ZO2 Impression Thread
Nov 11, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #241 of 1,126

First Impressions: Wow these are amazing. The ZO2 shines with electronic music.

In regard to some people ranting about the "hiss", YES you can hear the static although it's not audible with both of my cans. Switching to my Etymotic HF5's, the static is very noticeable, almost to the point where it becomes annoying. It looks like I might have to send it in for repair because of the defect. Still though, at $100, you can't beat the price.

Nov 11, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #243 of 1,126

Quote:
Back on topic.
I have just received an email for Digizoid that they have identified the issue with the ZO v2, I strongly assume it's regarding the hiss and the high volume output when using LO,  they can accept returns to repair this or they can honor their return policy.  So it seems that anyone's issues/worries with their purchase, one way or another will/can be solved fairly quick.

I've heard the flux capacitor is to blame, apparently it is putting too much energy on the headphone out.

Nov 11, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #244 of 1,126
Maybe we Aussies can send batches back to them... :S Or they send the item back by express.

No I have not recieved my zo. I was just asking whether the volume attenuator should be placed before or after the zo, if I must use the line out and some sensitive iems.

Nov 12, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #250 of 1,126
I was hoping for a wave of original Zo's for sale once this launched.  Doesnt seem like thats gonna happen with all the hissing
angry_face.gif

Nov 12, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #252 of 1,126

Quote:
Just checking because on another thread someone had trouble with Pro 900s bass quality on higher levels and had to keep it on the lowest level

The question is more why you want to raise it more? :p Most of my bassy headphones sound best if set to lvl 2-3 on ZO1 or ZO2 lvl 1-2, above that bass gets a little excessive, it doesn't sound bad it just gets excessive IMO. While I could for example max bass on XB500 without it distorting it's just way over the top, like putting the ear next to a sub. xD ZO is more responsive to set source volume it seems though, at least if you use the headphone jack, the lower source volume set the less likely to distort, since I get like plenty of volume at like 11 - 13% with XB500 it's no trouble maxing the ZO and it won't distort, it might not allow that on 30~50% volume though for example with a hard to drive headphone. I believe this is partly kx mixer's fault though. Then I have no idea how it reacts if WASAPI/ASIO is used as I can't use it when I lack an external volume control (way too high volume levels for it to be usable). 

It depends a bit on the source as well how good it sounds while boosted. Currently listening to ZO1 maxed out for testing purposes on XB500 using Realtek HD onboard (since I have to use the onboard sound to get normal volume levels in Elder's Scrolls Skyrim due to some bug) and it doesn't sound THAT bad, the mids and highs are totally unaffected while no bass is played too so that's nice. Unusually controlled and not a single-note bass I still hear the upper and deep bass notes separated if playing hardstyle for example despite it feels like I've got 2x8" subs strapped on my head (after all we're probably talking about like 25dB bass boost over mids here as XB500 got like 15dB boost of its own). I'm really suprised how much ZO improves Realtek onboard, it turns it into into another sound card device, from a bit annoying to use, to very acceptable sound quality.

Man you should hear or more like feel how ridiculous this sounds like with XB500 + ZO at max:

If you've sat in a proper car setup with at least one properly powered good 10 - 15" sub it feels the same thing is going on in my head now, it's like sitting in a windtunnel from the 20 ~ 35Hz goodness. And the best thing is the vocals are still very clear, just a little silent compared to the bass. :p Would love to see the face of a typical Beats owner that's of the opinion more bass = the better when he'd hear this without telling him about ZO. Even stock XB500 seems basshy in comparision after you've listened 10 mins to this.

Nov 12, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #253 of 1,126

Quote:
I was hoping for a wave of original Zo's for sale once this launched.  Doesnt seem like thats gonna happen with all the hissing
angry_face.gif

Yep - fingers are undoubtedly closing tightly around the original ZOs - you might find one in the Smithsonian, but thats about it. 

Nov 12, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #254 of 1,126
I'd also use it with my mobos built-in Realtek "card" since i don't see the point of getting PCI(-e) sound card (for me) and when mobile from my iPhone 4 (all either 320kbp or apple lossless). But for me there can never be enough bass. Once I got the XB100s my first impression was: "Meh, thats it?". And since then I've been on a search for moar bass. 
Basically what I am looking for is either this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4EQbnWW-l4 , or XB1000 bass in IEMs whichever comes first : D. Overkill, maybe for you, for me, not so much. But i hope ZO will bring me closer to bass nirvana.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back