ZO2 Impression Thread
Nov 8, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #93 of 1,126

Quote:
Do you know if the zoo would have any problems powering a 32 ohm headphone?

I think the zoo is more into exotic animals then headphones but give it a shot
tongue.gif

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #94 of 1,126

Quote:
Damn. Not happy to read that. The hiss of the ZO1 was its worst flaw IMO, next to the loud on/off click.

Yeah I'm upset too. The hiss is almost the same as the ZO1. I have only tried it with my sm3s. I would say the the ZO2 has some minor improvements but not worth the upgrade from the ZO1 unless you need the volume control. ......or hate shiny plastics and scratches.

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #97 of 1,126
So guys, noticing any changes in the sound and the contour levels? I will know for sure tomorrow myself.

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #98 of 1,126
I'm not sure why I need to buy an impedance adapter in addition to the Zo v2. I shouldn't have to worry about 3rd party fixes on my side on a NEW UPDATED product.

Sure it solves the problem, but we as consumers shouldn't have to be doing our own DIY fixes. 

Quote:
Guys you're jumping the gun. The hissing problem you're all complaining about is annoying but it's quite an easy fix and it's not even overly expensive to fix. All you need is an impedance adapter you can find them for cheap in plug form HERE on eBay. You can even get one in cord form if you so choose. Yes it sucks in that it's one more thing you have to remember to take with you but it fixes the problem.

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #99 of 1,126
RPG,   Yes there is a very noticeable change in the sound and contour levels, most of it is very good, but as reported if you get too loud and higher the level you go, you start to hear distortion.  Otherside of it I guess it all depends what you are listening too.

Regarding the popping and clicking, even with the ZO2 volume all the way down, you still hear it.  What I find kinda bothersome is before you turn the ZO off you have the bring the volume all the way down, otherwise you get this popping sound in your ear ......

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #100 of 1,126
So you don't care if it hisses? That is fine, but there's no need to tell people who are concerned about there being added distortion to the background to pipe it. I don't know the ZO demographics, but I'd be willing to bet more than half of the people eyeing the ZO are wanting to use it with IEMs. I second, third, and forth the motion to regulate gain because the added noise should not be something you have to tough out. With that said, I ran around campus today listening to my ZO + W4 and found that because of the lack of total isolation in my W4 (the case with most IEMs) the outside noise slightly masks the ZO hiss. A plus for me as I never listen to my IEMs at home, except for last night to post my initial impressions a few pages back. Otherwise, I am happy with the added effects, so far. I haven't had a chance to A/B them with Cowon BBE though.

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #101 of 1,126

Quote:
RPG,   Yes there is a very noticeable change in the sound and contour levels, most of it is very good, but as reported if you get too loud and higher the level you go, you start to hear distortion.  Otherside of it I guess it all depends what you are listening too.

What volume level? The lower you put your source (and the higher you can put on the ZO2 instead) the higher you can go on ZO without distorting. I can go to max level on both my HTF600 and XB500 despite they already got such a strong bass out of box if using vol level around 30% for my soundcard. But using ZO at max level with such bassy headphones is nothing I'd ever end up using, it almost blurs my vision with XB500. :p

With ZO1 I tend to prefer either the first or 2nd boosted level, it just seems to me the soundstage is the most satisfying then, the higher you go the more "up-front" sound you're getting so you lose some width and depth.

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #102 of 1,126
Honestly a large amount of hiss is unacceptable in a ~$100 amp, especially after the E7 was released...that one had virtually no hiss.  Hiss really bothers me...of course opinions may and clearly do differ on this, but to me, a whole bunch of hiss isn't a good thing.

Still though, some headphones don't suffer from hiss much.  For example, my T50RPs don't seem to hiss no matter what I plug them into, even if it's an old vintage amp that hisses like crazy with all of my other headphones.

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #103 of 1,126
Well, luckily there is not a lot of hiss even though unanimous reports of noise may make it seem louder than it really is. I don't know if anyone can express the low level of noise in terms that a majority can understand. I'm just saying it's there. Plugged in my T50RPs though and you're right, no hiss. It seems like this is something the IEM crowd has to put up with, or not at all.

Nov 8, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #104 of 1,126
I'm with dfkt on this - DigiZoid would have received plenty of feedback from the owners of sensitive IEMs re the flaws in the ZO1, and if they havent fixed said flaw for the ZO2 I consider that a poor showing. Granted, hiss is unlikely to impact me to the same extent, but these guys should know that a large chunk of their market will be people who have invested an obscene amount in custom IEMs and the like - these folk arent going to just say 'Oh, OK, so it hisses - I'm fine with that !' ........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back