ZMFestivus II: October 5th, 2019
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 15, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #121 of 335
LOL!!! Fair enough... Honestly though, there is a bit of methodology to my madness. Reading through these forums, so many people seem to be on a constant “upgrade train” which seems endless. With constant upgrading, several folks say they regret not just getting exactly what they wanted from the get-go...
I understand your logic. The potential con to this method is that you may end up purchasing things that you later come to realize isn't quite to your tastes. Then, as you listen to tons of other gear, you begin to expand your listening palette, so to speak. You taste more "flavors" and realize that you once loved the sound of chocolate, but you actually prefer hints of chocolate added to a larger recipe consisting of fresh fruits, and a dash of lavender bitters.

Thus, one may spend $10,000 right off the bat and be happy forever. OR... (da-da-da-DUHHHN!) they end up realizing that their initial high-end purchase isn't their end-game. Meanwhile, someone ELSE spends $10,000 buying 20 different things, then thinks "Well now I know quite specifically what kinds of things I like, and how each item in my audio chain reacts and influences that next item. Now it's time for me to start getting [this expensive item], as preparation for my ultimate end-game desires."
I will say, however, that I doubt many truly, honestly, are always 100% satisfied. I think it's human nature to feel that way, though.

I don't mean to derail the thread too much. I apologize.

Aug 15, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #122 of 335
Her catch phrase is: "Im glad it makes you happy"
SAME HERE!!! Too funny. I wonder if it's something in the female DNA or something... :nerd:

Aug 16, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #123 of 335
SAME HERE!!! Too funny. I wonder if it's something in the female DNA or something... :nerd:

I think people just choose to experience music in different ways. I know many music lovers who are extremely passionate, but could not care less how they are listening to it. Different strokes.

Aug 16, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #124 of 335
I think people just choose to experience music in different ways. I know many music lovers who are extremely passionate, but could not care less how they are listening to it. Different strokes.
Yup. I have a good friend who thinks that I'm insane. He uses his iPhone 6 and Apple's earbuds...

Aug 16, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #125 of 335

I think a lot of music fans you're describing care more about good sound than they let on. That doesn't mean that they care about sound quality more than convenience or other ergonomic and lifestyle factors, or if they even consciously know what kind of sound they like. But if you somehow made that person's Airpods or Alexa sound better, my guess is they'd take that improved version over the older, crappier one in almost every instance.

Aug 16, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #126 of 335
I dont think too many people have ever heard how music sounds through a good system. I know when I was growing up I never heard depth,staging,separation,holographic imaging from speakers or headphones. Everything I listened to was a solid wall of sound,and I was happy...until I heard otherwise.
Folks dont know what to listen for IMHO.

Aug 21, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #128 of 335
@BooUrns what a wonderful list of things to do and places to eat in Chicago, you've got some of my favorites in there! If I may add one more: weather permitting, the architecture boat tour is a wonderful way to explore and learn about Chicago and its history.

@BooUrns , thanks for the offer! Yelp is great, local and personal knowledge is better. We'd love to check the box for a great local steakhouse (we'll be staying right downtown near the river), and any French restaurants too. Thx!

I'll second Bevin's recommendation of Bavette's for steak, it's very nice spot! Can't think of a French place at the moment (one of the places we liked, The Blanchard, closed a while ago :frowning2: ) but I'll update if something comes to mind. Maude's in the West Loop has very nice cocktails, and does serve French food - I didn't really try the food, but the ambiance and drinks are great!

Hyped to see you all in a few weeks!

Aug 21, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #129 of 335
@BooUrns - are you preparing name tags / badges with Head-Fi aliases?
I am asking, because there are quite a few people I would LOVE to meet in person, but since I have no idea how they look like......

Aug 21, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #130 of 335
Chicago has SO many fantastic restaurants, it's hard to pick a single steak house and say "this is the best". Any place that specializes in meat is a good bet though. One of my favorite steak houses is Tango Sur, a Latin American restaurant in Lakeview. Their skirt steak is one of my personal faves.

Aug 21, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #131 of 335
Chicago has SO many fantastic restaurants, it's hard to pick a single steak house and say "this is the best".

I was in Chicago back in 1999 and went to a place called Gene & Georgetti. That place rocked. No clue as to where it is in relation to where the event is taking place. Place looked like a scene straight outta The Godfather. Single waiter sitting on a stool,toothpick stuck in his mouth,reading a newspaper with casual indifference. Food was awesome though.

Aug 21, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #132 of 335
I was in Chicago back in 1999 and went to a place called Gene & Georgetti. That place rocked. No clue as to where it is in relation to where the event is taking place. Place looked like a scene straight outta The Godfather. Single waiter sitting on a stool,toothpick stuck in his mouth,reading a newspaper with casual indifference. Food was awesome though.
Gene and Georgetti’s is not near the venue, but it’s still around. Old school steak house but very good, apparently. Never been there myself. It’s kind of amazing it hasn’t closed, tbh since it’s such a volatile biz. Maybe a tourist trap that actually delivers?

A lot of the locals dine out in the West Loop neighborhood since it has the trendiest restaurants. I’d recommend trying the burger at Small Cheval at some point during your stay. I’ve had better burgers in town, but the Small Cheval cheeseburger hits a food memory like nothing else. It’s like Anton Ego at the end of Ratatouille. Haha. Au Cheval, the parent restaurant, usually has a preposterous wait but Small has a few locations and the wait is pretty standard.

If you’re a big food person, The Girl & The Goat actually lives up to the hype. As do Rick Bayless’ Mexican restaurants. If you are more adventurous, Parachute, a Korean fusion spot from a James Beard award winner, is worth the effort. That is actually not that far from the venue, but with any of these popular spots, make a reservation ASAP.

Can you tell I love food?! Haha.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #133 of 335
Gene and Georgetti’s is not near the venue, but it’s still around. Old school steak house but very good, apparently. Never been there myself. It’s kind of amazing it hasn’t closed, tbh since it’s such a volatile biz. Maybe a tourist trap that actually delivers?

It was a long time ago,but I do recall being miffed that when my thick baseball steak arrived the waiter/mafia hitman failed to provide a steak knife. Turned out no knife was needed. Only time in my life I cut a steak,and a thick one at that,simply using a fork.

Aug 22, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #135 of 335
If you’re a big food person, The Girl & The Goat actually lives up to the hype. As do Rick Bayless’ Mexican restaurants. If you are more adventurous, Parachute, a Korean fusion spot from a James Beard award winner, is worth the effort. That is actually not that far from the venue, but with any of these popular spots, make a reservation ASAP.

Are you me?! LOVE all the places you mentioned. Potato bing bread at Parachute is awesome and a must try if there IMO. I believe the visitors have a heck of a list to choose from now, good job Chicagoans :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back