjustable gain tweaked for Low gain = 8~64ohm IEM/headphone use and High gain = >64ohm headphone use for ZO3. For $100 "amp" you should try to aim for at least ~150 ohm headphone possible use, you don't necessarily have to make 250 ohm compatible at this price class but yea at least 150 ohm if we have a look at the competitors products and taking into account ZO does offer SmartVektor but I don't think SmartVektor alone can be sold for $100, for me personally yes, I love that SmartVektor sound so much but I don't see it going to be a success for $100 if it doesn't at least provide some decent amping capabilities as well. I'm just a little worried, I want ZO to be a success so.

Nov 27, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #465 of 1,126
a'right, time for some short impressions, this is an impressions thread after all.

First, my version is the first batch and I havent send it back, and I wont.

Tried the ZO2 always with my rockboxed clip+ and in flat eq only, it was too loud for any player's LO I could plug it in.

Clip+ > ZO2 > UE TF10

Hiss. nothing serious.
with the Zo in red, I've never heard bass like this, earth shaking. I found myself looking around thinking Godzilla was coming. not mu cup f tea, I kept it green to light orange and it was fine.
soundstage remains to same to my ears, actually I feel nothing else get affected, but as I said, too much bass, I am not a basshead.

Now the the point, I bought the Zo2 to use it with my on-ear portables

clip+ and Zo2 with beyerdynamic DT1350, sennheiser HD25, V-Moda m80.

Clip+ > Zo2 > V-Moda M80

Hiss, nothing to cry about but noticeable only when no music is playing.
this is the best match so far, it gives the M80 ( a light bass, light treble headphone) a more full body sound, it increase the punch and bass amount, obviously. doesnt seem to affect the mid and upper range in a noticeable way.

dark orange is the most I can handle, usually the transition from yellow to orange works for me.

Clip+ > Zo2 > Senn HD25

Hiss the most of the three, but it still goes away when music is playing, the hiss seems to fade in quiet passages too.
HD25 is already my bass-limit headphone, not a bassy headphone but the perfect equilibrium between too much and perfect for me. with ZO to light yellow the punch goes insanely hard hitting and the bass start to become boomy, over the green scale is just mufled, specially the voices, they become too warm. on the good side, if you hate the HD25 for its harsh treble, the Zo2 can veil that out.

Clip+ > Zo2 > Beyer DT1350

I can only notice the hiss when I press the cups hard onto my ears and no music is playing.
To my surprise, the DT1350's box-like sound seems to be less marked with the ZO and make the sound more full (I've always thought the DT1350 lacks body). bass quantity really grows but somehow the punch remains the same, tight but very subtle. the mids gets afected the more on this one, usually transparent and clear, they become warmer and even burried in the bass.
all shades of orange worked OK for me in the DT1350. this is the main reason I bought the Zo for and I have to say it fulfilled the task to give the DT1350 more body and make it to finally deliver some bass.

Conclusion: Clip+ & Zo2 is one powerful little package but I am not sure the Zo2 is the best option in amplification + bass boost in the pricerange, I havent try anything else but there must be something better. the bigger lus here is the capability of the Zo to boost bass volume gradually and not only with a single key tagged "bass boost: ON/OFF"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back