ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread.
Sep 25, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #916 of 1,522
  Well my Vibros are here.  I was stupid and listened to them right away.  I was not blown away at all like I was hoping for.  But after a week or so of burn in time, they are really growing on me.  I need to give it a couple more months for me to decide the ultimate question...do I want to send them back for the blackwood tuning.  I'm really hesitant since it is irreversible.  In the meantime, I plan on doing some tube rolling too to see if I can find my sound.  I knew that the mids were elevated but man are they in your face. Some notes were a little pitchy at first but that seems to have calmed down and smoothed out thankfully.  Several songs last week were making me cringe and that would have been a deal breaker.  I also today upgraded to the bifrost uber and that has put a huge smile on my face.  The pads are the most comfortable I have ever experienced.  A HUGE source of annoyance is the fact that the stock cable is a split dual cord cable.  With a ten footer it just goes everywhere. Other than that, I'm really enjoying them.

You need to get used to them, they have a unique sound signature.

Sep 25, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #917 of 1,522
I recommend 100+ hours of burn in before the sound really evens out for good. There is an article I wrote about it on my blog. I do find that everything just sounds "easier" on a well broken in and used ZMF.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Sep 25, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #918 of 1,522
True^^ I didn't love mine for quite a while. I now enjoy them as much as the he560, but for different music. I'd say 100 hrs is close to what it took . Bass tightens, mids relax and treble becomes more apparent . They become very natural yet fun sounding. Everything seems to incorporate for its unique signature. I don't feel the need to upgrade between the two hps.

Sep 25, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #920 of 1,522
True^^ I didn't love mine for quite a while. I now enjoy them as much as the he560, but for different music. I'd say 100 hrs is close to what it took . Bass tightens, mids relax and treble becomes more apparent . They become very natural yet fun sounding. Everything seems to incorporate for its unique signature. I don't feel the need to upgrade between the two hps.

My ZMF are especially good with certain style of music production. They're particularly good with bebop though, which I didn't expect at all.

Sep 25, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #921 of 1,522
  V1 to the blackwoods should be quite the upgrade haha. That's quite a leap. Hopefully it delivers.

The V1 is still a very good headphone in his own right. Best investment in headphones I did so far.....

Sep 29, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #923 of 1,522
My ZMF are especially good with certain style of music production. They're particularly good with bebop though, which I didn't expect at all.

They shine best for me with rockabilly and a guilty pleasure Brit pop. Nick heywards last 3 records sound amazing. The mids just get my head all swimmy. Way better than the 560s there, but with textured pieces like boards of Canada the 560 kills them. Think it might be the open vs closed advantage .

Oct 5, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #924 of 1,522
I've searched this thread for "Oppo", "HA-2" and "HA2" (the latter two returned the same result set) and don't see any posts about this, so if I missed one, I apologize.  But, has anyone tried to drive the ZMF x Vibro with the Oppo HA-2 portable DAC/Amp?  If so, would you be willing to share your thoughts?

Thank you,
pat----

Oct 7, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #925 of 1,522
Between all of the ZMF headphones, which headphones would you guys recommend for EDM/Techno music?

Looking for something with amazing sub bass, non-recessed mids and smooth treble. or at least not sibilant.

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #926 of 1,522
I've searched this thread for "Oppo", "HA-2" and "HA2" (the latter two returned the same result set) and don't see any posts about this, so if I missed one, I apologize.  But, has anyone tried to drive the ZMF x Vibro with the Oppo HA-2 portable DAC/Amp?  If so, would you be willing to share your thoughts?

Thank you,
pat----

I had the same question a while back before I bought my Blackwoods and posted on the HA-2 thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/755879/oppo-ha-2-portable-headphone-amplifier-dac-discussion-thread/630#post_11458408

Pretty sure you'll get enough volume out of the HA-2. I think it's more a matter of if you like the sound sig of its DAC/amp combo. I only listened to it with an HE-560 and PM-3 and remember it sounding a bit warm and not-punchy. Nice form factor though. Best to give it a listen yourself.

Oct 8, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #927 of 1,522
Pretty sure you'll get enough volume out of the HA-2. I think it's more a matter of if you like the sound sig of its DAC/amp combo. I only listened to it with an HE-560 and PM-3 and remember it sounding a bit warm and not-punchy. Nice form factor though. Best to give it a listen yourself.

Thank you very much gixxerwimp.  I bought an HA-2 nearly a month ago when I had decided to go with the Oppo PM-3's.  It really sounds *very* nice, while set for low gain, driving my old open AKG K501's! :)

But while waiting for a refurb ($80 less) to become available, I continued my research and finally decided to go with the ZMF x Vibro when I discovered I could get a B-stock at a competitive price.  I think the wood looks nicer than the PM-3 and the larger ear cup diameter will help with my larger ears.  So I've got the HA-2, have the ZxV on order and was just wondering if the HA-2 would be able to drive the ZxV's. :)

pat----

Oct 8, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #928 of 1,522

Thank you very much gixxerwimp.  I bought an HA-2 nearly a month ago when I had decided to go with the Oppo PM-3's.  It really sounds *very* nice, while set for low gain, driving my old open AKG K501's! :)

But while waiting for a refurb ($80 less) to become available, I continued my research and finally decided to go with the ZMF x Vibro when I discovered I could get a B-stock at a competitive price.  I think the wood looks nicer than the PM-3 and the larger ear cup diameter will help with my larger ears.  So I've got the HA-2, have the ZxV on order and was just wondering if the HA-2 would be able to drive the ZxV's. :)

pat----

I had a Vibro X and found it not that much easier to drive than my HE 560 so not knowing your listening style I would say it may be a little underpowered.

Oct 8, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #929 of 1,522

I had a Vibro X and found it not that much easier to drive than my HE 560 so not knowing your listening style I would say it may be a little underpowered.

Thank you Sonic Defender!  In as much as I have the HA-2, I think I'm going to hold on until I receive the headphones and can give it a listen before I start researching a replacement portable USB DAC/Amp.  If I get lucky, it'll be fine as is or I'll have to use the high gain setting. <fingers crossed>

pat----

Users who are viewing this thread

Back