ZO2 Impression Thread
Jan 5, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #1,051 of 1,126
I just received my Zo2, but I just can't get it to work properly.

The only sound I can get out of it is very low, distorted, and aligned to the left only.

I have tried different cables with no luck.

Do I have a faulty Zo2?

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #1,052 of 1,126

Quote:

The only sound I can get out of it is very low, distorted, and aligned to the left only.

Do I have a faulty Zo2?

Sounds like you just haven't plugged the cables in thoroughly (with new devices it can be somewhat stiff plugging in the very last bit at first), as then it happens that you get only one side and low "distant" sounding sound.

I'm really enjoying mine, now with the low and high gain and especially how the bass boost contour levels are now perfectly configured at the lower levels. Thanks again digiZoid for listening to our feedback/criticism!

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #1,053 of 1,126

Quote:
Sounds like you just haven't plugged the cables in thoroughly (with new devices it can be somewhat stiff plugging in the very last bit at first), as then it happens that you get only one side and low "distant" sounding sound.

I'm really enjoying mine, now with the low and high gain and especially how the bass boost contour levels are now perfectly configured at the lower levels. Thanks again digiZoid for listening to our feedback/criticism!

I'm telling you this is not the case.. I've secured the cable properly. I've even gone overboard and tried to force the cable further in but it's just not possible. I've tried other cables. I've tested all the cables I've tried with other devices and they all work just fine. I've tried high impedance mode and low impedance mode. I've tried different sources (all headphone out). I've tried turning the volume down on each source and up on each source. I've tried various contour profiles. I've tried different headphones. I've tried with charging and without charging while playing. The issue is persistent through all of this.

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #1,055 of 1,126

Quote:
I'm telling you this is not the case.. I've secured the cable properly. I've even gone overboard and tried to force the cable further in but it's just not possible. I've tried other cables. I've tested all the cables I've tried with other devices and they all work just fine. I've tried high impedance mode and low impedance mode. I've tried different sources (all headphone out). I've tried turning the volume down on each source and up on each source. I've tried various contour profiles. I've tried different headphones. I've tried with charging and without charging while playing. The issue is persistent through all of this.

Quote:
Have you tested other headphones/cables?

Jan 5, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #1,056 of 1,126
smells like a defective unit... :\

Jan 5, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #1,059 of 1,126

Quote:

Do I have a faulty Zo2?

I cannot plug in any aftermarket cables with mine.  It doesn't stay in.  I can only use smaller cheaper cables that's included or the likes of Fiio supplied cables.  I've noticed the headphone out is slightly recessed but I'm not about to ship it back a third time.   

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #1,060 of 1,126

Quote:
I cannot plug in any aftermarket cables with mine.  It doesn't stay in.  I can only use smaller cheaper cables that's included or the likes of Fiio supplied cables.  I've noticed the headphone out is slightly recessed but I'm not about to ship it back a third time.   

The recessed jacks are 'normal' for all ZO's.  Zoid recommends using 'ipod style' plugs with an extra extension on the plug like the plugs on the cables they supplied w/your ZO. I wish their jacks weren't recessed too.

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #1,061 of 1,126

Quote:
The recessed jacks are 'normal' for all ZO's.  Zoid recommends using 'ipod style' plugs with an extra extension on the plug like the plugs on the cables they supplied w/your ZO. I wish their jacks weren't recessed too.

So how are you liking your unit burtomr? I just can't get into it. Really wanted to hear it as everyone else is though :frowning2:

I think since all my IEMs/Cans are quite emphasized on the bass department that it really just doesn't benefit me.

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #1,062 of 1,126

Quote:
So how are you liking your unit burtomr? I just can't get into it. Really wanted to hear it as everyone else is though :frowning2:

I think since all my IEMs/Cans are quite emphasized on the bass department that it really just doesn't benefit me.

Ditto, especially since I got my Studio-V....Bass Kaaa-Bammm! 

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #1,065 of 1,126
In high gain mode it seems the ZO2.3 has slightly less forward mids than ZO2.1 but in low gain ZO2.3 seem to have even very tiny bit more forward midrange than ZO2.1 in that aspect when I'm plugging to the headphone jack on my soundcard and volume match as closely as possible and bass is adjusted to be equally strong.

Would be nice to know why high and low gain differs in sound signature like that. 
tongue.gif
 But yea I'm enjoying ZO2.3 in low gain the most, followed by ZO2.1 and then ZO2.3 in high gain or ZO1 (about equal). Also I find it interesting that I can set volume level to 100% on the soundcard with low gain and lower the volume on foobar2000 so it won't be too loud and even use the max contour level and it won't distort.... so yea seems gain is also related to source volume level as in how easy it'll distort with the contour levels, at least with low gain it doesn't seem to be any issue with distortion, high gain is too loud for my headphones to try out with a bit higher source volume level.

I would say also that the higher the source volume, the higher SmartVektor effect (more bass, more mids & highs = basicly whole range gets a bigger boost, sounds more dynamic, soundstage is better => SmartVektor effect increased) as it seemed VERY bassheavy at max contour level if put source volume to 100% and lowering foobar2000 volume bar to suitable levels with low gain with these M-Audio Q40 headphones. So I would actually encourage people to use low gain if possible (meaning you got like lower than about 80~100 ohm headphone which is probably whereabouts the limit for low gain goes or use IEMs).

Now one last thing I'd want to know if MizMoxie (well more like Paul) could give an answer on this perhaps is if ZO2.1 you referred to "2-stage amping" whether or not this ZO2.3 still uses that or it's more like ZO1 now, if ZO2.3 uses similar kind of setup as ZO1 this would also explain the differences regarding ZO2.1 vs ZO2.3 as it seems the stronger signal feed to the whatever config ZO uses to process/handle the signal the way it does the greater SmartVektor effect. So playing around with different opamp (pre-amp) components (they usually all cost like $2 ~ $20 but sometimes a $5 one can work better than a $10+ one for example so the cost isn't always a good indicator) might be worth looking into for ZO3 as I have a feeling they can do a huge difference to the sound in this ZO config.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back