ZO2 Impression Thread
Nov 9, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #136 of 1,126

Quote:
I've just recieved mine. I have some simple words.  What MAN TOO LOUD TURN THEM SH**S DOWN

I don't know about you but I'm so worried about the volume levels when trying out a new amp or source or whatever I usually put the volume automaticly to the lowest level before playing something and if I don't do that I'd at least never stick my headphones on before I've played something while not wearing them to make sure it's not scaringly loud. ^^

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #137 of 1,126
Well, I just received my ZO2 and I have to say I'm disappointed. First thing I noticed when I took it out of the box was a bubble on the rubber finish. I decided to overlook it, but when I turned on the unit I experienced the 2 major complaints from people here, namely the hiss and loud volume with LO. I usually listen to music at low volumes, usually <15% on my DAP, and with LO the sound coming from the ZO with volume on min was much higher than what I could listen to. Hiss is a pet peeve of mine, but after so much anticipation for the ZO I was willing to accept some hissing on my IEMs after reading the impressions in this thread. What I didn't expect was for it to hiss coming from my full-sized hfi-580's; the hiss from the ZO is even louder than from the hp out on my laptop. I purchased this product based on sound quality (which was great) and form factor, but the usability issues have really made it a huge letdown.

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #138 of 1,126
Yea looks like ZO really would need this high and low gain switch, low gain for IEMs/headphones at say 8 - 32 ohm and high for above 32 ohm. Can't hear any hissing with the HTF600 that's 64 ohm but then again I don't use LOD and have set my volume low on the source, ofc it might be worse if run as a LOD and maybe I could also hear it then with headphones, I don't know since I don't have a line-out to test with.

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #139 of 1,126

Quote:
Well I'm liking my ZO2 (since I'm a headphone user so no hissing here). Now I've kept switching back n forth between ZO1 and ZO2 and there's definitely some differences regarding imaging/positioning. The ZO2 seems to do better than ZO1 here, at least on the lowest contour level I think ZO2 does really really good. There seems to be a little bigger stage (less intimate, in your face) and the positioning is better, the "out-of-box" sound is enhanced similar to what Dolby Headphone does. This is something I'm really enjoying, I listened to a video on youtube with a guy speaking and it sounded like I was in the same room with him.

Is there any chance you could give the ZO2 a day or two before posting again ? ***, earlier in the same 24-hour period, you were prepared to throw the ZO2 out the window in favour of the ZO1 - I'm all for early impressions, but some of your posts have been all over the place - just give the thing a chance ....

This is what you said just a few hours prior to the post above:

I'm not convinced by ZO2, if I had to choose based on sound quality, I would probably have to pick ZO1 unfortunately. ZO1 is an unusually transparent sounding bass boost amp in it's price range with unusually good bass quality that is controlled and tight. ZO2 sounds more like a "typical" bass boost amp around $100. Sound quality wise I'd put ZO1 easily worth like 150~$200 (ie exceeding it's price point) while ZO2 is just about appropriate for its price, well 100~$120 or so.

I'm not disputing anything you have said - mine wont even be here for another week - but how many people would compare a unit with hundreds of listening hours to one with just a few ?  I agree that the hissing and the volume control from a lineout are issues, but giving such definitive subjective impressions so early in the life of the ZO2 is patently unfair.

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #140 of 1,126
Well that's me, I'm too impatient. :p Besides I didn't think amps would need to be burnt in as they work quite different from headphones and seems to me more unlikely to be effected by burn-in. I remember loving ZO1 at the very first listen I took but that may have been cuz of that I never had heard the ZO before then and now I'm comparing to ZO1 which has maaaany hrs on it. Do other manufacturers burn-in their amps? At least I very much doubt these amps get any kind of burn-in besides a quick test if it works or not. But based on the first listen I took and now after a day of use (probably around 6~7 hrs now) I do seem to have noticed a change so perhaps burn-in exists in amps too after all, at least what I've experienced so far would point to it.

So yea I'll try wait a while before commenting more on it.

EDIT: Editing my previous comments to point out that those early impressions should be taken with a pinch of salt as I seem to be in the burn-in process so I'm giving an unfair view of ZO2.

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #141 of 1,126

Quote:
I don't know about you but I'm so worried about the volume levels when trying out a new amp or source or whatever I usually put the volume automaticly to the lowest level before playing something and if I don't do that I'd at least never stick my headphones on before I've played something while not wearing them to make sure it's not scaringly loud. ^^

I mixed up the input and output ports so i turned the volume halfway up before switching the ports. I may have permanent hearing damage.

