ZO2 Impression Thread
Dec 17, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #902 of 1,126

Quote:
Good luck with that - I was initially going to ship my ZO2 to Voldemort to see if he would run the dScope over the thing, but I've since realised how good it is with music and movies. 

To anyone asking if the ZO2 will drive the RE262, as long as your source has a reasonable amount of grunt, the answer is yes. I am listening to this combination as I type this:

T51 -> ZO2V1 -> RE262

Its a good combination, IMO, but I've lost track of the gain situation with the V3 - the V1 has plenty of gain for the RE262. 

The portables would be J3 and Clip+, and soon a DAC, straight from PC, to use with RE262. I'm just waiting for FiiO to release E17, then I will decide on wich DAC I will put my money. Thanks for the help!

Dec 18, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #904 of 1,126

Quote:
The original ZO had an output impedance of 0.2. I doubt the new one would jump 6 ohms. 

I don't have the original ZO to measure and I don't know if the changes they are currently making for the version 3 will change the output impedance, but the ZO2 version 1 that I had measured 6.2 ohms. Maybe they will put their measurements on their website for the ZO2 like for the original ZO but if they do I would bet that they would be for the final ZO2 v3 and not any of the in-between versions. I have previously measured the output impedance of the ibasso D10, TTVJ Slim, headstage Arrow 12he and some other devices and my measurement matched the manufacturers spec on all of them so I don't think I've made a mistake but nobody's perfect.

Dec 18, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #908 of 1,126

Quote:
I don't have the original ZO to measure and I don't know if the changes they are currently making for the version 3 will change the output impedance, but the ZO2 version 1 that I had measured 6.2 ohms. Maybe they will put their measurements on their website for the ZO2 like for the original ZO but if they do I would bet that they would be for the final ZO2 v3 and not any of the in-between versions. I have previously measured the output impedance of the ibasso D10, TTVJ Slim, headstage Arrow 12he and some other devices and my measurement matched the manufacturers spec on all of them so I don't think I've made a mistake but nobody's perfect.

Thanks for putting in the time and effort to do this - can you tell us what gear you used to run the measurements ? (If only we all had a dScope and knew how to use it 
mad.gif
)

Dec 18, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #910 of 1,126

Quote:
For shipping unfinished product ?

Welcome to the reality of owning the initial release of a new product...especially typical of electronics and cars.

At least digiZoid is updating for free including 1/2 the shipping.

Your choice next time is simple: wait till the product has been out for a while>>if you can<<<...it's not so easy to do.

Dec 18, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #911 of 1,126

Quote:
Thanks for putting in the time and effort to do this - can you tell us what gear you used to run the measurements ? (If only we all had a dScope and knew how to use it 
mad.gif
)

I have access to a Tektronics Oscilloscope and a signal generator. First you provide a 1Khz sinewave at about 150mv  input to the device (the ZO 2) and adjust the ZO 2 output so you get 400mv of signal without any load. Then load the output with a small resistor (10.1 ohms in my case) and measure the voltage. The output impedance is calculated by first calculating the current which is the loaded voltage divided by 10.1 ohms. Then multiplying this current by the difference of the "no load voltage" and the "loaded voltage"  ( 400mv - loaded voltage) equals the impedance. 
I measured 248mv across the 10.1 ohms so the current was 248mv/10.1 = 24.55ma
So the impedance is (400mv - 248mv) / 24.55ma  or  152mv / 24.55ma = 6.19 ohms
You just need to make sure that the output is not overloaded , which is why only 400mv  and 10 ohms isused. 

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #913 of 1,126

Quote:
So no chance to pair it with BA IEMs as I've heard that you need the output impedance to be less than 1ohm. Correct or...?

Well as long as they have fixed this issue with the ZO2 Rev 3 I could care less. But I still know what you mean by the impedance offsetting BA. Does impedance change with high gain? I thought it did. Using high gain with my TF10s offsets the balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back