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #142 of 1,126

Quote:

Since we are going to discuss the problems some people are having or dislike about the ZO2.  Let's just make a list and then send it directly to Mizmoxie.

This is why we set up the feedback@digizoid.com email... for people to send us their feedback. 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 9, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #143 of 1,126
This is less about hardware burn-in than software - the extremely soft matter between your ears. You have literally gone from "this is a total POS sonically when compared to the ZO1 !" to "Hey, this thing isnt as bad as I said it was !" in the space of a few hours - the same phenomenon can be found in virtually every set of impressions written by newbies here and elsewhere. Based on your kit list, you would seem to be a serious basshead, and I havent read a review yet where it doesnt take time for the bass to 'kick in', be it headphones, amps and even DACs. In that case, I'm not talking newbies - I'm talking professional reviewers who have to measure their initial impressions against the likelihood of biting the hand that feeds.

We are fortunate, in that we can give impressions without fear or favour, but this tiny chunk of plastic was hyped unmercilessly on Head-Fi, and we owe it to ourselves to give the thing another day or two before ruling it out for those who are still sitting on the fence. Trust me, if it doesnt sound good to my ears after 20 hours listening time, you will be the first to hear all about it.

I was accused of having my 'serious head' on earlier, but this is DigiZoid's business we are trashing - lets not do that prematurely.

Nov 9, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #144 of 1,126

Quote:

This is why we set up the feedback@digizoid.com email... for people to send us their feedback. 
tongue_smile.gif

Understand, but as mentioned on page 9, we want to make sure all the issues are known. There is no way for us to know what you have received and more important what you have not.  Down the road I would hate to see a issue that was talked about on here, but not mentioned in a email and guess what.... never got resolved.

Nov 9, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #145 of 1,126
I never said ZO2 sounded bad even in the early impressions, I only compared it to ZO1 which is a product I've been so extremely happy with but even if I hadn't be extremely positive about it compared to ZO1 it had still probably beaten any sub $100 amp for me even out of box lol. The difference wasn't even huge out of box between the two but perhaps I made it sound that way. For me a relatively small difference can be quite a big matter to me as I'm used to spend time on tweaking software settings and such so I'm used to listen for differences. However what I didn't expect here was to experience such a huge difference after a bit burn-in so yea I totally apologize for that and like I said I already edited it in my previous comments that they are merely impressions and that it has changed since.

Nov 9, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #146 of 1,126

Quote:
Understand, but as mentioned on page 9, we want to make sure all the issues are known. There is no way for us to know what you have received and more important what you have not.  Down the road I would hate to see a issue that was talked about on here, but not mentioned in a email and guess what.... never got resolved.

I think they are bright enough to realise that a thousand emails complaining about hiss and overly loud volume means 'Houston, we have a problem'. If an issue as heavily discussed as hissing with sensitive IEMs slipped through the cracks on the first batch of ZO2s, what makes you think they are going to spend too much time on an email from someone complaining about the fact that they thought the ZO was a USB DAC ..... 

Nov 9, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #147 of 1,126

Quote:

Believe me, we pay very close attention to what's being said here on the threads. However, we have noticed in the past that sometimes people divulge more via emails for one reason or another. Also, we want to be able to understand *exactly* what people are experiencing and with what equipment on a case-by-case basis, which often times may be left out in a forum environment.     

Nov 9, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #148 of 1,126
+1 for CS that is actually trying to figure out what is wrong.

Quote:
Believe me, we pay very close attention to what's being said here on the threads. However, we have noticed in the past that sometimes people divulge more via emails for one reason or another. Also, we want to be able to understand *exactly* what people are experiencing and with what equipment on a case-by-case basis, which often times may be left out in a forum environment.     

Nov 9, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #149 of 1,126
So many IEM users here... I'm guessing from fellow headphone users that the hissing isn't a problem for us?

Nov 9, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #150 of 1,126
I can hear a tiny bit of hiss on my pro 900s, no problemo though, un-noticeable with music playing.

I heard a bit of distorted bass on 2005 by Excision and Downlink (lowest contour) and no distortion on highest contour on Raise Your Weapon (Stimming Dub)

I think i'm going to buy a volume control cable or an impedance adapter or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back